Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: End of the road for IMR 4759?

I recently purchased 8 lbs. of it on blind faith and loaded up some 180gr. RCBS SP boolits over 22gr. of powder in my old tang-safety M-77. Shot a bit less than a 2" group at 100 yds. with just a 4x scope and front bag rest. It's a pretty stout load compared to 16gr. 2400 under a 165-SIL RCBS.

It's interesting that the 165-SIL is very accurate with that 2400 load but much less so with 20gr. of 4959. The opposite is true of the 180gr. SP, at least in my informal range tests so far.

Chris

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    I use it and love it in my mid-power 450 Marlin and 7.5 Swiss cast loads.

I bought an 8# keg last spring- should last me my lifetime.
    Once you start using it in cast boolit loads, it goes alot faster than you think!

Boolit Master
    IMR 8188 from JBartlett is a completely different powder. I have both and 8188 looks nothing like retail versions of SR4759. Similar burn rate but not the same powder.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BrassFinger View Post
    I recently purchased 8 lbs. of it on blind faith and loaded up some 180gr. RCBS SP boolits over 22gr. of powder in my old tang-safety M-77. Shot a bit less than a 2" group at 100 yds. with just a 4x scope and front bag rest. It's a pretty stout load compared to 16gr. 2400 under a 165-SIL RCBS.

It's interesting that the 165-SIL is very accurate with that 2400 load but much less so with 20gr. of 4959. The opposite is true of the 180gr. SP, at least in my informal range tests so far.

Chris
    What caliber are you using this load in? I have a Ruger M77 in 06 and have been wanting to try 2400 and the 165 sil, but right now, I'm low on 2400
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Quote Originally Posted by ubetcha View Post
    What caliber are you using this load in? I have a Ruger M77 in 06 and have been wanting to try 2400 and the 165 sil, but right now, I'm low on 2400
    I have the same gun, ubetcha. It's a mid '71 vintage "hollow bolt", 22" Douglas barrel with flip down rear sight and original Redfield 4x "wideview" scope. I picked it up used this spring from a LGS in almost new condition and it's a beautiful gun and great shooter.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140316_155813_767.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	115149Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140316_160251_751.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	115150

-Chris

Boolit Master
    Hi Ubetcha! From what I understand, this powder was developed to be used in reduced loads for rifles like the '06. I have used it for most accurate cast bullet loads I've shot in .30-06, .257 Ackley and 6.5 X 06. All of these were in the 1600-1800 fps range and all with bullets that were heavier ones (although I suppose lighter ones might work. At last year's Winnemucca shoot, one of our own used it in a Steyr .375 H & H and it shot a very respectable group before we ran out of ammo. I think this powder sits in a class of it's own as far as cast shooting goes but I have had similar good luck wih RX-7 in my .30-06 and the Lyman 311290.

That being said, it is the worst powder for running thru a measure that I know of and some people I know hate the stuff.

"That being said, it is the worst powder for running thru a measure that I know of and some people I know hate the stuff."

It took a lot of messing with it ( no mods just trying different settings ) , but I've got my lyman 55 where it can run 4759 faily well . I have almost a # , but for the most part saving it for the kids reduced loads . I'm really liking the results I'm getting with RL-7 in the 700 rem in 308 and the 7mm-08 striker. A lot of IHMSA shooters rely on 4759 & for that game its hard powder to beat about the perfect power range , fills the case good . One positive for me on this 4759 going away business is , it got me off my butt and to the store to buy a pound of RL-7.
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Master
    I use 18gr of 4759 and the 165gr sil in my 14" 30-30 T/C for IHMSA shooting. I have to find a powder that will work as good for that too. Right now I will start with R-7 or may try Unique. My project in work right now is my 12" G2 in 357Max re-chambered my Mike Bellm. Last match with only 50m settings, I shot a 34x40. I didn't think that was bad for a match with out proper sight settings. 15gr IMR 4227 and a RCBS 180 gr sil bullet.
    Concerning 2400 in the 06. is a filler recommended?
    Last edited by ubetcha; 09-01-2014 at 02:26 PM.
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

I use 18gr of 4759 and the 165gr sil in my 14" 30-30 T/C for IHMSA shooting. I have to find a powder that will work as good for that too. Right now I will start with R-7 or may try Unique. My project in work right now is my 12" G2 in 357Max re-chambered my Mike Bellm. Last match with only 50m settings, I shot a 34x40. I didn't think that was bad for a match with out proper sight settings. 15gr IMR 4227 and a RCBS 180 gr sil bullet.
    Concerning 2400 in the 06. is a filler recommended?
    Can't say on the filler for 06 I ve never had to use any. The 34 with on 50m sight settings is pretty good. A lot can happen from 50 to 200
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall623 View Post
    Can't say on the filler for 06 I ve never had to use any. The 34 with on 50m sight settings is pretty good. A lot can happen from 50 to 200
    Had to hold a the base of the chicken foot, center hold on pigs and turkeys, and horizontal scope hair horn high on the rams. I just need range time to get proper settings. My initial settings were off the bench.not from the Creedmore shooting position.
    Life NRA member

Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Mold
    I often see 5744 and 4227 mentioned as replacements for 4759 but almost never see 4198 mentioned. Seems to be the redheaded stepchild of powders anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by polebilly View Post
    I often see 5744 and 4227 mentioned as replacements for 4759 but almost never see 4198 mentioned. Seems to be the redheaded stepchild of powders anymore.
    Before I started shooting 4759 , I ran IMR 4198 in my 7 TCU with 130 lees and 160 Lymans and they shot good and its the most accurate in my 223 contender with 55 gr. Sierra's . The 30 Herrett likes it too

Boolit Grand Master

BrassFinger, drop your load to 18 or 19gr and you might like it better.
    I have found the Lee Pro Disk measure works very well with SR4659. I recently bought an #8 jug.

Boolit Master
    >>"That being said, it is the worst powder for running thru a measure that I know of and some people I know hate the stuff." <<

I use a Lyman/AMT Autoscale. It dispenses the powder into a mechanical scale. SR4759 works great. The large granules dispense quickly right down to the 1/10 of a grain by just the push of a button. The AMT Autoscale was designed for large grained powders.

I don't use a measure for anything except ball powders.

Attachment 115580

Last edited by EDG; 09-05-2014 at 10:48 PM.
    EDG

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    BrassFinger, drop your load to 18 or 19gr and you might like it better.
    I have found the Lee Pro Disk measure works very well with SR4659. I recently bought an #8 jug.
    Thanks, leadman. I was going to load some up today and head to the range later on, so I'll give that a try. I have a Redding measure as well as a Lyman measure and like the Redding quite a bit better. It not the greatest with 4759, mostly having issues with bridging in the drop tube, so I just have to be careful and make sure each case gets the full charge and weigh-verify more often.

Chris

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
    If my results are indicative of it's potential, I say good riddance.
    If my results are indicative of it's potential I'd say I'm in trouble, I'm down to about 21 pounds. If I run into more I'll grab it but if the past several months are an indication I think I have a problem.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12