Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

View Poll Results: BCG shared between uppers?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Separate BCG for each upper

31 45.59%
  • One BCG shared between multiple uppers

10 14.71%
  • Don't share -- one upper and BCG for each lower

27 39.71%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AR multiple uppers

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Interesting it appears that as of 2011 the ATFE has changed it's stance from what it once was. That's what I get for just posting a link I had book marked without re-reading it. My apologies.
    They changes the rules after the U.S. Vs. Thompson/Center arms ruling that came out of the Supreme Court. As long as you first have a pistol, and during the transition back and forth you do not construct a SBR you are OK.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    They changes the rules after the U.S. Vs. Thompson/Center arms ruling that came out of the Supreme Court. As long as you first have a pistol, and during the transition back and forth you do not construct a SBR you are OK.
    My first AR pistol was actually longer than when I converted it to a rifle, even though they both had the same length barrel. That was due to using an A2 buffer on the pistol vs a collapsing stock on the rifle. Really stupid (unconstitutional) rules.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    My first AR pistol was actually longer than when I converted it to a rifle, even though they both had the same length barrel. That was due to using an A2 buffer on the pistol vs a collapsing stock on the rifle. Really stupid (unconstitutional) rules.
    I think the NFA is unconstitutional as well, and because of that I encourage everyone to express their right to own and use a slide fire stock, or a sig brace (or both) as a slap in the face to the NFA. The more products we have like this in the hands of citizens the more the NFA becomes a joke that will be seen as such. The slide fire stock on a rifle with a bipod becomes very effective if used in the prone position pushed on the back, top portion of the upper receiver, and once you use a sig brace on a pistol you will wonder why you even need to do an SBR.

Xacex what you mentioned about the NFA is the reason why I plan to get a sig brace and build a pistol in the future even though I think it is fugly and overpriced. I feel the same way about the NFA. The history of how the SBR and SBS regs came about is rather interesting and says alot about the fudds in government.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Xacex what you mentioned about the NFA is the reason why I plan to get a sig brace and build a pistol in the future even though I think it is fugly and overpriced. I feel the same way about the NFA. The history of how the SBR and SBS regs came about is rather interesting and says alot about the fudds in government.
    They were on sale at Rockwellarms.com over the weekend. With a coupon code they were under 100$ shipped. Palmetto has a good price on them as well. 109$ is not bad.http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...sb-ar-blk.html Don't pay the 150$ + vendors want. You can pick them up for under 110$ if you look around. Ebay is a good source believe it or not. Picked one up from there for 109$ shipped. The look will grow on you once you try it.

I see SIG is running a promotion on the braces now for $125 free shipping and a free rifle bag. I would buy one but I just ordered a complete upper and a lower last week. The deals seem to always come when I am not ready to fork over the cash.

http://sigsauer.com/Promotions/CurrentPromotions.aspx

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    I see SIG is running a promotion on the braces now for $125 free shipping and a free rifle bag. I would buy one but I just ordered a complete upper and a lower last week. The deals seem to always come when I am not ready to fork over the cash.

http://sigsauer.com/Promotions/CurrentPromotions.aspx
    Technically, wouldn't that be a "handgun bag" since it's for an AR *handgun*?

Boolit Master
    Technically, wouldn't that be a "handgun bag" since it's for an AR *handgun*?

Ahh, too big for an AR pistol. Tennis racket bags are the ticket for those. Picked up a nice double one at goodwill last month. Now I take the 9mm, and 300 blackout in the same bag to the range.What can I say, I'm cheap...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    Ahh, too big for an AR pistol. Tennis racket bags are the ticket for those. Picked up a nice double one at goodwill last month. Now I take the 9mm, and 300 blackout in the same bag to the range.What can I say, I'm cheap...
    Without a flash guard / thread protector on, my .300 AAC pistol with a 10.5" barrel is 25 1/2" long. With the thread protector, it's 25 7/8".

