Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: how do you handle powder??

Boolit Buddy

Did you know you can go to prison for tearing the tag off your mattress, too?

Boolit Master
    Well Jim stopped by and got to watch me reload a few different calibers. THEN HE got to reload a few 44 mags With cast bullets. Not max ,but comfortable hunting loads. He also has a 30-06 that we loaded 50 cases with the 311041 bullet. He promised to come back and learn to cast when it gets cooler out. He is going to the range tomorrow to try out the reloads. He ordered a reloading setup already. He was surprised at the number of reloading manuals on my shelf.

Boolit Buddy
    Cornbread has the process down. One Powder and one powder only. When I am done with that, it is empty out the powder dispenser and back in the cabinet. I did a review of non linear structural analysis last year and the impressive note in relation to fire arms is when metal goes non linear(ie. KaBOOM for you non technical types) It happens in a very small range of pressure increases. You will never get any warning when you cross that threshold. If you need a more powerful or faster projectile get the appropriate gun..

Bob

Boolit Grand Master
    like you can't return the sprue from your mold back into the pot
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    There is one born every minute!

banger

And the second hand was pointing straight up when this guy was born.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodOlBoy View Post
    I use Lee Powder Measure Kit (Dippers) and I handle powder differently. As has been said only ONE powder is on the bench at a time PERIOD, but I DO use a cut down powder container to house the powder I am dipping from while loading. When I am done loading the remaining powder goes back in it's original container (which is still on the bench) and get's locked back in the cabinet. I never mix powders, and I even go so far as never mixing lot numbers. When I am done loading my cut down powder container (an old Trail Boss Powder container) gets put in the dishwasher and run through before it is reused. I don't want to risk even the possibility of cross powder contamination in ANY amounts. That all being said. If I have to interrupt my loading for a phone call or other issue it all get's returned to the original container immediately if possible. If not and I have had to leave the room for any amount of time, AND there is anybody else in the area the powder get's dumped if I can't identify it. IE Trail Boss is easy to identify from any other powder. But I couldn't tell you the difference in Unique, HP-38, etc just by looking at the open powder without a label on it. I once had a buddy stay over for the weekend for some shooting practice and I had to leave my workroom to answer the front door. When I returned I found him staring into a second powder container via flashlight while the first was still on my bench (the lid was off the first which it hadn't been when I left). He assured me he hadn't mixed anything up, but I taped both containers closed with masking tape labeled "unknown do not use" until I could dispose of them. He was a little offended but I told him I wasn't about to risk a problem over a couple of partial cans of powder. Then I closed up my work room and called it a day. Everybody has their own methods for reloading, and so long as safety measures are followed I can't fault anybody for doing something different than I do it, unless it is just blatantly hazardous (more on that below). IE I consider it insane that some re-loaders by bulk surplus powder and "play with it" until they get a good load. If I don't know exactly what it is I won't use it. Several years ago a nice lady gave me some reloading components her late husband had had. Of the seven containers of powder three were unopened with a good seal. The other four I taped shut and labeled "unknown do not use" until I could (again) properly dispose of them. The man was the best re-loader I have ever known, but I didn't know the history of those old cans so I didn't use them. Overzealous? Maybe. But so far *knock on wood* I have never hurt myself or anybody else, and good Lord willing I won't ever do so.

On the flip side I have been on the range with people who eyeballed a powder they weren't certain of, or who thought you could just scoop a case full of any old powder and load it up because they were "experts" and had done it that way for "years". I have had to call an ambulance TWICE because somebody who I didn't know and had never met detonated a gun with this kind of stupidity, and I can't tell you the number of people I have met who have ruined a good gun but luckily didn't get hurt doing the same kind of thing OR were using somebody else's reloads they got or bought for "cheap" at a garage sale or auction. The very first time this ever happened to me I was at a range when a new "cowboy" shooter walked up to the open bench firing line with a brand new 45 longcolt clone of unknown origin. He hung his target on the 15 yard line during the cease fire, and observed safe handling procedures during the same. When "range is hot" was called he put on his muffs, loaded five rounds in the pistol, cocked the hammer and promptly detonated the pistol not three feet from my left side. The top chamber on the cylinder, and the top strap for the gun were never found, and there were holes in the tin roof over his head (not to mention several nice little cuts on his forehead and my left jaw). On his way to the range that morning he had stopped off at his brother-in-laws house and snagged a box of 45 longcolts loaded with 300 grain XTP Mag rounds loaded hot for handgun hunting in his brother-in-laws ruger blackhawk. The next week they shut the range down and built dividers between the benches. I got a free pass to the range when honestly what I needed was a new pair of shorts.....

The whole point is that I agree it is kinda crazy that he didn't believe you could return a known powder back to it's original container safely, and unfortunately there are those who have the opposite problem and don't see and issue with mixing and matching whatever. You can never be certain if a "expert" or "guru" is actually as stupid as they appear, or if they are just really really pitiful at explaining their process, but one thing is for certain. When you run across one like that the best thing to do is smile, nod, and walk the heck away. I'm glad that you are taking the time to show the other guy a good safe method of reloading, just goes to show what good quality people this board has.

My 3 cents, but then again I am a rank amateur and I know it.

GoodOlBoy

Very well said, wish I could be so gracious when I see people do stupid things, no slight intended. It's just that the older I get the less tolerance I have for Ignorance.

Boolit Grand Master

Well, guess this is why I keep reading! Learn something new every time I open this forum. Not necessarily useful but interesting!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    I have SEEN this guy at the range since our first encounter. He warned a few of the "regulars" to watch out when I am around, as MY loading habits are a bit OFF! Some of these guys have learned from me, and told me of the warning. A fellow in another club is going to run a reloading course in the fall. I intend to see this guy attend OR make a PUBLIC apology to me. HIS ideas do not cause ME any harm, but his comments MAY!

Boolit Master

No wonder there's a powder shortage.
    Nothing to add, I liked what Tim said so I just reposted it as a quote
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Mold
    I batch load.
    I load one caliber at a time, using one powder at a time.
    I only have one container of powder out at any given time.
    As my loading has all been with Red Dot lately, I can look at the power and tell what it is, by the red dots that are in Red Dot powder.

I started using RD as a BE sub, out of necessity.
    RD is everywhere, BE is not.
    RD works well as a nearly grain-for-grain BE sub (depending on boolit weight, cartridge, and whoever wrote whichever reloading manual you consult).
    Being able to visually identify it is just a nice side benefit.

As to the fellow in the OP, I just shrug my shoulders.
    I know people who cling to the belief thT leaving a magazine loaded will kill the spring and that NO gun should EVER be dry-fired.
    Try to explain reality to them and they get downright hostile.
    I quit trying to help idiots many years ago.

Boolit Buddy
    It's in the book:

Attachment 112381

Jim

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123