RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Problem with powder coated bullets

Boolit Master

Problem with powder coated bullets

I've been expermenting with HF red and DTBB coating bullets and ran into a problem. Using the Lee 358-105-SWC in 9mm rounds the reliability in my Glock 17 is 100% with conventionally lubed lead but I get 2 to 5 per 10 rounds with stovepipe jams when I use the exact same load with a powder coated bullet. The Lee 452-200-RF in 45acp also is 100% in my Glock 30, Glock 21, and 99% in Tisas 1911, RIA 1911 in lead but jams about 1 of 20 in the Glocks and 3 to 6 of 10 in the 1911's when I PC the bullet. It seems the PC isn't as slippery as lubed lead so the bullet nose sometimes sticks rather than sliding along the top of the chamber.

Anybody else seen this? Any fixes?

Boolit Grand Master

Stovepipe failures to eject - too light a load. I can't address your feeding question as all the PCed bullets I shoot in my semi-autos feed well (1911 45ACP, Ruger P90 45 ACP, FMX 9mm, Tokerev 9mm).
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    I need to ask for some clairification on your terminology. To me "stovepipe jam" means that the case is extracted from the chamber but the ejector does not kick it clear of the slide so the case is jammed vertically between the barrell hood and slide. From your discription it sounds like you have a failure to go into battery. Since you have such a high failure rate take a box of ammo make sure that they all pass the plunk test then shoot. What happens? I haven't tried powder coating yet, but I intend to, coating adds a few thou to the nose diameter so maybe you have a tight chamber? Try seating a little deeper. OK guys, I'm out of ideas anybody else?

Boolit Master
    I have the same issue with my Glock22 (9mm conversion) and lee 105SWC with powder paint. I have not tried this bullet conventional lube in this glock. the top of the bullet strikes the top of the chamber and stops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Idz View Post
    I've been expermenting with HF red and DTBB coating bullets and ran into a problem. Using the Lee 358-105-SWC in 9mm rounds the reliability in my Glock 17 is 100% with conventionally lubed lead but I get 2 to 5 per 10 rounds with stovepipe jams when I use the exact same load with a powder coated bullet. The Lee 452-200-RF in 45acp also is 100% in my Glock 30, Glock 21, and 99% in Tisas 1911, RIA 1911 in lead but jams about 1 of 20 in the Glocks and 3 to 6 of 10 in the 1911's when I PC the bullet. It seems the PC isn't as slippery as lubed lead so the bullet nose sometimes sticks rather than sliding along the top of the chamber.

Anybody else seen this? Any fixes?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by AggieEE View Post
    I need to ask for some clairification on your terminology. To me "stovepipe jam" means that the case is extracted from the chamber but the ejector does not kick it clear of the slide so the case is jammed vertically between the barrell hood and slide. From your discription it sounds like you have a failure to go into battery. Since you have such a high failure rate take a box of ammo make sure that they all pass the plunk test then shoot. What happens? I haven't tried powder coating yet, but I intend to, coating adds a few thou to the nose diameter so maybe you have a tight chamber? Try seating a little deeper. OK guys, I'm out of ideas anybody else?
    AggieEE is correct... For me PC did add enough to the nose diameter that I had to seat them deeper to prevent any issues going into battery... Use your barrel and do the "plunk" test.

Boolit Master

Sorry for the confusion. The problem is a failure to feed. If the round chambers it fires and ejects fine. What it appears to happen: the slide moves forward to strip the round, the round hits the feed ramp and is cammed up, the nose hits the top of the chamber and sometimes gets stuck. The round is left with the nose against the top of the chamber and the base stuck on the front of the magazine feed lips.

Boolit Master

Plunk tests work fine. The Glocks seem to have generous chambers compared to the 1911's. Its not a chambering issue, if the round gets around the corner it chambers, fires, and ejects just fine. Since I size the rounds after lubing or PC the OD should be the same 0.452 or 0.356/0.357/0.358 (tried all for the 9mm) for all of them.
    The strange thing is regular lubed lead feeds fine but PC does not.

