Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Typical Dovetail size on rimfires?

Boolit Grand Master

Typical Dovetail size on rimfires?

I have a Voere 22 mag I inherited from my father. No sights. Just a dovetail mount on the receiver. What is the typical size and what is the best way to measure it to check? Ring suggestions? It is a glossy blued steel receiver.

Boolit Buddy

Calipers to measure. Most are 3/8"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by IraqVet1982 View Post
    Calipers to measure. Most are 3/8"
    Is that at the top of the dovetail?

I know it sounds stupid, or at least elementary, but I've always had weaver rings and bases or Ruger rings with Rugers integral bases.

Boolit Master
    Most European rimfires are 11mm. That's measured across the top of the dovetail.

Boolit Buddy

My guess is the mount is after market. If it's not 3/8 or 11mm then it's probably a weaver mount. Best of luck.

Boolit Grand Master

It was .425" across the top with my micrometer so I'm guessing it is indeed an 11mm rimfire dovetail. Now to try to find some rings locally.

Boolit Buddy

Are the mounts screwed in? If so, it might be easier to get a new base or rings specific to your rifle. I have no experience with 11mm scope bases though.

Boolit Master
    If you have a set of rings, they make 11mm adapters. I have one on a rifle that changes it to a picatinny rail.

Boolit Grand Master

It is an integral dovetail on the receiver. It is drilled and tapped for bases, but probably near impossible to find. If you want to see the gun in question, http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Info-on-Voere

Boolit Mold
    Don't know what's easily available in the US, but if you were in the UK you would just look for good quality airgun scope rings, these are 11mm as standard. I have rings like that on a Finnfire, with no problems. Look for example at the Blackpool Air Rifles page http://www.airgunbuyer.com and go to "telescopic mounts". BKL are good quality. I think B-Square is a US company? You might be shocked by the UK prices, though....

Boolit Mold
    Just occurred to me that there could be a caveat to the airgun ring suggestion. Most euro airguns and rimfires have a flat area between the rails of the 11mm dovetail. I have an Anschutz 1730, which is built on a tubular model 54 action. This has grooves cut into the receiver, but a circular profile between them. If your rifle is like that, some airgun rings may foul on this raised area.

The 1730 was like your rifle in also being tapped for bases. These turned out to be exactly the same dimensions as a Remington 541 base, which is what it now has, along with Burris Sig Zee rings. There is enough uniformity between German rifles that you might find exactly the same applies to yours.

Boolit Grand Master

I found an article stating they have 3/8" dovetails so I'm gonna look for a cheap aluminum set to confirm and if so, will likely order a nice steel set to go with it.

Boolit Buddy

For less than $7 shipped you can't beat these.
    http://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002IKQZO/
    Wal-Mart probably has some for cheap too.

Boolit Grand Master

Better yet guys. Some research has yielded that my rifle and the Remington 541 takes the same bases. Time to order some glossy steel bases and rings. Now the question is which scope? Looking to stay 12x or under and want to use medium rings so that the scope isnt too high. Suggestions? I've got a cheap 4x16 Wally World special downstairs so the scope is t super high priority but would like to put one on that is worthy.

Boolit Buddy

Take it to the range and see how accurate it is. Ensure there are no issues with the barrel or action. If you love it, determine your budget for a scope and that'll define which scope you can afford/want to buy.

Boolit Master
    Leopold 2x7 rimfire is my go to for rimfire glass