Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sr 4756 ???

Banned

Sr 4756 ???

What's it good for??

I picked up a mostly full can of IMR SR 4756 today at the gunshow ($5). I understand it to be a handgun/shotgun powder?? Is this correct??

Does it have any application for reduced loads in rifle cartridges?

Burning rate neighborhood??

Thanks for input.

SSB

Banned

shotgun slug loads I believe....

Boolit Master
    4756 is a good powder for reduced loads. Just a bit slower than Unique, I have had real good results with everything you would use Unique for use about 1 grain more of 4756, ie 357(160gr) @7 gr Unique- use 8gr of 4756 or 30-30(150 gr) @10 gr Unique use 11 gr of 4756. Another good one 41 mag 212 gr/8.5 gr 4756.
    Only thing I don't care for is the 1/2 lb can and it's price, so Unique is still my go to for that burn rate powder.

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Boolit Master
    HI JonK,

Isn't it SR 4759 that comes in the 1/2 pound cans? I have seen the 4756 listed as a pistol & shotgun powder.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    4756 has the burn speed of Herco, and is therefore a single base version of Herco for all pistol cases. 4756 burns better at lower pressures than Herco from experience, and that is why I would choose it over Herco. Yes, 4756 comes in half pound cans. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    Newtire,
    I stand corrected...................4756 now comes in 1 lb/4 lb & 8 lb. See been so long since I bought any, for years it was 1/2 lb & 4 lb cans.

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Boolit Master
    But the load info is right then. I'll have to give it a try. they say it's good for pistols so guess I need a can!

Boolit Master
    I use SR4756 in my 32-20 handguns. It was in Ken Waters' "Pet Loads" and works very, very well for that (even better than Unique). However, I have had problems with adapting it to other loads and other cartridges.

Reducing the charge below his 6.0gr with a 100gr bullet doesn't work very well. This is somewhat stiff and should not be used in 100 year old guns. Below about 5.5gr, the accuracy starts going bad. I have taken it down to 4.5gr and group sizes were 2 to 3 times larger. I also took it up a little higher and found that there were unexplained "surges", giving pressure signs and flyers.

It did not adapt well with the .32 Magnum either. No load I tried in it was as good as several loads I have with other powders. I have tried it in 9mm without success, too. I have not tried it in shotguns.

I guess I don't understand the stuff, but it works so well with my 32-20's, I keep a pound around at all times.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range, 2009 Phil's Avatar
    Thats odd Harry O, 4756 is the best powder I've found for cast bullets in the 9x19. I use the Lee 122 grain truncated cone (not tumble lube) and it works great. I haven't tried it for rifles yet, I'm about out of it. Another powder that works well in the 9mm's for me is HS-6.

Cheers,

Phil

Boolit Master
    SSB, I've got most of a can (8 oz) circa '67 and still has the TG&Y price tag - $4.19. I purchased several cans new sometime in the mid to late 70s.

Boolit Buddy
    I use 10 gr 4756 with 148-150gr Lee in my Marlin 30as as a reduced load around 1400 fps.

Good accuracy and just plain fun to shoot.

enjoy
    Dave

Banned

hmmm, maybe me gets confused with 4756 and 4759...

Boolit Master
    I use 11.0-12.0 gr of SR-4756 in my .44-40's behind the 180-to-210-gr cast and jacketed bullets. This is my dual purpose load for rifle and pistol. I can get more accurate loads for one or the other with other powders, but typically they'll work for rifles but not in pistols or the reverse. 4756 doesn't seem to recoil as violently as loads using Unique and it burns a lot cleaner.

I've just started trying to develop loads with it in the .32-20. So far 5.25 gr behind the Ideal 311316 seems to work OK, but there is no sticky extraction at 5.5 gr, the heaviest loading I've tried so far.

I've only seen the old square DuPont cans of it, light green, that normally hold a pound of powder but in the case of 4756 and 4759 they hold half a pound.

Boolit Master

Great! powder in the forty cal also

Boolit Master

I shot the best 100 yard group and score ever with 16.0 gr. of SR4756 and the RCBS
    30-150-FN in an Rem. 03A3 at a mil. bolt match in April 06 on the SR21 target, a perfect
    100-6X score and a group of 1.05.
    I have yet to do it again, but I have came close a time or two.
    Been intending to try it in the swede, swiss and mosine but haven't got around to it.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Thats odd Harry O, 4756 is the best powder I've found for cast bullets in the 9x19. I use the Lee 122 grain truncated cone (not tumble lube) and it works great. I haven't tried it for rifles yet, I'm about out of it. Another powder that works well in the 9mm's for me is HS-6.
    Phil
    How about a little more information. I have the Lee tumble-lube 9mm bullet. What charge 4756 do you use, what size, and what hardness bullet? I spent some time trying different charges, up to 6.0gr, but no luck. Best accuracy was with heat treated, unsized boolits (approx Bhn 22-23 and 0.358"). Not good enough, though.

Boolit Grand Master
    From the same source as Harry O--Ken Waters--I derived the info on 32-20 WCF revolver loads, and my experience mirrors Harry's completely. It is a little hard to find locally, so I only use it for the 32-20 revo chow. My last purchase of the stuff (6 months ago) was in a round can of the new IMR/SR (Hodgdon) type, containing 1 pound.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    SR 4756 is a GREAT powder. I started using it when it sold for $1.75 a 1/2 lb. can. I've used a couple of 16# kegs. The newer data has been lawyer proofed (reduced) from the older data. I've loaded thousands of .357 loads with the RCBS 38-150- KT and 9.0 grains. It is a very versatile powder, relatively clean burning, predictable with small increases working up loads, and works very well in a variety of applications including cast in rifles. It is my go-to powder for heavy field loads in the 12 gauge with 1 1/4 oz. of shot and heavier shot loads. It works well in the 38,357,9mm,40,10mm,44, and 45 (both). It HAS gotten up there in price with the rest of the IMR lineup however. My favorite 12 ga. load will knock birds sideways at 55 yards and modified choke. I LOVE the smell of both fresh and burned 4756. It gives top velocities and patterns, and has been a favorite of shotgunners for decades. Yeah, I like it and no, I'm not a factory rep. CB.
    If you want your children to follow in your footsteps, be careful where you walk.
    Beware the man that only owns one gun; he probably knows how to use it.
    Some things never change; others change more slowly.

Sr4756

I use it in large rifles and all my heavy HOT loads in 12 Gauge.
    SR4756 in a Blue Magic or AA with 5 shot is a long range Bird load....
    TxGunfighter

Quote Originally Posted by singleshotbuff View Post
    What's it good for??

I picked up a mostly full can of IMR SR 4756 today at the gunshow ($5). I understand it to be a handgun/shotgun powder?? Is this correct??

Does it have any application for reduced loads in rifle cartridges?

Burning rate neighborhood??

Thanks for input.

SSB

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    4756 has the burn speed of Herco, and is therefore a single base version of Herco for all pistol cases. 4756 burns better at lower pressures than Herco from experience, and that is why I would choose it over Herco. Yes, 4756 comes in half pound cans. ... felix
    Great info Felix,thanks
    Appalachian American Clinging to my bible,my guns and my H&G moulds

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast