RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 hp for rabid fox?

Boolit Master

.22 hp for rabid fox?

A buddy of mine has a rabies problem in his neighborhood, wants to know my thoughts on 22lr hp for fox/raccoon sized critters. If they're rabid, I think I'd like a little more horsepower but I've never shot anything larger than a rabbit with a 22. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by JSnover; 06-22-2014 at 08:49 PM.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Buddy

If it were me, I'd use a shotgun.
    Jim

Boolit Master
    Same here. I think he's trying to avoid the 30-06, since he has neighbors. If he didn't live 800 miles away I'd loan him a proper tool for the job.

Boolit Master

i have killed a few fox and a lot of coons and 2 coyotes with a 22 LR and 22 shorts fox are small only about 15 LBS or so
    a 22LR will work just fine
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master
    I agree with Luckydawg, the .22 will be fine for foxes and raccoons. The only problem might be if he needs to send it in for testing.

From what I remember about a rabies scare around here back in the 1970's, they needed an intact brain to test. That ruled out head shots, (and probably got a lot of SSS action going).

Robert

Boolit Master
    Thanks, I'll pass that along

Boolit Buddy
    I've shot a lot of foxes with the .22lr. Stick with HV hollow points and be prepared for the 50 yard dash and drop when you hit em in the boiler room.

Boolit Master
    Shoot them with whatever you got and bury them. Testing brings the health and game officials. Rabies is so prevalent in my area the health dept doesn't even check anymore.

Boolit Buddy
    .22 lr will drop a fox easy. ive killed deer with one a few times. shoot it in the ear and theyll drop like a rock. shot placement is key.

Boolit Master
    I've been having to shoot a lot of skunks (our major rabies vector locally) here, the .22 high speed HP works fine, and has worked fine on the foxes I've shot with it (all head shots) but like jsizemore sez, just kill 'em & bury 'em. I don't waste time & energy with burial (buzzards gotta eat too) but it sounds like he's more suburban than rural.

CCI Stinger with drop them in their tracks.

Shoot them, wait, if they move shoot them again. Repeat as necessary. Bigger is ok but will also draw more attention, and might scare other foxes away.

Have not had a rabies problem in our area for years now, but I have shot a few rabid skunks walking down the road in the middle of the day. One of them actually charged me. So I jumped back in the truck and went 200 yards and by the time he was 50 yards out I was loaded and ready for him.

Best of luck eliminating the problem, and make SURE your kids are educated to not approach anything that is acting funny.

Boolit Master
    Local wildlife folks advised that rabies virus dies when the animal goes cold, after I called about a dead raccoon in water trough. Rabies has become common in this area. Wildlife officials not interested in testing unless people or animals are in contact with live animals, due to expense. I was advised to simply bury or toss the carcass. A .22 should be fine. One of the super velocity hollowpoints if you can find them. CCI Velocitor work very well on raccoon and skunk, should work on fox.

all information you have been given on here is good. except for the fact that if the animal has rabies and its not a heart or head shot its most likely not going down. a rabid coon on a outdoor pistol range took so many hits and not just from a 22 lr. unable to walk after so many hits. I went out and put two more 22 rounds in its head.I use a 218 bee or a 17 wsm nothing smaller. GD
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    I dropped 3 adult fox in my yard! ( Suburbs) this past year. They were eating my cats. 2 where they stood and one ran 20 yds : with CCI Velocitor 40 grain 22 LR HP I like that round if you can find it.
    All were chest shots: Broadside, Quartering, & Head on ( the runner) all at less then 50 yds
    Sorry don't know much about rabid animals however.
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Raccoons are simply tough animals, able to soak up body shots. I would be reluctant to shoot one with a 22 unless I had a pretty clear head shot with high probability that I would make the shot. Wounded raccoon even if not rabid is not something one wants to have running around.

I have seen one take 2 rounds of 30 carbine before finally getting knocked out of the tree still snarling by a third round.

Boolit Grand Master

Not sure whats changed but 22s dont seem as effective as they were when I was younger on wood chucks skunks and fox sized animals. We used to put steers and hogs down for butchering with one when we buthered but was a very controlled shot and very close range. I went to 22 hornet or a 218 bee for nuisence animals around the house. Not much louder than the 22 but more oomph. The 22-250, swift and 243 are way more blast and energu than is needed. With sick or dieseased animals a quick kill and not traveling is important. You want to dispatch a sick animal as quickly and humanely as possibly. Also wear disposable gloves when handling the carcass and keep children and pets away from it.

Boolit Master

People go to Africa and spend big money for the thrill and excitement of hunting dangerous game. Use the 22 lr and get the same thrill on the cheap.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    I asked one of the state diagnostic vets about rabies. He said as long as the saliva or blood is still liquid, rabies could be transmitted. I bury to cut down on scavengers having rabies spread to them from an easy fresh meal. I mind a couple dozen farms in central and eastern NC, and southeastern Va.

Boolit Master
    My buddies shooting abilities are up to it, he and his daughter have been competing locally for years. I'll pass along the HV/HP advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast