Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RIA / Armscorp M200 38spl

I just picked up a M206 this morning! I tore it apart and gave it a good cleaning & lube job. Doesn't look like I'll get to try it out till this weekend though. I've got various loads with 3 different bullet weights already made up to test, hopefully it likes the same load that my Charter 38 likes, that would make keeping a ready supply easier. I was planning on getting some Pachmayer's for it but I actually like how these ugly wooden grips feel in my hand, so I'll hold off on ordering different ones for now. I even lucked out and had 2 holsters in the holster box that it fits in!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE View Post
    I had a timing issue with the RIA M200 ,
    Did it have the timing issue out of the box, or did it develop over time?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    Did it have the timing issue out of the box, or did it develop over time?
    with time or at least time before i noticed it

i only had 50 rounds in it but had used it for dry fire training for several hundred more pulls of the trigger

i noticed the one i sent off the back of the cylinder where the hand lifts the cylinder to bring around the next round was pakerized , and the one i got back looks like that part is now stainless steel or at least bare of any finish

so i suspect that through many pulls of the trigger in double action that it wore down just a bit

the new one is tight and does not have the problem i have dry fired it maybe a hundred times and have about 60 round through it

i need to make up more and take it our again

Boolit Master
    made it to the range today and ran just short of a hundred rounds through it , the load is 2.5 gr Tight Wad under a lee 356-120tc lubed with 2 coats alox , it's nothing fancy but seems to shoot decent

I know there is no data on tight wad for 38 , i looked over the info and found some others testings and started as low and this was an increase from the last batch that were 2.3 gr , 2.5gr seems to be working i see no need to go any higher at this time

at 2.5 that is 2450 per can the cans are only 14oz as it is a bulky powder $16.75 is the price marked on the can .007 cents or less than a penny a round in powder , the primers i am currently using i gave 31 dollars the K so i have .038 cents plus tax coming to .0409 cents a round for powder and primer the lead i got with 4 tires and brakes i needed any way and it is so much easier to find that 22lr

i had no trouble hitting a 6 inch plate from 15-20 yards back i didn't get much on paper

on my next batch i will have to put some on paper from a rest and see how they do

really enjoying not picking up brass and not loosing any cases I am keeping a box of 50 federal factory loads that i mostly ran through the first gun separate and marking the box with how many loadings , to see how many i can get on one batch of brass , this was the second loading of those 50 pieces of brass
    Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 08-17-2014 at 11:18 PM.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Glad to hear its going well. I think you will find that the case mouths of your brass will eventually crack from repeated crimping before the brass actually wears out. That usually happens to mine sometime after the 20th loading.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Got to shoot my snubby some. Didn't try anything on paper but we were ringing steel with it at 15 and 20 yards more often than not! I'll have some more rounds and try some on paper next time out. My gun's trigger felt pretty good to me in both double and single action, and I had no leading shooting my range scrap cast sized at .358, mostly Lee tl158swc but I burned up some 125rf and 148wc too, all with Bullseye powder.

Greencountypete, mine has the stainless-looking rear of the cylinder too, no timing issues yet.

There is a 4" barrel version in a pawn shop near me that looks to have not been used much and has been there awhile. Might have to go make a deal on it...
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    There is a 4" barrel version in a pawn shop near me that looks to have not been used much and has been there awhile. Might have to go make a deal on it...
    check the ejector if it is bare metal i think it is better
    brand new peice was 230 dollars plus tax and fees
    I would offer 75 dollars , say your willing to take the risk on it for that, but you have heard of some issues , and the used ones don't carry a warranty , the warranty sheet says 1 year warranty from registered purchase

Centerfire Systems one county over sells 'em brand new for $199.95 so they turn up in pawn shops from time to time. The one I really would like to have is the 202, which has a 4" steel unshrouded barrel.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE View Post
    with time or at least time before i noticed it

i only had 50 rounds in it but had used it for dry fire training for several hundred more pulls of the trigger

i noticed the one i sent off the back of the cylinder where the hand lifts the cylinder to bring around the next round was pakerized , and the one i got back looks like that part is now stainless steel or at least bare of any finish

so i suspect that through many pulls of the trigger in double action that it wore down just a bit

the new one is tight and does not have the problem i have dry fired it maybe a hundred times and have about 60 round through it

i need to make up more and take it our again
    That's good to know. That's actually good that it happened at such a low round count, because it indicates a simple fitment problem rather than a durability problem. If it had cropped up after 1,000 rounds, that would be bad news.
    I've thought about buying one and putting 1,000 rounds of +P through it to see how it holds up.

Boolit Master
    made it to the range today

this fairly well sums up this gun ,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG2122_zpsb0c90f3d.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	115328

the first few shots will be perfect on the mark then it wanders low and right then settles in about just to the right , I have never had one do this but it seems the first shot or 3 will be right on then it starts to wander , I am probably responsible for some of the fliers but the pattern seems to keep happening it shoots to the right after warming up but not before wandering low

I didn't get to shoot the first one near as much I am at 300 rounds now on this one , but it also seemed to wander as it warmed up but low and left not right

I would really like to see a M202 with the un-shrouded barrel , i wonder if it stays put without the shroud of a different metal

but i am definitely digging being able to fill up one pocket with a box of shells and walk around shooting and when i am done all the empties are clean and in my other pocket , no picking up to do , no lost brass
    Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 09-02-2014 at 09:04 PM.

Boolit Buddy Low Budget Shooter's Avatar
    Yes, that is one of the nicest things about revolvers over against bottom feeders.
    I'm not sure where all the money is that I've "saved" by casting and reloading!

Do you guys find these revolvers shoot point of aim with 158 grain boolits?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Do you guys find these revolvers shoot point of aim with 158 grain boolits?

I only had the one box of factory 158gr LRN on a 6 inch target I had to use a 6 Oclock hold to hit he middle and then start wandering you can see that on my first targets posted at the beginning of the thread

with the 120-356tl and 2.5gr tight wad i am setting that approximately one inch dot drectly on top of the sight post and hitting it then wanderingdown then settling in just to the right

That wandering pattern is strange. I have no idea what would cause that.

I shot mine some more this weekend, maybe another 120 rounds or so. Still didn't try it on paper, but I can hit the steel almost as well with it as with my 4" gp100 or 1911 from up to 20 yds. I've been using a 6 o-clock hold shooting 158swc with a moderate bullseye load.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123