Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: AA2230 for cast?

Boolit Master

AA2230 for cast?

Anyone have experience using 2230 or Data 2200 for reduced loads in 7,63x54r?

All I have at present for this rifle is the Lyman 314299 so that's what I'll be shooting for now. I'm using 5744 for match loads but I'd like to go to a ball powder for plinkin' and all-around fun type shooting, for ease of metering.

I have lots of 2230 and 2200 leftover from my varminting days, as well as unique, red and blue dots, AA3100, 8700, H414 and WMR on hand also.

Comments/suggestions appreciated--is 2230 position sensitive?

I have no experience with the 7.63x54R but, I did burn up a few 8 LB jugs of surplus AA2230 in my 308 Win. I used the 314299 (AC COWW+ 2%SN) and 29.0gr surplus AA2230 for about 1800 ft/sec. It shot better and cleaner with a 1/2gr tuft of dacron.

Boolit Grand Master

AA2230 will work well with the Dacron filler as mentioned under that heavy 314299 with 29 - 30 gr in the 7.62x39. My experience with DATA 2200, as also mentioned, shows it doesn't ignite and burn efficiently at lower psi's. It may or may work. If you've lots of DATA 2200 then it might be worth a try?

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

As stated above. 2230 may or may not work well at lower load densities without Dacron. Its a favorite of mine in the 30-30 with the 165 Ranch Dog and the 35 Whelen with 275 gr boolits both without Dacron but at more than reduced pressure loadings.

Boolit Master
    I wrote the aforementioned HANDLOADER article ( don't remember when, but it's been a few years). I did a good bit of experimenting with 2230 and cast bullets in a number of cartridges over several years. 2230 proved to be quite satisfactory and usually provided good accuracy with little workup. While I'm not familiar with the 7.63 cartridge mentioned at the start of this thread, if the case capacity is roughly similar to those cartridges mentioned in the old article, 2230 should work well.

One word of caution: In later years, I experienced an isolated hangfire with 2230 in a .30-40 Krag rifle. My old notes don't indicate which rifle and I've had at least a half-dozen chambered for the Krag cartridge. However, the load was 29 grains and a SAECO #301 gas-checked bullet, around 190 grains or so. Never experienced this before and I used a bunch of 2230 (maybe from several different lots) before that happened. Whether the problem was a too-light load, faulty primer (CCI 200), mechanical, or something else, I don't know. However, as with other powders, there has to be a low-end charge threshold. Perhaps others have experience in this area with 2230. I don't use fillers in any cartridge nor do I centure those who do. Rather, I will attempt to find a more suitable powder.

Someone mentioned 2230 for the 7.62x39. I did some extensive work with this powder using cast and jacketed bullets. Great powder for this cartridge, regardless of bullet composition. I wrote up the results of my cast bullet work in an old HANDLOADER published in the mid-'90s. I tried bullets ranging from 160 grains to over 200 in a Ruger bolt-action.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the replies; the 7.62x54r is close to the 30-40 in case capacity.

I'm just looking for a ball or other easily-metered powder for plinkin' loads. I shot a 00 buckshot pellet sized .314 over 5 grains of red dot which worked OK--maybe I'll stick with that load until I can get another, lighter mold for my 309 and 311 bores (a carbine and an M39 Finn).