Haven't decided on sights for it yet though. I'm not inclined to spend $400-700 on an AimPoint when a $50 TruGlo would probably just as well serve my particular needs. I still can't decide whether to stay with iron sights or go with optics. I've never tried any of the red dot scopes though, so I don't know if I would like them.

Boolit Grand Master

There is a reason that higher end holographic sights cost what they do. I have a few of the cheap ones. The dots are more like an octopus then a dot. They're fine for close range blasting. But for any type of long range or precision shooting they suck. A 300 blackout upper is looking really tempting at the moment but it would be for no other reason than to have it. It would be a 16" upper which defeats the purpose of the round. But I don't want to wait a year to be able to shoot it.

Keep each upper with its own BCG so there is less problems. The BCG will cycle and mate to the barrel as it should and changing them can lead to trouble.

Without a flash guard / thread protector on, my .300 AAC pistol with a 10.5" barrel is 25 1/2" long. With the thread protector, it's 25 7/8".

Haven't decided on sights for it yet though. I'm not inclined to spend $400-700 on an AimPoint when a $50 TruGlo would probably just as well serve my particular needs. I still can't decide whether to stay with iron sights or go with optics. I've never tried any of the red dot scopes though, so I don't know if I would like them.
    I have an Aimpoint PRO on a Larue mount and both are top notch quality. The Vortex Sparc and Sparc II are good red dots at less than half of what a PRO costs (and smaller too) The Primary Arms red dots are also an option for even less money and better than a Truglo. For an AR pistol it is best to go with one of the small micro redot scopes IMO to try and cut down on the size/weight.

Boolit Master
    I use a Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5x32 on my 8.5" blackout pistol. Like this one... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    and the mount from Nikon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is a solid combo that is not to much bank. The scope has a lifetime guarantee, and between my Nikon's, and Vortex I like the Vortex better. I have some of the cheaper red dot/ reflex sights up to about 200$, and they just do not compare to the Eotech's or Acogs I have tried. They just cost to much for me. I get the accuracy, at a weight disadvantage, but I also save over 300$ with the combo at a minimum.

It makes for a nice black timber gun for hunting. Nice and light with quick acquisition of targets at the low power level. In dusk or dawn scenarios the reticle reflects gold against black even without being illuminated, and is brighter than just a holo sight because it gathers light.

I have heard good things about the primary arms red dots. If you are set on going that route I would give one of those a try, or at least consider one before plunking the change down on the most expensive options.

Boolit Mold
    This thread has me thinking I need more uppers. Of course I ALWAYS need more uppers, and magazines, and ammo...

Boolit Master

Well, I finally completed my .300 AAC build (other than deciding on sights). Here's a photo of it next to my 5.56 handgun build that is currently configured as a rifle.

As you can see, I decided to go with a separate lower and BCG for the additional upper.

Sorry for the crappy photo, but it was late and I was too tired to set up a REAL camera for the photo.
    Last edited by NavyVet1959; 08-19-2016 at 10:43 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I envy you guys. Every time I get an upper it only takes about a month or so before I can't stand looking at it all dejected in the safe and get another lower. Hell, lowers are almost the cheapest part anymore.

Even my 50BMG upper finally got its own lower.
    "Just try to remember which end makes the bad guys go away."

Dedicated BCG for each upper. I verify headspace at build time and consider it a dedicated package. Switching BCG's (IMHO) requires checking headspace in every weapon you switch between.

I don't have enough $$$ to have more than 1 of anything AR, although I would like to have an upper with a 20" and a 1 in 9 twist.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Garyshome View Post
    I don't have enough $$$ to have more than 1 of anything AR, although I would like to have an upper with a 20" and a 1 in 9 twist.

How about this?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Del-Ray View Post
    I envy you guys. Every time I get an upper it only takes about a month or so before I can't stand looking at it all dejected in the safe and get another lower. Hell, lowers are almost the cheapest part anymore.
    One thing that I've noticed though in my safe is that if I leave them in a handgun configuration or just have the uppers separated from the lowers, I can't put them in the long gun area and end up having to put them on the shelves. I'm running out of room to do that.