RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger #1 9.3 x 62

Boolit Master

Ruger #1 9.3 x 62

Well I managed to put my hands on one of these finally. Unfortunately it is still over at my LGS, since I have to raise the funds to get it. It is the caliber Ruger decided to chamber the #1 medium sporter in this year and I blame my dad for planting the idea in my head that I needed one. Of course, when I unwrapped it to look at it, all thoughts of CZ 550's and Sako's left my head because it is a nice one. The walnut isn't fancy but it is dense, straight-grained, looks good and the checkering is nice also. The bluing is really intense and looks better than other #1's I have seen. I wish I had snapped a picture but that will have to be added later.

They had been looking for me for a couple of months and finally one of their distributors got two in and they snagged one for me.

All of this arose from a good deal I got on Lapua 9.3 x 62 brass I also picked up the NOE 9.3 mold after Swede reran it after I submitted a request. What an enabler! It is a gc 280 gr and looks very capable.

So I find myself without dies and am seeking a recommendation in case there are some issues with a particular brand in this caliber. I have dies from all the major manufacturers, so I get whatever works best for my application. I am most interested in hearing from folks loading this caliber.

Any loads or hints would also be appreciated.

Edit - here is a picture from my cell phone. Not the best but you see it is a nice example of a medium sporter. The picture makes the buttstock look darker than the forend, but in fact they are very well matched together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails #1.jpg  
    Last edited by Fishman; 06-26-2014 at 01:31 PM.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    Any loads or hints would also be appreciated.
    Is jealously appreciated What was the cost, please.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Junior1942 View Post
    Is jealously appreciated What was the cost, please.
    Yet to be determined, but in the neighborhood of $1,250. Yikes. My 45/70, which was used, was $450 a few years ago. I am going to fund it by doing the old sell/trade multiple guns to get one. That's the only way I've ever been able to afford a really nice one.

The 9.3x62mm Mauser bug got me to , loading cast bullets for it took a bit of research and go with thing that work from past experience, as I have found NO published cast bullet data for this round , if you come across some please share! I am using 40Gr. of H4895 pushing a 285Gr. cast flat nose with gas check at 1750FPS
    As for the reloading die's that was the easy part RCBS full length die set I added a Lyman neck expander M die for cast bollets and the Lee factory crimp die. So far I am loving this round. My rifle is taking better to cast bollets than J-words

Boolit Master
    i have a Westphal bolt action. . very slender euro rifle. I have been using 53 gr of 3031 . with a 285 gr norma. Works out well. I only use Jacked . still heavy recoil.
    If your interested I have been selling them on the site . They are $30.00 per 100 shipped. I can send a Photo if you want
    Dies are available @ midway $34.99
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Hodgdon has data for the 9.3x62. You can substitute jacketed bullet data for cast, but the speeds will be high. My 9.3 is the Ruger No. 1 in the 74 mm rimmed configuration. I find that 4895 and mil surp powders intended for 50 BMG work well with cast bullets up to 1800 fps. My mold for this gun is an LBT LFN GC at 270 grains. Using an XS Sights sight set with a Williams threaded insert this gun will consistently shoot five shot groups at 100 yards from prone that are sub two inch. Some lucky groups are around one inch.

BTW, mine has the prettiest walnut I've ever seen on a production rifle.

You should easily be able to duplicate my results with your new rifle.

Take care, Tom

Boolit Master

All, thanks for the input and info. My plan is to keep this a cast only gun. Is anyone pushing it faster than 1800 fps? Perhaps there is no need to do so? I plan on using it on paper, deer, and hogs.

286Gr. X 1800FPS= 514,800 Plenty of energy , I am getting 100 Yard groups close to 1 inch what animal would in North America needs any harder hit than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    All, thanks for the input and info. My plan is to keep this a cast only gun. Is anyone pushing it faster than 1800 fps? Perhaps there is no need to do so? I plan on using it on paper, deer, and hogs.
    You certainly can run them faster. It shouldn't be any big deal to get 2200 - 2250 fps from your cast bullets and an appropriate charge of IMR4895. You may get some leading, but you can clean it out pretty easily with a bore brush and Chore Boy.

However, using LBT Blue Soft lube and gas checked bullets I am getting no leading and very good accuracy at 1800 fps. My bullets are cast of wheel weight metal with one pound of linotype and one half pound of 50/50 solder per 20 pounds of alloy. I doubt if the linotype is needed, but the bullets are so pretty I'll continue using it.

Take care, Tom

Quote Originally Posted by dh2 View Post
    286Gr. X 1800FPS= 514,800 Plenty of energy , I am getting 100 Yard groups close to 1 inch what animal would in North America needs any harder hit than that.
    You have calculated momentum in units of (gr. ft.)/sec. Energy in English units is usually given in ft. lb. The formula is

E = [(v^2)(m)]/450,425

where v^2 is fps squared, m is grains, and 450,425 converts to the correct units of ft. lb. A 286 grain bullet at 1800 fps has a kinetic energy of 2057.3 ft. lb., which is considerable.

Take care, Tom

Boolit Master
    Fisherman,

For reloading dies try Hornady..

They have a sliding sleeve in their seater which can be easily removed and honed out to accommodate your larger cast bullet..

Their tapered expander is plus also..

In addition to H4895, Varget works well also..

Good luck with your new rifle..

Banned
    I would happily drive down to Waco (live in Dallas) to help shot the #1!!!! I know you have good brass but can this case be made by necking up 06 brass?

Yes, 9.3x62mm cases can be made from 30-06 cases with little effort. They will probably need trimming.

Boolit Master
    Privi brass in the 9.3X62 has worked well for me. I would like a #1....please show pictures and wreck my bank balance.

Boolit Master

Well lots of responses so far! I hope to have pictures in a day or two, maybe even have my mitts on it for good! It looks like I will need to look for some 4895, since I don't have any, or Varget which is really hard to find now. As for cases, I was fortunate enough to pick up some Lapua at a discount, and wow that is some nice stuff.

For those that want one, best to be looking now since it is for this year only and I'd bet they won't make very many of them.

Boolit Master

Well I have the gun! Cost before tax was $1,199. I added a picture to the first post but it is just a cell phone pic. It makes it look like the buttstock is darker than the forend, but they actually are very well matched.

Now I have to start looking for a good scope. I'm thinking a low power variable, Leupold, maybe one of the newer ones with more than 3x power range. Share away if you have an opinion.

Lately I've gravitated to the Leupold 2.5x Ultralight scope. Absolutely love it!

Boolit Master

I will have to check that out. I shot several deer with my inline scoped with a weaver steelite 2.5x and currently that scope is still working fine on my son's inline. Great for hunting. My thought with a low power, wide range variable was to get this capability along with more magnification for testing loads on targets. Of course I did a lot of load testing to 200 yards with my inline and I never thought I was deprived . . .

I have a half dozen No. 1 rifles, and have tried many sight sets. Even the lighter No. 1s are pretty heavy. If you mount a standard 3-9x scope and use the rifle for a couple of weeks, then put a Leupold 2.5x Ultralight on it, you will be amazed at the improvement in handling. This particular scope has about five inches of eye relief too! That's particularly well suited to the No. 1 rifle, as the scope mount is pretty far forward.

Boolit Master

Good info. I have experienced the problem with scope mounting on a #1. Thanks for reminding me about eye relief.

Edit- You aren't kidding. 6.5 oz! That's the same as the little leupold 4x rim fire scope I have. 4.9" of eye relief and $269 free shipping from Midway. A strong contender.
    Last edited by Fishman; 06-28-2014 at 12:29 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast