RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Bfr 45/410

Boolit Master

Bfr 45/410

I bought one of these, the reason being is to shoot .410's around the house and barn and woodchucks and squirrels, expensive toy, but it will fit in the Gator when I'm out and about much better than a shotgun, I have to use shot around the house even though I'm in a rural area there are just too many houses nearby to be comfortable with even a 22, with that said after inspecting and taking some measurements it does have a 454 length chamber, however the throats are crazy large, at .465, anyway, I was thinking of shooting some 45's out of it just to see if it would group and not pattern.
    My concern is this, with that big of a throat should I even attempt shooting full bore Ruger .45's, my fear is having such a huge and long throat slow powders may not ignite fully, then when the boolit slams into the forcing cone a possible second ignition may take place.
    Then you know the rest of the story.
    Common sense is telling me maybe some Unique loads only, no 2400, H110, 296, Lil Gun, etc.
    I would like some feedback please.

Boolit Master
    I shot full house 45's through my T/C Contender 410 barrel and was no problem other than the 5" group, er pattern @ 25 yards. It was quickly designated as shotgun only.

Banner Sponsor

I have tried 454 loads in mine and was suprised to get 2-2.5" groups at 50yds. I had a few groups with 3 shots touching, so it seemed like it wanted to shoot well if I found the right combination... That was with a 340LFN and a case full of WC820.
    I tried some 250 XTPs and they shot reasonably well also.
    I may send mine back and get a 460 cylinder for it. Mine has the 5.5" bbl, the 16" twist and was d/t for the scope mount.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the insight having a new cylinder made for the 460 might be the ticket I have the 7.5" barrel with the removable tube