RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 acp 230 grain

Boolit Bub

45 acp 230 grain

Does anyone have load data for the 230 gr tumble lube 45 bullet that lee makes... I have blue dot, clay dot and trail boss for powders

Boolit Master

I assume you are meaning the truncated cone version?

The Lyman cast bullet handbook has it listed.
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I shoot the Lee 230gn 2R TL boolit all the time. Lots of load data in the books.

I use TiteGroup, 700X, and other fast powders.

Check your books!

bangerjim

Boolit Bub

I only have 2 books and one has cast loads but doesn't list any of my powders.

Boolit Bub

Can you guys list a load with blue dot , trail boss or clay dot.

Search function is your friend

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ACP-load-data-!
    230 GR. LRN Trail Boss .452" 1.200" 3.5 658 11,200 CUP max 4.5 761 15,100 CUP
    230 GR. LRN Clays .452" 1.200" 3.5 716 13,700 CUP max 4.0 793 16,800 CUP

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-in-the-45-ACP
    3.9 - 4.1 grains of Clays ...
    You probably already know this, but do be aware that there are 3 different "Clays" powders.
    There's "Universal Clays", "International Clays", and just plain old "Clays".
    and they all load differently

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

I've got about 40lbs of lead bullets dropped from a Lee TL-452-230-2R mold. They usually throw anywhere from 236 to 242grns depending on what mix of lead your using, I load both 45ACP and 45LC. I use Bullseye, 700X, or Unique, never had any issues, but than again I just shoot for the enjoyment of it. I'm not trying to knock a dime off the target at 25yrds. I'm by no means an expert at reloading.
    All of us Retired Military have been labeled Domestic Terrorists by the idiots in charge, since when does believing and supporting the Constitution make you a Terrorist? It's time we got rid of the idiots running the ship! Unfortunately they are just waiting on us to storm the gates with Pitch Forks and Torches.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Go out and buy the Lyman Cast Bullet book that Artful shows the page from above!!!!!

Excellent listing of weights and tons of powders. If you can't find your powder in those listing, you really have a problem!

The best book for us casters. Most of us do not care about FMJ loads that all the other books have tons of.

bangerjim

Boolit Bub

I'll go buy it today...just bought my first 1911 a sig one

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Does anyone have load data for the 230 gr tumble lube 45 bullet that lee makes...
    If you have Lee Dies, just unfold the paper in the die case and you have plenty loading data for the bullet
    They also do a super job with their reloading manual - An Excellent Reference in Your Library ... http://www.midwayusa.com/product/639...loading-manual
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

4.5 grs. of Red Dot and Titegroup is all I've used. I have some Clays that I will try when I have time.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Master
    Doubt you will get great results using Blue dot in the 45 with cast. They will work, I just remember alot of unburned powder using it in a 45 colt with cast. And you will also use alot of it, vs other powders. Trailboss generally is at the bottom of the chart when it comes to velocity, I have used it in other things, would it even cycle a gun? Clays should give decent results, but might want to look around for something that would give better results. I have been using Shilouette in my cast 45 230gr.

Banned

clays start load of 3.5 max of 4.0

trial boss start load of 3.5 max of 4.5

this is from Hodgdon website

bluedot 7.5 to 10.5 according to my lyman manual.

I love bluedot in my 45 acp, forget the charge at the moment.

Banned

why is the unique blotted out?

Boolit Master
    I don't know anything about Clay Dot (there are so many Clay powders out there, it gets confusing). Blue Dot is an excellent powder for my magnum rounds, I haven't attempted to load it for my 1911... I just don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling with Blue Dot in the .45acp, I save it for my .357mag and .44mag. Trail Boss is a powder I have, and would like to try in my 1911, I just haven't yet. I wouldn't expect much more than a "mouse fart" load with it, but it looks like it should be a good powder for a practice round if it will reliably cycle.

If you choose to try the Trail Boss, I'll be curious to how it worked out.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    why is the unique blotted out?
    I wondered about that as well. It bugged me enough that I had to go look in my Lyman Cast handbook 4th Edition.

