Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: anyone tried PRVI PARTIZAN brass?

Boolit Master
    I think Privi brass is kinda a **** shoot. First batch I used for 303 brit had head separation issues after the first reload of MILD loads. Out of 200 rounds of brass only 34 survived past the second reload. The second batch, which was ALL range scrap brass a buddy picked up, was 212 rounds. So far 206 have gone beyond the second reload. So it's kind of a toss up to me. With their 30-30 brass I haven't seen any issues yet, but I am only on the second reload on it. I still prefer my R-P brass for my 30-30.

my 2 cents!

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Mine showed up in much better shape than R-P brass. I have had some tight primer pockets which were no fun. I will prime on the press from now on. Good price for brass - stock up while they are still trying to get market share.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

I have their Hornet brass and i love it. It's much stronger than anything made by Winchester or Remington

Boolit Buddy
    It is the only brass I can find for my Mosin's, I load gallery loads neck sizing only, and have shot the same brass over 20 times. So far so good -it seems to be on par with anything else.
    AR15 goes bang, AK47 goes bang, Mosin goes boom...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lylejb View Post
    Sounds mostly good.

As far as reforming 270 brass, I know I could, but would like to have correct headstamps.

I also would like new brass. I recently picked up some used brass, I thought it was polished range brass. It wasn't. It shined like the sun. 5 case neck splits in the first BOX! Yes that 5 out of 20 split. The second box had a case web split that sent gas back thru the action. This was Remington brass. I'm done with that.

I have mostly used Remington brass in the past, mostly once fired range brass and never had a problem. Till now.
    Remington brass has always been good for me except for some that had been polished with ammonia car polish stuff added to the compound. One thing is that Remington brass is alot heavier than Winchester brass and has less volume. So, if you are going up to Max in a load and you experience problems, this might be it. However, if you bought the brass used from an unknown source, it's really anyone's guess. I got a batch of .270 brass like this and then some 6mm Remington brass. Same deal, cleaned but with who knows what? Had a few separations. The ammonia effect is not immediate, it takes awhile but it eats away at the integrity of the brass and makes it separate very easily. Some of our more scientific folks are free to chime in with the details but have had this happen to me in the past with used brass bought off of Gunbroker or Gunsamerica. Didn't realize it until later.

Boolit Master
    I have used Privi brass in both .303Brit and 6.5x55 and it has been fine so far. I bought loaded ammo for both calibers and have loaded the .303 Brit once with full power jacketed ammo and at least two other times with light cast loads. It has worked fine in both of my Enfields. I have only loaded jacketed bullets in my CZ 550 Swede and so far i'm on my third firing with no problems.
    The only brass I have found to be difficult is the S&B. The primer pockets are a bit undersized and I worry every time I try and seat a primer.

I've had excellent experience with PPU brass in 30-30, 22 Hornet and .223.

I load 22 hornet to full power and have loaded some of the brass as much as 5 times with no cracks or bulges.

I like it that brass for the less common cartridges are offered by PRVI. I recently needed Hun brass and PRVI was the only source that was in stock.
    "Time wounds all heels." Well, maybe not, but it helps me to think so rather than responding to bad actors.

Boolit Master

I have only used it in 7.7 Japanese, but it is holding up fine. Zero complaints.

I have 22 hornet PRVI brass. Load it pretty hot and it has held up well for 5 or 6 loadings.

Boolit Grand Master

I haven't tried it but my shooting buddy bought the ammo for the brass. Turned out to be very good ammo for his rifles. Works good for reloading but he's having a hard time duplicating the performance of their loaded ammo.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

up here, some guys put PPU brass third in quality after Lapua and Norma
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    After reading this thread early this morning before Nanuk's post and knowing I was recently given 2 boxs of once fired 30/06 PRVI brass. I decided to try reforming some to 6mm Remington cases.

All I can say after forming 5 by one pass threw a 7mm mauser die with the neck stem removed, then trimming to approximate length with a tubing cutter before running threw a LEE 6mm rem sizer die is I gladly take and properly dispose of ant PPU brass you feel you need to get rid of. After the trips threw both dies I then out side neck turned the newly formed cases to a preset .272 outside diameter, trimmed them to 2.230 length and fire formed them with a favorite load of 16.5 gr of RE7 under a NOE 246-75 boolit sized .2455, seated after neck expanding with homemade M type insert in LEE die, simple lube. WOW length now .2.225, tiny group on 150 yrd plate. I have since shot them with 3 loading of 23 gr of my WC844 same boolit, Partial neck sized in open up old Herters neck die. Need to crony this load, 4" higher impact and nice group on same plate.

reformed cases are 7 gr lighter than my sons FC head stamped 6mm cases, I like them.

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

I just wished to say Thank You for the Good Feedback on PRVI PARTIZAN Brass. As I have been looking for awhile for 30-30 Winchester Brass and could not find any. I ran across some of the Prvi Partizan Brass at GRAF's and ordered a bag of 100 for a look see. And thus far it is still in the Bag but it is not all beat to heck like Remington or Winchester. Overall it looks better.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Jestergrin,

And thank you for your service in the army!
    NRA Life Member

U. S. Navy (Ret)

"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved"

Quote Originally Posted by 1874Sharps View Post
    Jestergrin,

And thank you for your service in the army!

I am sorry as I was never directly in the ARMY.

I think I understand where you might have got that from. ARMY Lodge 1105. That is a Masonic Lodge that is almost right on Fort Sam Houston's Post. I went through that lodge because my Grand Father went into that lodge and my Father along with other relatives of which most were ARMY. Long story lol.
    Last edited by JesterGrin_1; 09-17-2014 at 12:26 AM.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master

My father bought me a .25-'06 rifle about 1970, before Remington legitimated it. I made brass for it by simply running a .30-'06 case into a .25-'06 die, then trimming for length. For once fired brass, I annealed it first. If all else fails, try this.

Boolit Bub
    A buddy gave me a couple hundred once fired 7.62/.308 PVRI Partisan cases. I've reloaded these multiple times with both j-word and boolits out of my FAL and never had any splits, separations, or other issues...and the primer holes are still holding up. Much better than the LC surplus cases I was using...although, those were MG fired brass.

SAJTU

Boolit Bub
    I have used lots of it in both handgun and rifle sizes and it is good stuff.

It's all I buy. I haven't reloaded then enough to say how good it is but it's not bad. I did get one dud case. I should find it and post a photo. I keep it as a curiosity. The rim is not properly formed but it would work just fine.

Actually, I have bought R-P hornet cases because that's what they had but I found the capacity to be greater so I bought some more. Nearly half the new ones have too shallow primer pockets! But I digress. All reports I have read on PRVI Partisan brass is positive.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''