Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Boolit weight

Boolit weight

My boolits are weighing from 411-413 grains from my Lee 405gr HB die is this normal my mix is 1:20.

I'm gonna just throw this out there but it's my understanding that the molds are designed basically using Lyman #2 alloy which has a lower lead content than your 1:20 alloy. Less lead equals less weight. Since your alloy is 95% lead (+/-?) instead of 90% I'd expect the weights to be slightly higher than stated on the mold, especially with a heavy boolit like a 405.

Banned

I don't think I have ever seen a mold throw a boolit that weighed less than it was designated on the box.
    no problems, your gonna work your loads up in your rifle with your components. [shrug]
    if your worried about the weight spread do the math and see what the actual percentage the spread is.
    I doubt you'll notice 0.25% difference.

Boolit Grand Master

I haven't seen what Lee uses as a "standard" alloy for their mold spec. Different alloys, different mold temps., different melt temps. will result in different weight and diameter...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    I don't think I have ever seen a mold throw a boolit that weighed less than it was designated on the box.
    no problems, your gonna work your loads up in your rifle with your components. [shrug]
    if your worried about the weight spread do the math and see what the actual percentage the spread is.
    I doubt you'll notice 0.25% difference.
    All of my molds drop somewhat heavier than the mold indicates except my Lee TL-230-5R for 300 BLK. It drops about 225. All cast with COWW +1% tin

Boolit Mold
    I have a Lee C112-185-1R that Instead of throwing .112 boolits at 185 grains it throws .114 boolits at 186 grains using wheel weights. Its not such a big deal for me though, the weight is fine and I was actually thinking of upgrading to a .114 mould. I lucked out.
    My only fear of death is my wife will sell my firearms and casting equipment for what I told her I paid for it....

From the coasts of BC and Newfoundland Labrador, to the smallest crevasse in the hills of Afghanistan. Support your Canadian Troops!

Boolit Master
    Once I get the mold broke in, heated, etc, I never see them fluctuate more than 1%, usually it's about half that or less.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

Sapper I would consider it a double win to have that mold. The weight is dead on and the size is perfect!