Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 223 Ruger American Compact.

I asked my LGS proprietor for ideas for a rifle for my eldest daughter (10) for smaller game and he suggested .223 Compact by Ruger. I have a slight bias against Ruger on the basis that in the past their barrels have been sub par. Reports now appear much better. Much as I would prefer a Savage for the wee girl weight and fit will be the major factors.

How do you compare the Ruger Compact and Savage Axis?
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    My .223 compact picks up the last round in the magazine just fine with both supplied ........ but there are a bunch of them here that are not ....... and going back to Ruger.

I like mine so much that if it did that, I'd overlook that flaw ..... but that's me.

A lot of the other buyers were not so amuzed.

My point is that before I bought one in another nation, I'd insist the store prove that the particular rifle did pick it up ......... I can't imagine what a return would involve?

I really like Savage's and Steven's and do builds on them, but I don't get that warm about the Axis ........ again ..... I suppose it's more personal ......... I have gotten used to the former and the Axis is just enough different ........ but a lot of folks DO like the Axis ........

I will note this .......... If you want a truly compact ........ it's pretty hard to best the Compact for the money.

About it's only rival in that size for me is my CZ 527 American.

I drag the Ruger around the ranch to save my CZ which I really cherrish!

Three 44s

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Leaving the mag loaded for a week or two fixed the problem for me. A tip from some hero on this
    forum.
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 02-24-2015 at 07:43 PM.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Buddy
    Y'all are killing me. I didn't even know these .223 Compacts existed two days ago, but now...

They are such a neat little package and the same length as a lever rifle with a 20" barrel.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

I'd forgotten about this thread.
    The 223 Worked out so well I bought another compact in 308Win.
    I was cashed up a year or two ago and bought a VX6 1-6X24 and was going to fit it to my 7600Remington, but changed my mind.
    It will go on the RAC 308.
    Lockdown and the associated BS has closed our range down and things are just starting to loosen up, so it will be in action soon hopefully.
    Outwardly, it is identical to the 223.

Boolit Master
    Hey,

I still have my RAC in 223 but have not added to that herd. No flies on the Ruger Americans of any stripe however. Two winters ago we had a blizzard (unusual for my area in Central WA) and the coyotes were feasting on our baby newborn calves. I started packin’ that .223 RAC and I managed to take out eight of them from the back of the hay wagon in seven days.

One shot was from 305 yds. That coyote was walking down a well worn cow trail in deep snow. Just his back showing, he stopped for a moment to look back (flip me off). Mr. Bill Ruger allowed him to bleed out for at least the next 150 yds of trail. We never found that coyote and I hate cripples but I assure you all, that coyote was walking dead because I have never seen so much red on so much white back ground.

I think the bullet likely went through some fresh snow and then struck the coyote so it was already opening when it hit him, hence it was like an IED going off inside it.

If I had ranged the coyote I would likely not tried that shot what with such a small amount of the coyote being revealed as we are talking 4” of its back showing above the trail edges.

I am disappointed that Ruger seems to have dropped making the Compact in .223. I do not understand that.

The length of pull in .223 matters little with a low recoil round like that. I have always wondered how it would be in more robust cartridges?

I ended up with a good friend’s work rifle. He was a predator hunter for a local Tribe and the gun is a CZ 527 American in .204 but they forced his retirement! It fits in around here with my .233 of the same stripe that I bought right after my friend bought this .204.

I have a lot of really accurate rifles with really good loads but this particular CZ in 204 puts all my other rifles to SHAME, seriously! Even including my 6mm BR!

The previous owner had it doing one hole with the factory Hornady 32 gr V Max but no handloads could approach it. I found the same condition but I resolved to fix that!

Out came the USP bore paste, and down went the handload group size!

Factory and handloads are lasers and one holers alike. She is a sub 2 tenths gun all around now! There is one big problem: If I brag on that rifle and then miss a shot, well you can see how that turns out!

Being a nice wood stocked rifle however that 204 is not my everyday drag around ranch rifle .... the Ruger American Compact in .223 still reigns in that department! They are short enough to get out of a truck quietly and beyond light for toting!

Best regards

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 05-31-2020 at 04:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Those 204s are an amazing bit of kit.
    I have managed to resist the temptation so far.

Boolit Master
    Well, I passed them over because I am leery about new cartridges failing to catch on and having to scrounge for brass so when I bought my CZ I played safe and went 223.

That was in 2005

I later built a Savage bolt gun into a 204, first as a varmint weight (heavy for a truck gun) and then switched to a sporter barrel and was hooked!

Now this CZ in 204 came into the picture and it beats the whole pack (my Savage is a 3 tenths gun, the CZ a sub 2 tenths one) so its a real sweets pie!

