MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: What is this?

What is this?

I got this piece of equipment in a box of lube/sizer and other reloading stuff. I don't know what it is. Any ideas? The short piece that hangs down from the handle is made of brass and the bottom is concave. Could it be a tool to load black powder pistol cylinders ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Boolit Master
    That is the best guess I could come up with but it sure seems like overkill for that application. Is the spacing between the upright and the "ram" appropriate for typical bp revolvers?

Boolit Buddy

OuchHot! got it.
    It's for loading the cylinder of a cap & ball BP pistol.
    "An armed society is a polite society" R.A. Heinlein 1907 - 1988

Boolit Grand Master

"Home made" arbor press. I made one for pressing bearings into alternator frames when I was an apprentice. Can't see enough to determine what the post in the center bottom is for, but if it came with some reloading stuff, I'd say the original user used it for straight line dies...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Banned
    Cap and ball loader.

Boolit Master

An old timer gave me one of these and said it was a gas check seater. It worked well but it was slow.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Grand Master

I never knew so many black powder cylinder reloading tools existed, them black powder boys like to invent and re-invent the wheel.
    I always used the lever that was on the underside if the barrel when shooting my 1851 Navy Colt reproduction revolver. Taking the barrel off every time to reload seems to be a pain.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I never knew so many black powder cylinder reloading tools existed, them black powder boys like to invent and re-invent the wheel.
    I always used the lever that was on the underside if the barrel when shooting my 1851 Navy Colt reproduction revolver. Taking the barrel off every time to reload seems to be a pain.
    Gary
    Off the gun loading is useful when one has multiple cylinders for rapid reload via swapping in a loaded cylinder.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Not all bp revolvers had loading levers ,but even then the remington didn't require barrel removal as the colt did
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM