Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Condensation on outside of scope

Boolit Master

Condensation on outside of scope

I have a Weaver rimfire 2-7x28 scope. When I take the thing outside I get condensation on the objective lens. I have let the scope sit for over an hour, but the condensation will not go away. I can wipe it off or blow on it and a few seconds later it's back. Now, it's 95 degrees and 50% RH here. While I understand this can be a problem, my other scopes do not do the same thing.

I e-mailed Weaver and they said sent it in and 6-8 weeks I'd get it back. My question is, is it broken or acting normally considering the weather? I hate to go through a hassle when the end result is they cannot duplicate the issue.

Boolit Grand Master
    Warm moist air toughing a cool surface will cause condensation on a tea glass, an objective lens of a scope , a camera lens, etc., etc. If you remove the factor " cool surface ", you won't have condensation. If your scope is allowed to warm to within a few degrees of the outside temperature , you will not see the condensation. Example, the outside air is 95 degrees, the scope is 90 degrees, you should not see condensation.

Many people who take a camera or scope out of an air conditioned home and walk outside to 90 degree humid air will experience the same identical thing.

Nothing wrong with your scope.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 07-01-2014 at 08:38 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Warm moist air toughing a cool surface will cause condensation on a tea glass, an objective lens of a scope , a camera lens, etc., etc. If you remove the factor " cool surface ", you won't have condensation. If your scope is allowed to warm to within a few degrees of the outside temperature , you will not see the condensation. Example, the outside air is 95 degrees, the scope is 90 degrees, you should not see condensation.

Many people who take a camera or scope out of an air conditioned home and walk outside to 90 degree humid air will experience the same identical thing.

Nothing wrong with your scope.

Ben
    I am inclined to agree with you. However, I am a bit confused because two of my other scopes were taken out the same day under the same conditions and did not have the condensation. Additionally, I used a hair dryer to warm up the obj lens, but this didn't stop the problem either. I also allowed the rifle and scope to adjust to the outside environment with no effect. I might try an anti-fog cleaner and see if that helps.

Boolit Master
    Some of the newer scopes have a hydrophobic coating that just really does not like to let water condense onto it. I have the same coating on my eyeglasses. the best that you could do, I guess is one of the fog proof treatments......or a little dish soap. Something with glycerin in it. I've got some bushnell and loopy scopes that can have water condense all over the body but none shows on the lenses.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OuchHot! View Post
    Some of the newer scopes have a hydrophobic coating that just really does not like to let water condense onto it. I have the same coating on my eyeglasses. the best that you could do, I guess is one of the fog proof treatments......or a little dish soap. Something with glycerin in it. I've got some bushnell and loopy scopes that can have water condense all over the body but none shows on the lenses.

I tried a couple of mixtures of dish soap and distilled water. I think I saw some improvement, but not totally. It did make the lens nice and clean though. I will try a commercial product when I place an order online or see one in the store.

Boolit Master
    I have used a product called "cat ****" hopefully that is tongue in cheek marketing. It does work.....this four eyes managed hunting Ak and without it, would have been blind.starts with C and rhymes with wrap.
    Last edited by OuchHot!; 07-02-2014 at 03:19 PM. Reason: stupid pc editor

Boolit Master

Upon further examination I think the fogging is internal. Today was cooler and less humid, but I still had the fogging. I noticed that when I held the objective up, the scope cleared. When I pointed it down, the scope fogged. I guess this is what I was doing when I was wiping it, holding it up. So, it's boxed and will be mailed out tomorrow. I hope Weaver takes care of me as I really like the scope and was even thinking about buying another one.

Boolit Master
    Well, that may not be the situation we would like but I'm sure Weaver will resolve it for you. I have several of their rimfire scopes and like them a lot. Amateur astronomy folk find dewing of optics to be a real problem and where you point the lens pretty much determines how warm the optic will get. This may be why it fogs when you point downward. Less infra red into the lens??? I hope Weaver takes care of you.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OuchHot! View Post
    Well, that may not be the situation we would like but I'm sure Weaver will resolve it for you. I have several of their rimfire scopes and like them a lot. Amateur astronomy folk find dewing of optics to be a real problem and where you point the lens pretty much determines how warm the optic will get. This may be why it fogs when you point downward. Less infra red into the lens??? I hope Weaver takes care of you.
    Yes, but this is a new problem with a scope I've had for a couple of years. At first I was sure it was condensation on the outside since it was unusually humid here. But yesterday it dried up and cooled off and the problem is still there. I'll see what they do. Like I said, I like the two Weaver scopes I have and would like to get another.

Boolit Master

I got my scope back last night from Weaver. The paperwork said the scope had a "loose erector lens/prism." I'm not sure what that is, but I guess that's what caused it to leak and that's why it fogged. I could have sworn the fog was on the outside at first. But, now I know better. It's all fixed. It took less than 3 weeks to include shipping back and forth. The only cost to me was shipping it back.

Boolit Master
    I am glad to hear that they took care of you. I have several of those scopes and find them near the equal of the loopy rimfire scopes. I never had a problem with mine but it is good to know they have effective customer service.