WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: remington 721

In Remembrance

My 722 in 222 is very accurate and will be passed on to my grandsons some day. It's original owner developed alzheimers and the family got rid of his guns. It was equipped with a peep sight and has been replaced with a scope.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The 770 is seriously one ugly rifle. I'm sure it shoots well but the stock looks like it could stand to lose about 20 pounds. What's up with what looks like mold residue dripping off the trigger guard?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I've had a couple of 721 30-06s. Still have one. Really a basic good hunting rifle. Not too different from the 700 ADL. The only "weakness", for lack of a better term, with the 721 is the extractor as everyone knows about or has heard about. The 721 extractor is problematic because they are difficult to find and it appears Remington and all the aftermarket makers have ignored it. And yes they do break or lose function over time so at some point a decision may have to be made: try to find a scarce NOS replacement or re-do the extractor with something like a Sako type or M16 type.

The book Horn Of The Hunter by Ruark, reveals how much Selby's 721, 30-06 "camp" rifle was relied upon, used and abused during those years on Safari. Life was hard on camp rifles under those conditions and at one point the barrel had to be replaced. The most recent pictures of that famous rifle clearly show the bolt was also replaced with a M700 bolt.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a model 721 in 300 H&H. Excellent rifle. Numerous elk & deer have been harvested with it.

Boolit Master
    The picture of Selby's 721 was in a recent American Rifleman article. I asked about the Mod 700 bolt and was informed that it actually was still using the original bolt and extractor but someone had put in the wrong bolt when it was time for its photograph. That rifle has been through the mill and has held up like a champ, cauliflower ears and all.

Jerry Liles

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 13Echo View Post
    The picture of Selby's 721 was in a recent American Rifleman article. I asked about the Mod 700 bolt and was informed that it actually was still using the original bolt and extractor but someone had put in the wrong bolt when it was time for its photograph. That rifle has been through the mill and has held up like a champ, cauliflower ears and all.
    Jerry Liles
    Thanks for the clarification! Wonder why or how an M700 bolt got put in the M721 for the photo? strange

Here's a pic of the M721 in Selby's article, March 2012 American Rifleman. Note the carved stock and M700 bolt, also has the replacement Douglas barrel after the original bore was damaged by a mud dauber/moisture.
    Last edited by fouronesix; 08-02-2014 at 12:06 AM.

Boolit Master
    Here's my remaining 721, 30-06. I found the barreled action in a pawn shop for 250.00. Just happened to have a 721 stock in storage (long story) and a Redfield receiver sight in a junk box. Did a light refinish on the stock, put it together and one of the first 5 shot trials to check for accuracy potential was with 150 NBTs over Rel 19 @ 50 yards. I had zeroed to POA @ 50 yards during the previous range session.

Boolit Master
    There was a thread some time ago on this or another forum about a 722 .300 Savage. The owner cleaned up the stock and did some gentle reshaping, put on a forend tip, red rubber solid pad, and cut nice point pattern checkering on the grip and forend. Turned into a rather attractive little rifle.

Boolit Master
    I bought my son a 721 in .30-06 for his first hunting rifle. The stock is kind of jacked up but is usable for now. Will a Boyds Rem 700 stock fit it? I would like to restock it for him for Christmas.

Thanks,
    Doc

Boolit Master
    Nevermind. Answered my own questions.

Boolit Buddy

Boyd's have a 721 stock. I just ordered one.

Centex Bill

Boolit Buddy
    I checkered my 721 stock. It was a tedious project, but it dressed it up quite a bit. Made it a lot nicer to carry in the brush.

Has anyone replaced the stamped trigger guard and floor plate?

Where exactly can you buy a new extractor?

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, Sgt. Mike, I will grab one.

Boolit Master

Rem 721 in 30-06 + Deer = Harvest
    A Texas Forkhorn
    Mike

Two years later, same 721

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CENTEX BILL View Post
    Boyd's have a 721 stock. I just ordered one.

Centex Bill

Yep, that is how I answered my own question. I ordered a walnut one with checkering for my boy. You only get one first hunting rifle. Thanks!

Doc

Boolit Master
    Wow, nice buck! Looks like a mule deer mix.

Boolit Master

I like shooting older grey roman nosed mule deer, they are past prime and therefore
    will not affect herd growth, and they taste better than hormoned up bucks.

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12