Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 223 Ruger American Compact.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I am happy with the rifle as it is a sweet little outfit and the Leupold VX3 2.5-8 scope matches it perfectly, just the magazine issues and even if it never feeds the last round I will just call it a four shot rifle and leave it at that. Nowwwwwwww,if I could just glue / braze a snap cap with a ramp filed into the rear of it so that the bolt rides over it, I would be good to go. Just a silly thought.

One of the guys on another thread mentioned that he left the mag charged to put tension on the lips for a few weeks which solved the problems for him. I have moved the mag tomy ammo cupboard with a round half out of the mag which seems to place the most pressure on the lips and see how this goes.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Well, I loaded the mag, with the top round sticking out to put pressure on the forward mag lips and dumped it in the ammo drawer after posting my last message on the 7th and pulled it out this morning (the 13th). Went to the range and between range officer duties, looking after noob shooters and doing paperwork for the pistol club,I ended up shooting nine mags of five rounds without a hiccup The groups are improving dramatically as well.

Target grid squares are 1"

The first pic is how I stored the mag;

I am 66, have a heart condition and suffer shortness of breath and have a pretty basic benchrest set up, so the groups are ok, but obviously with a steadier hand would be way better.

Ammo used was 223 Federal Vital Shok Premium. This is a special load for Australia, using the classic 52Gn Speer HP.

Bench rest group;

another Bench Rest group;

A group shot sitting with my elbows on the bench, no benchrest;

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    That should pop a few critter's eyes out!

It surely will. I am so pleased that it has started pulling it's weight. I think we will have lots of early morning and evening walks together.

Went to the range today as well, fired five magazines full, not one hiccup. Obviously the mag lips being too tight at the front is the issue. The groups were nothing to write home about as it was miserable cold and gusting badly, but a bad day at the range is way better than a good day anywhere else.

FFOD: good to hear that this gun is working out for you. I am pretty fond of the current crop of "Generic Guns." They are very utilitarian and virtually impervious to the elements, and at the prices they are getting they are affordable by just about anyone.

This opens up shooting to many more people who couldn't afford to buy anything that was worth shooting before.

I personally am of a mind that if a gun will do 1" then it is good to go for anything I will do with it. I will even accept 2" in some cases, and with my Red Dot Sights on several guns that I deem to be 300 yard guns, if a gun will shoot 3" it will still accomplish it's intended usage.

With that gun shooting 1" this early in it's life, I don't think there is a rabbit anywhere in OZ that is safe!

Shoot 'em all,,,, I heard there are plenty more where they came from.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

You are right there WRB. It is ready to go afield. My friend who owns a horse stud, which is not really operating at the moment, more retirement home for him and his wife and a few horses adjisted out. Buys some scrawny sheep and cattle in spring to keep the grass and fire hazard down in summer, but enjoys the native wildlife and has lots of beautiful native birds. His wife rang this morning and said they have a fox problem and there is plenty of evidence of coloured feathers from killed native birds. So the Compact's first job will be to take Brer Fox out. I will would normally use a whistle and lure him in,but they are breeding at the moment and probably won't answer it,so it will sneak and stalk time. I'm looking forward to it.

Speaking of economy rifles, I popped into the gun shop today to check out the Steyr rifles that are on special for $1100 and the shop owner bought out my new 17WSM B Mag Savage. They had sent the first one back because it couldn't get better than 3" groups and the importer replaced it with a new one. So now that I have the Ruger American Compact sorted, I now have another project.

You do keep busy.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Pity I can't sell guns as efficiently as I can buy them

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    Pity I can't sell guns as efficiently as I can buy them
    Seems to be my problem as well. Fortunately, I have an understanding wife.

I recently got a Mossberg MVP predator, but it has gotten sidetracked for various reasons. Truthfully, I don't shoot much with jacketed anymore, but the concept of the rifle intrigued me. Hopefully, it'll be a good shooter. My 30 year old plain jane Savage 110 in .223 will rip single hole groups with nearly anything I handload for it, but it is pretty big and heavy and has the old, slower twist. Kansas recently changed the law to allow .22 centerfires on deer, so the MVP may find it's way to that end eventually.

Those Ruger Americans are selling lot hotcakes in the US. I'm kind of a blued steel and walnut guy myself, but a good rough duty rifle certainly has its appeal.

My wife is on a needs to know basis, she doesn't need to know! haha! Nowwwwwwwwwwww, if this clever Aussie crowd would make these for Ruger Americans! http://www.lumleyarms.com/#!rem-700/c1m9p

Hit the range for a short shoot this afternoon, first group, best group, running out of day, the next groups were fired on a warmish barrel and opened up a tad, but still good. This group is 3/4" with Federal Vital Shok factory ammo. If doesn't get much better than this!

Boolit Master
    I made two mistakes and repeated the first lately.

1) I handled a Ruger compact in a local shop

2) I read this thread .........

I'll see if will power overcomes the lure of the Ruger compact .....

I have two choices at hand .......... a .223 and the .22-250 ...... they are $369 w/o sales tax locally.

I am reluctant to buy the .22-250 with such a short barrel ......... I have plenty of .223 fire sticks already ......... I have plenty of brass for either but a mountain of .223 .........

Decisions ......... but there is still time to back away ........... we'll see!

Best regards

Three 44s

Good luck with that! haha!

Boolit Master
    The Ruger compact in .223 won out and one followed me home last evening!

Sweet little gun and got to put it on paper with some 55 gr. Rem. factory FMJ's.

Handloads and 55gr. Hornady SX's next!

However, I am not afraid that my wife will not like the gun ......... I am afraid she'll take it away and CLAIM IT!

I'll have to go back and get another one?

Best regards

Three 44s

The gun shop guys and the sales rep said kost of the compacts were being bought by or for women. I'm a bit of a giant, but the little rifles press my buttons.

Boolit Master

Very good groups from a lightweight rifle. Don't put down your shooting ability, as I believe you are getting excellent results from this rifle, probably the maximum the rifle will do!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master

FFOD,

I have the Ruger American Standard barrel in 223 and it shoots SMK 69's pushed by Varget like a laser.

I had the same mag issue at first, but haven't had a hiccup since.

Great shooting rifle at any price. Even better at $319.

Fire away.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Thanks Hickok. Glad your rifle worked out 7.62. I fancy one in 7/08 or 308.

Boolit Master
    Got my RAC in .223 on paper for groups this AM.

Running a J-word, the Hornady 55 gr. SX the very first group went 3 shots @ .475" (with a 4x Weaver scope)

These are not the first rounds out of this rifle by me but they are the first handloads.

The powder (you might want to sit down on this) was Reloder 11 ..... yes, eleven.

It's an obsolete number that a friend acquired from a deceased friend's estate. I have shot some extraordinary groups with it out of my sporter .204 Ruger in a Savage short action so I thought ...... what the heck this powder needs to be turned into smoke while it can still turn heads!

I shot two more groups and the wind came up ...... I seem to be able to generate wind by merely bringing a fire stick and a target out into daylight these days!! The groups opened up a little ....... I think the worst was .745" and then it was time to get back into the house and clean up for T-day feasting!

I have the next group's loads loaded ....... we will see!

Best regards and good shooting!

Three 44s

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast