RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Most accurate swaged boolit you've made?

Boolit Buddy

Most accurate swaged boolit you've made?

For long range shooting, how accurate of a bullet have you been able to produce? Can you produce match grade ammo?

For instance, 300 yards seems to be on the high end for casting accuracy (6.5mm Swede casted by member starmetal). What's the high end for accurate swaged bullets?
    Last edited by wacki; 06-24-2014 at 09:39 AM.

Boolit Master

I swage 30 caliber .308 and 22 caliber .224 bullets that equal Berger and Sierra match bullets. Mine are at least as good if not better. For folks with VLD dies 1000 yd match bullets are not out of the question. There is absolutely no reason you cannot make better bullets than you can buy including Match grade.

Boolit Master
    What he said. My rebated BT VLD 195 grain with good jackets "corbin or Berger" will run .25 MOA and less in my .308. Just started with them but already as good or better than anything production. That's why BR guys use custom bullet makers. Better tolerances and done by hand.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Reload3006 View Post
    I swage 30 caliber .308 and 22 caliber .224 bullets that equal Berger and Sierra match bullets. Mine are at least as good if not better. For folks with VLD dies 1000 yd match bullets are not out of the question. There is absolutely no reason you cannot make better bullets than you can buy including Match grade.
    PM sent

Boolit Master

@ sgt the post right before yours defined accuracy he was getting as .25 moa I have similar results. I am commonly achieving .25 MOA at 100

Boolit Master

LOL depending on the day I could step out of that .25 at 25 yds. Bad day. As you know there is a ton of things that affect accuracy Gun Weather Wind all of it. I assure you the projectile is not on of the issues. It can be if I don't assemble it correctly. But Normally its going to be Me first, then the weather which comes back to me then the Gun which comes back to me. Then the ammo. Suffice it to say I stick with my statement that I make as good or better bullets than Sierra or Berger. But to be fair to them I am using their jackets or Corbin jackets.

Vendor Sponsor

I haven't taking too many past 100 yrds yet, but it certainly surprises me the accuracy potential of a bullet even if it doesn't look like it should be

Here is a 4 shot group at 100 with 30 cal bullets made from 5.7 brass. I was upset that I pulled the 3rd shot but put the next right where it was supposed to be. Although it is good at 100 the flat base might have some challenges at LONG range.

and here is another bullet that surprised me, a 225 grain 40 cal from 9mm brass with a swaged airsoft nose shot from a 40-308 at 300 yrds into a 1.65" group = .55 MOA

Hopefully I'll get a chance to shoot some of my swaged bullets for LONG range accuracy soon. I know these where not 5 shot groups but I was impressed being only scrap brass jackets.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Buddy

Show-off........................................hehehe
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Space for Witty Signature Line FOR RENT...........Cheap

Boolit Master

I have fire some groups just over 3/4 minute, with 6mm bullets fired from an overused barrel.
    The bullets were formed from fired .22mag brass weighed 106 grains.
    Might be a while before the boys at benchmark ship a new barrel my way............
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Buddy
    Wow. Getting a press just jumped to the top of my wish list. Thank you guys and keep the posts coming!

cool stuff.

My general answer to that question is pretty much what I think any bullet maker thinks. Question - "how accurate are your bullets? "
    Answer - "Better than you can shoot."

Not trying to be a butthead about it, but if you can shoot very well, then you know what all goes into the equation, and it is not a simple answer, and it has a whole lot of qualifiers. Point being, if you have to ask, they will shoot better than you.

I'm not sure how you rate these measurements, but here are some results from a customer in Queensland, for 2 boxes G7L-284-168gr long range target projectiles made last February:

ICC - Vern Junke Machine - 'fine' setting

#1 Box of 100
    33 @ 1 unit or less of deviation
    54 @ 2 units of deviation
    13 @ 3 units of deviation

#2 Box of 100
    32 @ 1 unit or less of deviation
    52 @ 2 units of deviation
    16 @ 3 units of deviation

Same production batch from another customer in Western Australia the week before doing some load development reported groups as small as 0.4 @ 200y for 3-shots through his re-barrel 7mmWSM, or 0.196MOA @ 200y if you like. The remainder of the groups didn't go over 1" @ 200y.

I did some base-to-ogvie measurements on a Sinclair Bullet Comparator with the dial indicator last night on the left-overs from the same production batch just to see if there was anything special going on. I had 13 samples that didn't make it into a box, they ran with +/-0.0015" base-to-ogive difference. I also had 25 samples designated as 'die warm-up/poor tip/poor ejection/you're never getting in a box for sale' that ran with +/-0.0025" base-to-ogive difference.

Just makes me wonder about the batch of G7L-284-180gr's that I took a sample of 20 and measured a base-to-ogive of <+/-0.001", I had to check the needle was moving.

What's the most accurate swaged bullet I've made, who cares just as long as it's exactly the same as the previous one???
    Only a few long range shooters grasp the concept because their wind reading skills start to show-up groups with poor verticals at 1000y when they go chasing the X's.

When my projectiles go into a box for sale I certainly like to think that they're accurate, because I can't stand the thought of wasting all that time and effort swaging.
    Last edited by aaronraad; 06-27-2014 at 01:29 AM.

Boolit Buddy

The last ones..............................................
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Space for Witty Signature Line FOR RENT...........Cheap

Boolit Buddy
    Hand swaged bullets will in my opinion shoot better then Machine made bullets.
    If you keep the core weight tight and have set of really great dies. Mine have shot close to zero groups at 100 yds and close to .300 groups at 200 yds in calm conditions
    at 300 yds I have shot group slightly bigger then actual 1/2 inch at times The 10 ogive I have has been tested all the way out to 1200 yds and from what i was told by the user shot excellent.
    If you pay attention to your operations I believe anyone could make a bullet just as good providing they have Good dies and great jackets to work with.

Banned

there is some technique and a feel involved too.
    you can't just slam them out, you need to develop a process through a little trial and error.
    I have developed a tendency to batch process things so I can get a flow going and just concentrate on what I am doing.
    it's a little tedious and monotonous, but it produces the best results for me.