Looking at the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition on page #278

With Alliant Unique, it shows a MAXIMUM of 7.3 grains with a Lyman 452374 and an OAL of 1.272. The test pistol (not pictured) is listed as a Universal receiver with a 5" barrel.

That's a bit higher than I like to go with Unique for most of my 45 ACP applications. I also require a somewhat shorter OAL closer to 1.25 - 1.26 to get a cartridge to pass a plunk test in either my Colt or my Springfield 1911 barrel.

That Lyman 4th Edition Cast load seems a tad high compared with other referenced data, and was probably only intended only for that specific Lyman boolit, and OAL.

I'm guessing that Artful thought it was a bit high as well (and I agree) and blocked it out to prevent any accidents.

In comparison, Alliant's online reloader's guide suggests a start load of 4.8 grains of Unique and a MAXIMUM of 5.4 grains using a 230 grain Speer LRN and a 1.27 OAL.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx

The Lyman 4th Edition cast load could be potentially unsafe if you experienced say mild boolit set back for example. It is warmer than I prefer to go with my 45 ACP loads at any rate, and another good reason why you should always check a few different sources of loading data when getting an idea for your load work up.

I personally load the Lee TL452-230-2R to an OAL 1.265 over 6.0 grains of Unique

I have also used the same 6.0 grains of Unique load with RN plated or jacketed bullets at the same loaded cartridge overall length (1.265 OAL) in my 1911's, and had good results.

I consider 6.5 grains of Unique to be my personal top end MAX with either a jacketed or a cast boolit. Often accuracy deteriorates before I get to that point. It's quite peppy in 45 ACP, and tends to be a tad faster than military hardball loads when shot across a chronograph in my pistols.

I find that things work best (accuracy & no leading) around 6.0 grains of Unique or less for me with a 230 grain cast boolit. That's no powder puff load, and it comes pretty close to duplicating hardball velocity and point of aim.

I know some folks go as high as 7 grains of Unique, but that's pushing things too much for me when I'm simply target shooting. While it may be safe, (Unique is often pretty predictable when you add a few tenths of a grain to a case) again it is higher than I like to load 45 ACP in a 1911.

If I need more velocity in 45 caliber, I use a different platform than the 1911 such as a stout revolver, coupled with a slower burning powder.

- Bullwolf
    Last edited by Bullwolf; 08-02-2014 at 12:06 AM.

Boolit Man

I only use Bullseye and load 4.2 gn with my 230 RN PC bullets.

Frank
    USAF Retired: SAC Trained Warrior
    "Fighting for my 2nd Amendment Rights"
    WWG1WGA
    Where is Durham and McAfee? Asking for a friend…..

Boolit Grand Master

Which books do you have? Lyman's 4th edition Cast Bullet handbook is among the best. If you can score a 3rd edition, jump on it. If you can score two, I'll buy it from you. If you don't have the Lee manual, buy it. It's cheap. It's good. Just like most everything Lee makes. It talks about a lot of Lee tools, casting and even black powder. Richard Lee is a tireless self-promoter but most of his stuff is quite good.
    My go-to fast pistol powder is 231. I've had good luck with Unique in the 45acp but prefer 231. There are probably better powders, it's just a sentimental favorite for me. I have no experience with the powders you list but a fast powder and a good manual will get you in the ball game. Pistol powders are pretty scarce in my neck of the woods but if you have Universal Clays instead of "Clay Dot" you'll be OK.

Welcome to the affliction! Study Uncle Nick's "plunk test" drawings above. Seating depth is critical for the 45acp and no manual (other than Lee's) will come close to giving you the correct COAL.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've preached here for a very long time that Lyman's data using the 452374 and their top load of Unique is WAY too hot. Glad others agree.

Lyman has listed that load for years, and it should have been revised lower long ago. If they won't do it, concerned individuals will do it for them.

Agree that 6.5 is plenty fast, and 6 grains duplicates standard ball very well with the 230-2R Lee.

Boolit Grand Master

I've preached here for a very long time that Lyman's data using the 452374 and their top load of Unique is WAY too hot. Glad others agree.-35remington

I've used a slighty lower charge under a 200 gr CCI "flying ashtray" bullet and it was definitely a max load. Does seem a bit odd to publish (and continue to publish) a load that hot.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast