Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wife's first Pistol Advice

Boolit Master

Wife's first Pistol Advice

So my wife is actually wanting to get a pistol for herself. She has done some shooting with me and some friends and she knows what she doesn't want. After shooting a 1911, a Glock 30SF, Glock 19, LC9, LCP 380, and LCR, as well as my XD 40 she doesn't like a large frame gun, doesn't like 40SW, doesn't like the snubby 38, and doesn't like tiny 9mms. She was ok with the LCP and the Glock 19. Now, I'm not particularly a fan of the .380 cartridge for self defense. Not to get into a debate but I would feel better if she was carrying a 9mm minimum. In that respect, I kind of steered her toward compact 9mm pistols. She handled several at LGS including a Glock 19 which she had shot before. Being able to rack the slide was important as her hand strength was a factor. Many were pretty heavy on the recoil spring which made it tough for her. I know that lighter springs can be used but I don't want to have to worry about reliability, not saying that they aren't reliable but it would ease my mind knowing I didn't change anything that could cause a malfunction. So after handling several pistols, she really liked the Ruger SR9C. She particularly liked the extended grip on the larger capacity magazine because it helped her hold the gun more securely. This is not something that she would be carrying concealed often, if ever. It would likely accompany her in her vehicle and in the house when I am away. Another reason, in my mind anyway, not to get a subcompact. As well, I think she would be more comfortable and be able to shoot better and thus be more likely to practice more with a compact sized gun. Being a handloader and caster I can work up lighter practice loads that are comfortable to shoot so that recoil and blast aren't bothersome to her. What are your thoughts about her choice as well as my line of thinking, insights into this particular firearm, and whether I should load practice ammo light or the same as defensive rounds? Thanks, Pete

Boolit Master

A gun she likes and will practice with wins hands down over one she dislikes using.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Walther PK380.... My wife has one....loves it, is willing to shoot it, a lot...which to me is more important than anything else. Comfort trumps performance in my book when you're talking about a defense weapon. I think it's of critical importance that there be NO hesitation about pulling the trigger...over and over again, if necessary.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Let her get whatever she wants. If she wants a 380, let her get it. If you steer her to the 9mm, and she doesn't like shooting the 9mm, or just doesn't like her options in 9mm, and therefore stops carrying, you've lost out. Speaking from experience, whatever she wants, whatever color she wants, and whatever accessories she wants. It's got to be something she really loves, and really loves to shoot.

I won't push for any particular gun for her. There are lots of options available now, and can fit any personality out there. The first gun I bought for my wife was a purple SR-22. She loved it. I made the mistake of showing her how accurate it could be when she was having trouble staying on target. I really should have just told her that she was an amazing shot and made me feel very romantic <nudge, nudge, wink, wink>. And then she got ahold of my 1911... Not a good scenario. I still haven't found a replacement for that.

Bottom line is, if she's happy with it, she'll carry it and shoot it. And if she's happy, you're happy. At the early stages, don't worry about the ballistics and everything else. I would much rather see my wife carry a 22 rimfire than nothing at all. After she carries for a while and gets used to it, encourage her to step up to something more. But let her decide. Talk about her decision, encourage her, and let her be the decider. If she can carry it all day, and she enjoys shooting it, you've got the right one.

Boolit Master
    Larger autos tend to lighter recoil springs so are easier to rack as well as being easier and more comfortable to shoot.

I agree with the others that she should pick. For me how it feels in her hand should have very high priority. I would go 9 Luger in whatever you pick.

Maybe she could handle a Kahr K or T9? The Kahr K9 feels much better than the Kahr polymer guns, is a bit smaller than a Glock 19, but heavier and has been reliable for me. The T9 is a slightly larger version of the same. It has a DAO trigger and no safety. Ergonomic and simple. Takes single stack mags which is part of the reason why they feel so good in the hand.

The S&W M&P line of polymer autos feel good in my hand too. They are double stack, except for the Shield, but in 9 and .40 are well contoured in the grip and small enough to probably be acceptable to her. This is from a guy with fairly small hands.
    Rule 303

I like the other replys would let her pick no matter what caliber it is. I had a hangup with 380 also till a buddie of mine asked me if I would want to be shot with a 380. Never gave it much thought untill he asked me that. I was always hung up on the ballistics part of it. I dont even want to be shot with a 22. Al
    NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Let my wife pick out her first handgun, a S&W 642 snubby with some custom 'action' work. Then she took my S&W 9mm Shield. Then one day at the range, a fellow shooter offered her the chance to shoot his fathers 1911 from the army. And that was it, 1911 45's are her pistol of choice, her favorite being the Kimber Super Carry Pro. I have to admit that the Kimber Super Carry Pro is the best shooting 1911 I have ever tried.
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Boolit Master

Nothing wrong with an SR9c if that's what she likes. The best advice I can give is to let her pick the gun, then pay for some good training for her. In other words, somebody other than you.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a typical woman alright.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the advice guys. She was ok with the 9mm in a larger gun just didn't like the lc9. I think the sr9 will be a good fit. She likes the feel and can operate it easily. Gonna have to lok for a good deal on one

When I'm looking for a new gun, I watch slickguns.com and watch for it to go on sale. See that they have the Ruger SR9 Compact on sale for $369.99

Boolit Master
    I would suggest you put a S&W Shield 9mm in her hand and see how she likes it. Larger than an LCP but not as big and heavy as an SR9C.

Whatever she likes and will shoot / whatever is fun for her to shoot. For my wife the key was finding something fun to shoot and after she found that she'll shoot just about anything now. For her what broke the ice was a 2.5" Casull that I had made a bunch of plinker loads for. She stole all my plinker loads after she found out how fun they were to shoot and now she'll shoot anything I hand her. She has an XD-40 sub compact for her carry gun.
    Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
    For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
    This above all: to thine ownself be true

In Remembrance

My wife loves her S&W M&P Shield. She had problems operating the slide on others she tried. her's is 9mm and she shoots it very well.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bohica793 View Post
    I would suggest you put a S&W Shield 9mm in her hand and see how she likes it. Larger than an LCP but not as big and heavy as an SR9C.
    She handled one but had trouble racking the slide

Lots of women have trouble racking the slide on semi autos, until I show them how to do it properly. If you haven't found this site yet, let your wife have a look around, and this link shows a method to rack the slide that 98% of women can do.
    Good luck.
    http://www.corneredcat.com/article/r...ack-the-slide/

Quote Originally Posted by wrench View Post
    Lots of women have trouble racking the slide on semi autos, until I show them how to do it properly. If you haven't found this site yet, let your wife have a look around, and this link shows a method to rack the slide that 98% of women can do.
    Good luck.
    http://www.corneredcat.com/article/r...ack-the-slide/
    Excellent, thanks for sharing !

Boolit Master
    Has she looked at the CZ 75?

I have found those to be a real eye opener as to handling and comfortable grip area.

Boolit Master
    My 5' tall girlfriend got a Ruger LC9. Now she is a real good shot, however, she can't hit the broad side of a barn with this thing. The long and hard double action trigger pull just make it only good for a rock.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Master

No CZ75s at LGS.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast