Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Range Report: Uberti .38-55 Highwall

Boolit Master

Range Report: Uberti .38-55 Highwall

Took the .38-55 Highwall to the range yesterday with the idea of playing around a little bit with different apertures in the front sight. Found that I seem to shoot better with the 'lollipop' apertures but don't really care for the Lyman discs 'cause they block out too much of the area around the target...will probably order a set of Lee Shaver's.

Anyway, it had been awhile since I shot the rifle off a really solid rest...usually it's x-sticks or a folded towel on top of an ammo box...so I stacked a few bags on the bench and put down a pad for my elbows. Gotta brag just a bit on the results.

Load is 20.0 gr. of IMR4198 (with a Dacron fill) loaded in W-W cases under a plain-base 304 gr. RNFP (old NEI mould modified by Buckshot), pan-lubed with Emmert's and loaded 'as cast' (.380). Sights are a Lee Shaver Mid-Range rear and a Lyman 17A front (with Lyman's smallest aperture disc).

Paper target was shot at 100M and is, actually, 11 shots 'cause I called the 9-ring flyer at 10 o'clock and took an extra shot. Even including the flyer, group measures just under 2 1/4 c-t-c...and, without it, just under 2".

The 12" steel plate at 300M was my last group of the morning; 5 shots into 4 1/4" Would've gone for 10 there, too, but was out of ammunition.

Attachment 109338 Attachment 109339
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

Nice shooting. Pic of gun? mikey

Weellllll I was excited about shooting a 2" group with my new 280 gr. boolit in 35 whelen with a 3x9 scope set on 9 power @ 100 yds. the other day, but not so much now!
    Wow...that's nice shooting with iron sights of ANY kind. Good going and a nice rifle!

Boolit Master
    Excellent shooting and load development Kraschenbrin..

Boolit Master
    I can say that you and that rifle are shooting really well.

Boolit Master
    My Uberti highwall .38-55 would not have shot so well with that sized bullet, it needed at least .382" bullets to group at all, got rid of it.