Three44s

My friend and his wife own a very big farm and grazing property (ranch I suppose) and are keen shooters. They are busy running the place during the day, so mostly spotlight pests such as rabbits, hares, foxes and goats of a night from their 4wd. Because of the fact that most of the paddocks are at least 500 yards across they have always used 22/250s and go through a new barrel nost years.
    He saw the 204s when they came out and bought one out of curiosity. His wife took it off him after using it and now they use the 204s for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    Those 204s are an amazing bit of kit.
    I have managed to resist the temptation so far.
    Me too. But I'm getting weak.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Right after I finished my first 204 build on a Savage short action I had a coyote run out of the bushes. It ran up a draw out of sight but on a hunch, I set up for a shot. Sure enough it had to have just one more look back and it circled back on the hillside nearest to me and was peeking at me from behind a rock ledge. I had the head, neck and the front edge it’s shoulder for a target.

Oh, and 275 yds ......

.................and it was broadside except for its head being twisted towards me .... lol!

I was propped up in the front door jam of a Chevy Suburban.

At the shot I saw the result before I momentarily lost the scope picture.

There was a large rock on the opposite side of the coyote.

I struck it in the neck, the V-max did not even exit, the coyote was thrown against the boulder and rolled over it. The image of the bottom of its feet following it over the top and rolling to the ground landing on its back was the image I saw as the scope picture began drifting off my target and it replays in my head every time I handle a 204.

The Ruger Compact was made in .204 for a time if I remember, I tried to get one for my father but was unsuccessful. He might of ended up with my .223 instead .... ha ha! I would expect the MV to be a little less with that shorter barrel but as fast a cartridge as it is and having the rifle more regularly along with you creates a great advantage.

Best regards

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 05-31-2020 at 10:16 AM.

Boolit Man
    i love to carry my Compact in .308...

if you like muzzleblast u will like shooting yours too.

Boolit Master
    A local shop had two in 22-250 a few years ago and I pondered bringing one home but I figured it would be noisy and less efficient.

Three44s

Compact Loudenboomer!

Boolit Master
    LOL!

Three44s

I had a Ruger Compact .243 and while loud, it was a perfect quick handling truck gun. A Commanche talked me out of it with folding money, so I hemmed and hawed- then "bobbed" my Tikka T3 22-250 to 19"- thinking I'd regret it. Nope! While loud, it is still lazer accurate and to regain any lost velocity- that's what 40 grain V- Maxes are for! One deer and several pigs and various vermin later- I love my little snubby.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Im keeping my eyes peeled for a 700 adl .204 such as Academy used to sell. In a few years, God willing, I want to start prairie doggin' again and I think that .204 will excel at it!

Boolit Master
    I know a fellow who retired at a fairly young age and really went deep into shooting etc.

He was into .20 caliber before it was “cool” and was making his own slugs, went into moly coating and some bench rest but mainly shooting squirrels and PD’s.

He tried the .204 after it came out as well.

When it was all said and done he returned to his own wildcat he designed: His creation was a hybrid between a .20/.221 and a .20/.223.

He wanted more poop than the Fireball gave him but less heat than a .223 case did so he had his very own reamer made. The .204 came out right after I saw him but his Son in Law told me that he tried the cartridge and sold that rifle because it was a “bit much”.

Now I do not get my .204’s that hot but I do my load development and then hunt coyotes with it, I do not do PD’s as I do not have any and really do not take time to kill my “gray diggers” with it so the round count is pretty low.

So I guess it all comes down to how much ammo you would go through in a days time. I suppose that a less fast rifle could do the trick for closer PD’s and then use a .204 for the longer bombs until the wind comes up then switch to something less wind prone.

That truck gun concept is right in my wheel house. My RAC is inexpensive enough I do not have to worry about minor scratches and portable enough so as to not be a pain to drag around with me between truck, tractor or self-propelled hay baler! Having a detachable magazine means that going out on a public road does not necessarily turn me into a criminal!

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 03-20-2021 at 02:14 AM.

Dead set handy little truck rifle. I like the fact that mine fits in the lock up drawers at the back of my 30 year Nissan Patrol 4WD Wagon. The RACs and my lever rifles and my 22LR BRNO Model2 are the only ones that do that.

Coming from Australiam it took me awhile to figure out what PDs were. I also ride motorcycles, BMWs in the main and PDs are copies of the BMW Paris Dakkar Offroad desert racing motorcycles (of which I have one). HaHa.

Boolit Master
    You raise a good point! In some circles that could raise some real eye brows or in others, embolden some one who is a nut job, witness our news lately.

The correct grammar .... prairie dogs!

For the life of me, I do not understand why Ruger dropped making the RAC in .223 and .204! They are so handy to have around when needed and economical to buy.

Best regards

Three44s

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast