WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: RPM window ??

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters

RPM window ??

I just got to wondering today about bullet lubes and centrifugal force . I would think the softer lubes would come off the bullet easier than hard lube . I seems that the effect would be better on bullet stability . Does the idea make sense ? anybody ever worked on that angle much ??

Thanks , Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    I just got to wondering today about bullet lubes and centrifugal force . I would think the softer lubes would come off the bullet easier than hard lube . I seems that the effect would be better on bullet stability . Does the idea make sense ? anybody ever worked on that angle much ??

Thanks , Jack
    Where do you think it would go sealed in the lube groove between steel and lead? Is this another taunt Larry party?

I have heard of shooting through a cardboard tub to see if the lube stays on or comes off the bullet.
    I do get lube on the chronograph if I set up too close.
    Mr. Bill2

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, the soft lubes jettison upon exit of the crown, and yes, centrifugal force is what makes it go away, and yes, I do believe it is more accurate. The lube is like a sabot. It flies off evenly and the naked boolit is free to travel on in a balanced state.

Harder lubes not only do not work very well, but they stick to the boolit (mostly) as it goes downrange.

Not that I know jack diddly about lube, but I know how it works physically on exit. You can demonstrate this by shooting through a piece of paper. It will be splattered with lube.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks , Jack
    Makes complete sense and is well documented. Several threads have covered this and I mention it often as on of the criteria to push the RPM Threshold. I've conducted high velocity/RPM tests on numerous lubes (one of the many "variables" I'm accused of not taking into consideration). The ones that purge from the bullet immediately on bullet exit from the muzzle give the best accuracy. Here's a picture I've posted several times regarding this subject. You can readily see the lube splatters all over all 3 screens. Start screen is always 15' from muzzle.

Larry Gibson

Attachment 109402

Larry,You wouldn't have so many accuracy issues if you'd move the Chevy out of the way!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BABore View Post
    Larry,You wouldn't have so many accuracy issues if you'd move the Chevy out of the way!
    Had so many problems with a chevy, it is in the right spot! I dare not mention a friends Ford, his driveway is worn away from crawling under it so much!
    Larry and Goodsteel are correct, I recovered too many boolits with chunks of hard lube still stuck in places. It is why I love Felix lube.
    Jack, you are a little behind because the fact has been preached here forever.
    I give a prayer every time I use it, may Felix rest in peace. The greatest loss to us ever.
    A moment of silence, PLEASE!

Banned

I did not know that Felix had passed away!! When did it happen? He always had good stuff to say and was a real gentleman. Did I miss the thread?
    Don

Boolit Man
    A buddy of mine bought a new Silverado back in 2005, paid like 30k for it. got on some slick stuff and couldn't move. I went to a neighbor's and a $3000 old ford pulled him out. I teased him about it for days. He was hatin' life.

I didn't post the thread to start a taunt Larry thread , I think what got it started was seeing LBT blue splattered on my hundred yard target .

Though now that you mention Larry , I did wonder why he mentioned giving some of my Javalina lube stash a good home

My test bullets are RCBS 22-55-SP using LBT blue . The cartridge is the .223 Remington , at fourteen hundred feet per second even iron sights give good groups and no splatter on the target . Boost the velocity using nineteen and a half grains of surplus 4895 and lube splatter appears . On a warm day with a warm barrel to soften the lube a bit , I can see it leave a smoke trail to the target .

Thanks guys !

Jack

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BABore View Post
    Traded it in shortly after...........

Larry Gibson

PS; on another Silverado!Attachment 109473

Boolit Grand Master

Jack

You are sending the Javelina? I'll pay shipping?

Larry Gibson

He he he he !! you are a funny man !

Jack

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    I did not know that Felix had passed away!! When did it happen? He always had good stuff to say and was a real gentleman. Did I miss the thread?
    Don
    We lost him April 22 of this year. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...obbins-History
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Thanks for that David. I don't know how I missed that thread. Felix was one of a kind.
    Don

Boolit Grand Master

I didn't post the thread to start a taunt Larry thread , I think what got it started was seeing LBT blue splattered on my hundred yard target .

Though now that you mention Larry , I did wonder why he mentioned giving some of my Javalina lube stash a good home

My test bullets are RCBS 22-55-SP using LBT blue . The cartridge is the .223 Remington , at fourteen hundred feet per second even iron sights give good groups and no splatter on the target . Boost the velocity using nineteen and a half grains of surplus 4895 and lube splatter appears . On a warm day with a warm barrel to soften the lube a bit , I can see it leave a smoke trail to the target .

Thanks guys !

Jack
    Jack, was that LBT Blue Soft lube, or hard? There are two flavors.
    Thanks
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

I believe it to be the hard but not the commercial grade . I bought it a very long time ago when I think he had three flavors but I could be wrong . I'm sure it's not the soft because I remember the description back then said the soft was the consistency of modeling clay .

Jack

Black Rifles Matter

Quote Originally Posted by NVScouter View Post
    Where do you think it would go sealed in the lube groove between steel and lead? Is this another taunt Larry party?
    My bullets actually make it out of the forward end of the barrel. His do also.

Oh the humanity!
    There is some ammo and more ammo. There is never enough ammo!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by NVScouter View Post
    . Visit the lasc website and read the bullet lube article,,,it explains where the lube goes when squished between lead and steel.

Boolit Grand Master

A "party" for Larry............

Just bring a good heffy, good Canadian whiskey or good marguerites' and let's party on down...........

Larry Gibson