RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Old files

Boolit Grand Master

Old files

I've got some old files that don't cut as well as they used to.
    They are not rusted, dirty or clogged. Just old and worn.
    A while ago, a friend told me that soaking dull files in Muriatic acid will make them sharp again.
    Anyone know anything about this????

I've done the Muriatic, they don't seem to cut as smooth nor a well as new... but gives them a second shot at life- mostly for the courser files, the fine ones are just worn out. I swear, too, by plain ol' Evaporust for the rusty ones, won't etch the metal and cleans them up nicely.

Bonus... but you probably know this... chalk up a file with regular blackboard chalk before you file aluminum- makes the file much easier to clean.
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Boolit Master
    it works some times. when a file is called dulled they are just dirty the acid cleans them out giving them a new lease on life. now if they have been dragged backwards on the steel then all bets are off. if you can not et them to work again. then heat them in a forge till a magnet will not stick let them cool then work them into a nice knife and heat treat them. they make great knives.

"Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Years ago I worked as a silversmith.

Everyone gladly gave me their junk files.

Heated red hot and allowed to cool down in a can of sand made them dead soft.

I made many specialty stamps costing only my time.

When The stamp was just what I wanted that was the time to re harden it.

PS

They also make great knife blades.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    That is very interesting. I have several worn out files I need to try that on. Thanks!!

I have used Muratic acid for rust removal a few times, it seems that any oil on the metal will interfere with the process, degrease before hand.
    I would add that the fumes, odor is quite strong, requires very good ventilation.
    Last edited by s mac; 06-22-2014 at 08:56 AM.

Boolit Master

I have a bead blaster and use very fine sand as the abrasive. It cleans files rather well and restored some sibilance of usefulness. Not to new specs but better than before the cleaning.
    Last edited by Cactus Farmer; 06-24-2014 at 06:00 PM.
    Lewis AKA Wright Brothers Gunsmiths

"Illegitimus non carborundum"

Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t*rd by the clean end!

Boolit Master

My old files become brand new knives and scrapers when they don't cut well anymore.

Boolit Master

My memory is not great but I read somewhere in the past couple of years there is a place to send files for sharpening and the cost was reasonable. Found it! http://www.boggstool.com/page5.html
    You can put a lot of files in a flat rate box.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeym1a View Post
    Thanks!!
    You're welcome.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

In Remembrance
    ( ... semblance ... )
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    The process works much better with sulfuric (H2SO4) acid, not muriatic/hydrochloric (HCl) acid. Sulfuric is good old battery acid. Muriatic is pool acid.

I have actually found the best sharpening method is to toss the old file in the garbage and buy an new one! (I don't make knives!) Buy Nicholson or similar quality brand. NO Harbor Freight! You will get very little extra mileage out of an acid "sharpened " file. Uneven, jagged, rough surfaces on your work.

And remember NEVER drag a file back across the work!!!!!! Smooth clean forward strokes only. And clean it every 4 strokes with a file card (best!) or clean rag. I have many files that are 30+ years old and still cut like brand new.....because I treat them like a good tool. I store each in a plastic tube and never pile them in a drawer!

bangerjim

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Another vote for Boggs Tool Sharpening. They come back sharp enough to cut yourself. My rasps cost around $60 each, so I don't just toss them.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Never had any luck making knives out of old files. Couldn't get the heat treatment right. I have made scrapers out of them and they work just fine. I did make a draw knife out of an old file, and it works great. Haven't had to re-sharpen it since I made it 40 yrs ago.

Boolit Grand Master

I worked as for 35 years in the tool and die trade. I had files my grandfather made in his apprenticeship that out cut any others. These files were made in the 40s or so. One thhing most dont realize is a used file thats been taken care of and used correctly will cut smoother and a better finish than a new one will. My grand father used those files My Dad and I and Im hoping to pass them on to my son and or grandson. A file is a precisson tool in the right hands and should last a long time

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I worked as for 35 years in the tool and die trade. I had files my grandfather made in his apprenticeship that out cut any others. These files were made in the 40s or so. One thhing most dont realize is a used file thats been taken care of and used correctly will cut smoother and a better finish than a new one will. My grand father used those files My Dad and I and Im hoping to pass them on to my son and or grandson. A file is a precisson tool in the right hands and should last a long time
    AMEN!

bangerjim - tool collector and preservation fanatic

Boolit Master
    country gent and bangerjim have it right. The right file for the right job. Chalk them to keep down the pinning. Store properly to keep them from touching each other. Nicholson and Grobet are about the best. I think Sandvik and Disston produce or used to produce good files.

Mill bastard and long-angle lathe file is what gets used the most in my shop. Pillar, jeweler's and riffler files on occasion.

Unless you're just trying to restore an old rusty keepsake, I don't think an acid bath will produce the desired result.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789