WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: surplus pistol powder

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by yancey View Post
    I think some call them that . North Georgia Reloading
    Oh !" By the way Ron of Va" Welcome to the forum .
    Yancey, thanks for the welcome, I am glad to be here.
    I am going to try to shoot some more test loads of this powder through the chronograph on Monday
    (edit; can't go monday).
    I will post the results.
    Testing: 45 acp 230g FMJ 5.5g
    and 45 acp 230g FMJ @ 5.8g (label recommendation)
    and 38 spec. 125 RN @ 4.6g
    9mm 125 RN @4.2

Chrony; Oehler 35P
    Last edited by Ron of Va; 07-12-2014 at 12:39 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    dang last go around with this at $10.00 a pound I thought was a bit high ,,, I'm wondering what a guy might pick-up the CSB-1 one for if you took a 50# keg

Boolit Buddy
    we are getting pistol powder labeled csb-1, only hearing a story about how it is getting here. being purchased in 55 lb drums, then divvied up. looked on google and found this. compare yours to these pics

http://www.shooterspagetx.com/rio/co...ts_powders.htm
    Last edited by r6487; 07-22-2014 at 07:58 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by r6487 View Post
    we are getting pistol powder labeled csb-1, only hearing a story about how it is getting here. being purchased in 55 lb drums, then divvied up. looked on google and found this. compared your to these pics

http://www.shooterspagetx.com/rio/co...ts_powders.htm
    Mine looks more like CSB-5 than the CSB-1

Mine also looks like CSB-5 and not CSB-1

Boolit Mold
    The following data is a result of my testing of this Surplus Powder. Velocities are averages.

38 Special (4”barrel)
    158g SWC 4.6g powder 875fps
    124 RN 4.6g powder 860fps

45acp (5” barrel”)
    230g FMJ 5.5g powder 755fps
    230g FMJ 5.8g 805fps

9mm (3.75” barrel: friends gun, Berretta, so not sure)
    125g RN 4.0g 1020fps

40 S&W (3” barrel)
    165 JHP 5.5g 905fps

I am not sure what happened with the 45acp velocities the last time, but obviously human error.

Boolit Bub
    The container, labeling, and powder looks a lot like some powder I recently picked up at a local gun show. The vendor was Magnum Materials out of TN, real nice folks. $25 per pound out the door and as I also can't find a source for pistol powder decided it was worth some testing. I started a thread here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...us-Powder-Data

Banned

I know at a 159 bucks a keg i wouldnt even bother with it. you can get comercial powders like unique for that money. thats the problem with about all the surplus anymore. the component shortages drove the price right up there with comercial because it was about all that you could find. Now the availability of comercials is comming back and there still trying to make a killing off the surplus.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    I know at a 159 bucks a keg i wouldnt even bother with it. you can get comercial powders like unique for that money. thats the problem with about all the surplus anymore. the component shortages drove the price right up there with comercial because it was about all that you could find. Now the availability of comercials is comming back and there still trying to make a killing off the surplus.
    The shortages did drive the price up ! " Down in my area powder is still hard to find but i have been able to find a few of my Favorites.

Boolit Master
    I think powders will become quite available soon. I haven't seen any Salut for a long time and doubt that is what you have.

There is a powder here lately for $20 a pound called Spanish Universal which is right next to Unique in the burn chart and might be what you are dealing with. That is too much as it will drop drastically in the next month.

In the local stores, I am starting to see a lot of powders when a month ago there were none and the same panic that people have where they are afraid they can't get powder will hit the sellers that are afraid that they won't be able to sell it. There is much powder in the hands of people now that they will never use because they bought it in panic and don't even reload that will eventually be sold at a great loss. I knew people that would buy ammunition even in calibers they didn't use because they saw them on the shelf and hoped they could trade them for the calibers they did use. Without this kind of thinking, this all couldn't have happened. That is why components for even odd calibers like 32 ACP were bought up. How many people actually reload for this caliber and how many shots do they shoot in a year. As soon as ammo is available for these people, their thoughts will change because they don't really want to reload anyway.

Boolit Mold
    I talked with North Georgia Reloading today. these are the folks that sold me this powder.

The guy there said that the powder labeled Surplus powder, is CSB-1 from Spain.

So if anyone is looking for data on CSB-1, it is posted on the label in the photo in this thread.

I was in their store the other day and noticed some two pound bottles marked CSB-1. ( My bottles only have load data)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12