Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swedish Chef signing in..

Boolit Buddy

My grandmother made Fattigmann - the cookbooks from the Norwegian ladies of the church in Northern Minnesota all have that recipe. There's so many Christmas cookies I loved and can't recall the names of - I guess I need to start going thru the recipes one at a time and see what they turn out to be. I do remember the ebelskivers, swedish pancakes (a crepe with a different name?) and the rosettes were awesome. I never did fall in love with the lefse, but Grandma's fish cakes were heavenly.
    Last edited by gkainz; 07-01-2014 at 05:35 PM.

I see.. Fattigmann is the norwegian name.. thats why I never heard it before.
    No matter what the name.. theyre good!

Boolit Buddy

Welcome!

I grew up with a Swedish mother and a German Father. Goose for Christmas and Turkey for Thanksgiving.

My Grandad, a first generation immigrant from Ulm, Germany, made a wonderful Sausage with beef and Pork (using a pigs head I think), and enough garlic so you could smell it a block away. If you might have a recipe for that and Swedish sausage it would tickle me. I can get a passable Swedish sausage from a place in Nebraska, but the German sausage has eluded for many years. Looking forward to your recipes.

BTW, do you still have to shoot a running target in order to get your hunting license for Moose?

Shooter: That sausage your granddad made was probably some german one? Sweden has a lousy tradition on sausages.. here traditional sausages where made of lowquality meat, bonescrape, fat and ****... Germans have a more quality approach to sausages.. and theres uncountable variations!
    Swedish sausages are often very finecourse and bland, often with fillouts as potatoes, pearl barley and such.. lots of fat and no spices except for salt and pepper.. Most german sausages are more meaty and spicy, either on garlic, paprika or herbes.

Yes we do.. To pass the hunters exam for big game, you have to qualify on runnig target. And then you´re good.. no required yearly test.
    But as we often hunt in parties on leased land, or as paying guests on some larger landowner land or forrest/timber company land, the hunt leader can and often do, require you to show a recent proof of qualification. The huntleader is the guy whos responsible of rules, safety and such during the hunts. So to save his bacon, somewhat, if things go sour he can require a level of marksmanship of participants.
    So the weeks ahead of the season the ranges are crowded with old grumpy guys that tries to qualify! And that time is the only time they been at the range since last yr!

I practice regular both on the running moose, and pig range. Especially the pig is good practice, since on driven hunts or when hunting with dogs the only shot you get, is lightning fast ones.. much faster than on the average moose..

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by shooter2 View Post
    Welcome!

I grew up with a Swedish mother and a German Father. Goose for Christmas and Turkey for Thanksgiving.

My Grandad, a first generation immigrant from Ulm, Germany, made a wonderful Sausage with beef and Pork (using a pigs head I think), and enough garlic so you could smell it a block away. If you might have a recipe for that and Swedish sausage it would tickle me. I can get a passable Swedish sausage from a place in Nebraska, but the German sausage has eluded for many years. Looking forward to your recipes.

BTW, do you still have to shoot a running target in order to get your hunting license for Moose?
    Here is the grand-daddy of sausage recipes: http://lpoli.50webs.com/AlphabeticalList.htm#COOKED

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12