MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: So another question with a surely obvious awnser

So another question with a surely obvious awnser

I've been making up some 223 loads to test out tomorrow and I can't seem to get my bullet seating right I can get it close and tweak it to perfection but if I get it just right and one stroke the next one I'll loose .003-.006 each time wth am I doin wrong? And no I haven't trimmed any cases other then a debur and chamfer. all brass well under stretch limits.
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

How are you measuring the cartridge? Are you using cast bullets?

Yes on the case no on the cast 70gr Speer spritzer sp
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorS View Post
    Yes on the case no on the cast 70gr Speer spritzer sp
    What do you mean by, "Yes on the case?" You aren't measuring the lead portion of the SP are you? These get dinged and have different lengths. You need a fixture that will allow you to obtain consistent readings using the ogive.

Hmm I noticed the lead was gooberd on a few of them and wrote that off on it
    Using Tapatalk

I'll try some fmj in a couple days see if it's more consistant
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

If you load 10 cases, the last is .03 to .06 shorter than the first and this is progressive? First one at 2.250 and last at 2.220? Or do they all vary from say 2.244 to 2.256 in over all length?

If they vary +/- I wouldn't worry about that as it is just the variance of the nose and is to be expected. Assuming you are measuring with calipers and not with a cartridge measurement tool. With that tool I bet you will see almost no variance.

If the rounds are getting progressively shorter, my only guess is some buildup in the seating stem. I could see that more with cast than with the Speer. I would want to make 20 rounds on the long side and see if it stabilizes and then run them in again to the desired length.

BTW, Crimp or no crimp?
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    Sir Winston Churchill

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
    Herbert Agar

434-1

Banned
    So another question with a surely obvious answer

I'll try to answer your question but don't call me Shirley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A5t5_O8hdA

Boolit Master
    Check out Sinclair International..lots of tools for the precision handloader. What you need is their stainless bullet ogive comparator. used with std. caliper, it contacts bullet on ogive for consistant measurements..tool is hex. in shape..so you get 6 different calibers in one.

My measures are before the crimp I'll tweak it til I have my 2.260 then the next round will be 2.264-2.255 OAL
    Using Tapatalk

And I'll mess with it til I get the 3td one right then the 4th will be out of whack
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by .22-10-45 View Post
    Check out Sinclair International..lots of tools for the precision handloader. What you need is their stainless bullet ogive comparator. used with std. caliper, it contacts bullet on ogive for consistant measurements..tool is hex. in shape..so you get 6 different calibers in one.
    Worth every penny. Only way to truly stay 10/1000's off the rifling when working on Max length loads. And no matter the bullet profile the length will be the same so you only have to worry about them fitting the magazine.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy

The Sinclair or RCBS Precision Micrometer are a good investment one day. You'll see what you loaded will be consistent. These tools will also allow you to check the size of a fired and sized case so you know how much you are working the brass.

As far as tomorrow, if what you have loaded already fits in the magazine, they will be just fine. MAYBE the nose damage will affect your groups but really, not enough to worry about.
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    Sir Winston Churchill

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
    Herbert Agar

434-1

Love Life
    Get a comparator body and some inserts next time you load up your cart at your favorite online shooting stuff supplier.

Boolit Master

You'll chase measurements all evening if you measure to the tip of the bullet. You can improvise a comparator by drilling a hole smaller than the diameter of the bullet in a large hex nut. It has to be round (good American or European bit) and square (drill press) to be useful. If you have a digital caliper you can zero and just measure variation which will likely be lees than you thought once you start measuring from a consistent spot on the bullets.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Man
    Grab a handful of bullets and measure them base to tip.
    I think you'll find your 0.003"-0.006" difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    You'll chase measurements all evening if you measure to the tip of the bullet. You can improvise a comparator by drilling a hole smaller than the diameter of the bullet in a large hex nut. It has to be round (good American or European bit) and square (drill press) to be useful. If you have a digital caliper you can zero and just measure variation which will likely be lees than you thought once you start measuring from a consistent spot on the bullets.

David
    Good advice, or just take the seating plug out of another die.
    So long as it's resting on the ogive, not the tip, you'll get consistent measurements.

Or, don't worry about the 0.003"

Roger that I know it seems like splitting hairs but consistency is the basis of 1 hole groups lol. I'm a lil confined on bullet length with the 223, I've only got ARs for it. The rifle I'm working with now is my long range prarrie dog gun she's pretty tack ish but I think I can get the groups better with some hand done ammo. I'll get the bits out and see what I can build for a measuring stick!
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

I thought Speer's 70 grainers were designed for deer? Are the PDs THAT well fed or is that all the budget allows? Just surprised if not a 69gr match bullet, why not something lighter with a plastic tip?

Sir Winston Churchill

Herbert Agar

434-1

Just what I snagged when I got to the reloading shop but yeah they've been somewhat uninhibited until I got this AR done there thinning as I get time
    Using Tapatalk