Boolit Master
    Try the Lee 120gr, TC. It works quite well in my Glocks.
    So does the TC for the 40 cal.

Boolit Master

I've switched to the Lee 358-125-RF for the 9mm since it feeds fine, but the SWC made such nice holes I was hoping to use it.
    I tried the 452-200-SWC with PC for 45acp but it jams on feeding almost every time.

Boolit Grand Master

Hmmm. PCing only adds about .002" to the diameter of the bullet, pre sizing. Are your guns so tight that .002" will cause a stoppage?
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Bub
    I have found that with the type of failure to feed that you are describing that seating the boolet a little longer helps

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Similar problems with 9mm. Once I went with the MIHec no lube groove mold and use the LEE factory crimp die (lightly) all problems went away. Same with my 1911 45 ACP. Seating depth is extremely critical. Takes a lot of playing around with dummy loads. Just use a kinetic puller to remove the bad ones and do it over again, adjusting stuff.

Semi automatic guns are just extremely finicky!!!!!!! I prefer revolvers and long guns!

They will just about shoot anything you can stuff in them.

bangerjim

Like some others, I think playing with your seating depth should clear up this issue.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Boolit Master

Yes, I've been fiddling with OAL. Its tricky with the 9mm avoiding pressure spikes. Anybody have any loads they've had success with? My problem feeding loads:
    9mm, Lee 358-105-swc, DTBB HF red, sized 0.358, 1.000 OAL, 3.64 gr W231
    45acp, Lee 452-200-RF, DTBB HF red, sized 0.452, 1.150 OAL, 4.82 gr W231

Quote Originally Posted by Idz View Post
    Yes, I've been fiddling with OAL. Its tricky with the 9mm avoiding pressure spikes. Anybody have any loads they've had success with? My problem feeding loads:
    9mm, Lee 358-105-swc, DTBB HF red, sized 0.358, 1.000 OAL, 3.64 gr W231
    45acp, Lee 452-200-RF, DTBB HF red, sized 0.452, 1.150 OAL, 4.82 gr W231
    Sorry, I have been running a Russian shell shot powder called SALUT.
    4.3 gr DTBB any color Cardinal brand PC set to the crimp groove. I haven't even pulled out the calipers in a while. Runs great I my W/ German P226 and 92FS.
    It's to bad I finished off the SALUT this week, now I'll be working up some Tightgroup.
    This weekend will tell how they do.

Boolit Grand Master
    I found I must size my 45 ACP's to 451 and then use a Lee FCD to bring the case back into factory spec size to get them to chamber and cycle 100%. I now can load successfully 4 of my 45 cal boolits, including that 200gn you list above!

Only other thing you can do is buy a $40 throat reamer and get rid of that step ridge down inside the 1911 (if that is your gun).

bangerjim

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo 5959 View Post
    Sorry, I have been running a Russian shell shot powder called SALUT.
    4.3 gr DTBB any color Cardinal brand PC set to the crimp groove. I haven't even pulled out the calipers in a while. Runs great I my W/ German P226 and 92FS.
    It's to bad I finished off the SALUT this week, now I'll be working up some Tightgroup.
    This weekend will tell how they do.
    TG is all I load now. Excellent powder.

banger

Boolit Master
    no experience with the 9mm but I just shot 150 PC red from HF through my CZ52 7.62x25 and not one fail to feed or eject period. The CZ52 can be problematic reloading sometimes but after the first one 20 years ago i have never had a problem. I use the 93 gr LEE mold PC then sized .310
    Frank G.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance gpidaho's Avatar
    Not the choice that all agree on but the LFCD sure improves bullet feeding with PCd bullets in my pistols. GP

when I have too thick of a PC coating in my 300blk and 9mm I was having similar issues. not the stovepipes, but going into battery. so I started sizing after PC and post-sizing the finished round with the resize die with the pin removed. problem solved for me