RepackboxWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: GC for 57 mag

GC for 57 mag

I'm wanting to get a lee C358-157 SWC gas checked mould. I have never used gas checks before and I hope to get some advice. Do you add them to the base of the bullet before you run them through the Lee sizer ? I'm using straight WW's. I'd like to step up the velocity a little to shoot through my 3" SP101. Also, what would be the proper size check? Sorry if this has been asked before. Thanks Nixpap
    The highest patriotism is not a blind acceptance of official policy, but a love of one's country deep enough to call her to a higher plain.

Banned

the GC's you will need are 35 caliber or 358 cal.

Yes apply them to the base of the bullet then run them through the sizer, they will "crimp" on and stay there for sure.

The only thing I can add is that I would crimp on gas checks before you lube.

If the sizer is close to the cast bullet size really all your going to do is size the gas check down to the same size, securing it to the bullet. My .311 lee sizer for my 7.62's just barely makes a shiny spot on the drive bands.

Thanks for the replies Blammer and GhostHawk. In addition, i have been using lla for a lube at normal velocities. Do you suggest I go to my pan lube if I crank it up a little. Also , do you recommend i water drop my straight WW's for additional hardness? thanks again, Nixpap
    The highest patriotism is not a blind acceptance of official policy, but a love of one's country deep enough to call her to a higher plain.

Boolit Master

I use that exact bullet.
    When I use the Lee sizing die. I put the check on carefully then run it into the sizing die base first.
    Tumble them after sizing and seating.

I prefer to size and lube these with the Lyman 4500 but either works fine.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

My $.02:

I've done this with two different types of lube but both times I lubed, then applied GC before running the boolits through the Lee sizing die. This was with the Lee 44 cal 300fpgc. First time I tumble lubed with LLA, then second was a pan lube I made up. The first time I re-tumbled the checked boolit as most of the lube rubbed off during sizing. My only gripe with pan lubing was that a lube ring formed on the base of the sizer die as I pushed them through.

Banned

if you GC before you lube use some sort of slippery stuff to get the bullet through the sizer, a naked bullet will be VERY difficult to size.

you could water drop but I don't find/think it to be necessary.

if the LLA does not work then yes, try something else.

for me I have never gotten LLA to work well, others have, just not me, I can't figure it out.

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    Are you going to get enough velocity from a 3" revolver to need a check? I admit that I use them and like them but I shoot my 357s in a 6" revolver and a lever gun too so the velocities in the rifle get a bit too high for plain base.