Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi-Tec vs Powder Coating Comparison

Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    I was lucky and got nice used fancy-pancy Wolfgang Puck convection oven for $10 from someone on Craigslist.

Can you elaborate on this? Don't the boolits get stuck together, and have mesh marks on them? It seems that the coating would be uneven and affect boolit performance. Does the extra powder fall through the mesh and get reused?

Thanks - Randy
    Randy,
    None of those are issues.

As soon as the oven buzzer goes off, pull the tray out of the oven and swirl it around. This will dislodge any boolits stuck to the mesh and dislodges most boolits stuck together. For those that are still stuck together (usually around 4 pairs out of 100 boolits cooked) you can easily break them apart (use a hotpad because they are HOT).

There are minimal mesh marks.

Don't know why the coating would be uneven. I don't find it to be. Accuracy is equal to any other boolits I've shot through my gun (includes factory cast, my own conventionally lubed boolits, HI-Tek coated, and epoxy paint coated).

After tumbling, I dump the boolits into the mesh tray and lightly swirl them around. That knocks of excessive powder, which falls onto a paper, which gets put back into the powder container for future use. That tray then is stuck directly into the oven.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonz View Post
    I thought the Hi-Tek stuff needed a double coat and double bake ?
    That is correct

Boolit Master
    espc just takes too much space and is too messy. Unless you can have a dedicated table in your garage where all the stuff is already ready and everything.
    Would like to try hi tek when avail in powder to canada.

Boolit Master
    espc just takes too much space and is too messy. Unless you can have a dedicated table in your garage where all the stuff is already ready and everything.
    Would like to try hi tek when avail in powder to canada.

Not really. I have the gun & cables in a box, takes about 15 min to charge the tank & set up. Spray on a cardboard or newspaper on the WB, then move to the oven. Clean up & put everything back in the box. Move box to corner of garage. I do about 400 30 cal rifle at a time. Push oven to the back of the WB & put the pot on, cast some more.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

There is no haz-mat charge with Hi-tek coating. Just can not go by air from what I recall. The powder will be cheaper to ship due to no extra weight for the liquids.
    Check with Donnie at Bayou Bullets.

How about some velocity-leading issues between the two? Any one do that type of testing to share?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12