Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: JR3 capacity

Banned

JR3 capacity

I picked up a RCBS JR3 and turned around and sold it at cost to a friend that is just getting into reloading. He asked if it could handle a 7mm Remington Mag cartridge and I honestly didn't know? Does anyone know if the clearance and stroke of a JR3 is large enough to handle a 7mm Rem mag?

Should be ok. I have never loaded 7 mag in my presses, but have a JR3 and have loaded 300 H&H in them before. Not out at the shop to check OAL on both, but my memory as weak as it is says the 300 is considerably longer than the seven.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does,he needs it very badly!" Sir Winston Churchill

Boolit Grand Master
    The JR3 will work fine for reloading any of the '06 length short mags, case forming not so much.

Robert

Banned
    Thanks, I told him I wasn't sure and that I would buy it back if it didn't work for him. He's not case forming, just reloading.

Banned
    Looks like COL for 300 H&H is 3.6" and for the 7mm Rem. Mag 3.29", so he should be good to go. Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master

Don't believe it! I made 8mm-06 out of 30-06 brass with my Jr3. Easy case forming with good lube it can do. I have also necked 45-70 to 40-70 on mine.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

A JR3 will handle most case reforming for most reloaders but extreme reforming is a little more difficult unless you put an extension on short handle to provide a little bit more leverage or make the reform in several stages. I make 6.5 Jap cases out of 220 Swift cases in 3 stages just to make the cases easier. 8mm-06 is just a neck up from 30-06. one pass through the press for me.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    I loaded .300 H&H and .375 H&H with no trouble in my Junior press. Don't know the suffix no. but I bought it in 1963. After zillions loaded by 1988 I wrote RCBS and asked if a wobbly ram hurt. Their answer was that it was just getting broken in, and they sent me a new RS 3 gratis! I gave the old Junior to a friend who used it until he passed on in 2012. Forty-nine years of high volume loading..RCBS builds them to last. The RS 3? It is tight as new and will probably see me through until I drop in on Jack and Elmer.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon