Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need information on vintage bullet forming dies and press

Boolit Mold

Need information on vintage bullet forming dies and press

I have a vintage bullet forming die set made by Biehler and Astles. I think it is for .224 bullets and it comes with a jacket forming die for use with spent .22 lr cases. I would appreciate any info on using these dies. I will post pictures if there is interest in these dies. I also have the original instruction sheet but seems like "greek" to me. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Banned

welcome to the forum.
    a picture would definitely help you get the advice needed to either get you started or to get the rest of the tools you need to use what you have.

Boolit Mold
    Attachment 108219Attachment 108220I hope these pictures help.

Moderator Emeritus

I can't see the attachments.

I'd be interested in more information and pics as well. I picked up an incomplete set last year and I've been working on finding the missing bits.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

Super cool.
    That set looks like it uses a different punch holder than my press/ram setup has. Looks like a lot of extra dies. Are the different inserts on the right hand picture marked with different profiles? I think they should be stamped on the bottom face.

Theodore Roosevelt

Banned

that's a set up for the pacific press.
    you had to change out the rams to use the different punches..

Boolit Mold
    all seem to be flat faced except for one that looks like it is for a pointed bullet. Two have a slightly radius rounded surface. I do not know what to do with this stuff. If it is worth anything, I would like to sell it or trade it.

I'd be interested. I have a nearly complete set and would love to have a useable set.

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Buddy
    I too have a nearly complete set and would love to purchase that which I lack. Thanks, Dan

Boolit Mold
    perhaps we can negotiate a trade of some kind so no one will feel bad if they don't get it.

I've got a bunch of stuff to trade. I have a post in the swapping and selling. I'll get you a list asap. I'm on my phone right now.

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    The big one on the upper left with the T handle in your first picture looks like a Rock Chuck Bullet Swage die. The smooth cylindrical top should unscrew from the threaded bottom using the T handle with a half turn. The top will have the point former and the bottom the cylindrical section of the die. Look for a small "RCBS" marking. Sometimes the patent date and even the caliber were marked. There should be a streak of red enamel along the threads so the two pieces can be screwed together the same way each time. The rest of the stuff in the picture might be some extras from RCBS or might have been made elsewhere; hard to tell at that magnification.

The second picture looks more like B&A dies and their accessories.

Wow, whatta haul!

I agree about the die in upper left being a rcbs - rockchucker

Boolit Master
    Mod. Do the rules of swapping and selling not apply here? Not to be a rude. I am more than sure "Newer members must be here 30 days and have 25 relevant posts (+1 and me too don't count)". This thread should be deleted if it is for selling purposes.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Mold
    I guess I didn't read the fine print in the rules. I will not offer to sell or trade these tools on this site. I will just ask how the tools are to be used. I am interested in how they can be used to make .224 bullets as the previous owner shot some very tight groups in the 1950's. I have his rifle and it still shoots outstanding groups. It is a .224 Pfiefer based on a Krag case. Any info on this case would be greatly appreciated also.

The tool in the right picture is indeed an RCBS tool marked in red on both sections. Inside the T handle is marked 25. The cavity looks like a bullet shape. Can I assume that it is for forming .25 bullets?

Banned

joe you are correct in the number of day's and posts to sell here.
    the purpose of this is so that the other members can gauge the seller/swapper a little bit.

Boolit Master

B&A swaging dies are top of the line and well respected

Mike

some readings

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...A-dies-on-ebay

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?...waging-bullets

Last edited by skeettx; 06-23-2014 at 01:44 PM.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Witsgarand,

Yes, it is likely your Rock Chuck Bullet Swage is for .25 caliber. Check for "RCBS" markings on the other tools in your photo. RCBS eventually offered .22 rimfire jacket ironing dies, core swaging and core seating dies to customers as the swaging process got better understood and the groups at benchrest matches started tightening up as a result. Bullets made in RCBS dies held records for several years.

Bullets could be made with the two piece RCBS die set which were good enough for varmint shooting (Fred Huntington named the Swage and his Company after his favorite quarry, the Western Rock Chuck) by cutting off a piece of lead wire, putting it into the jacket, and swaging it in the die set in one operation. A punch of the proper length was put in the ram, the core and jacket inserted in the bottom of the die, and the lever raised to see how far the assembly was pushed into the die. By screwing the die deeper into the top of the press, eventually the point would form. Then a slightly longer punch was put on the ram, the top of the die removed and the bullet pressed upwards out of the die. Bullets could then be made at that die setting until the jackets and cores (or the operator) were exhausted.

For the finest accuracy, separate operations for ensuring the same weight of cores and the full contact of the interior of the jacket with the core was needed. As I mentioned, RCBS started offering these dies as accessories. Biehler and Astles swept the field a few years later with their die sets, which used the "expand-up" principle. Here, the core was swaged a few thousandths smaller than the jacket in its own die. This bled a little lead away under pressure, ensuring a repeatable volume, to eliminate voids. The core was then swaged into the jacket in a second die, a core seating die. This die was slightly larger than the jacket, to ensure the jacket would spring back after the pressure was released and grip the lead core tightly. Finally the point former was made to expand the filled jacket as it brought the bullet fully up to size. This ensured a very close repeatability in weight, with no voids in the core or looseness between core and jacket. Dies using the B&A principle are still state of the art today.

Most swaging dies of the period were made for Pacific presses, which was the most common one around then. However, Huntington invented his type A, O-frame compound leverage press especially to use his swage dies and secondarily to reload ammunition. He typically offered supplemental rams without the cutout for priming arms to fit the customer's press, or his press. If you can figure out what press your set fits, you should be able to figure out which pieces do what.

I have a few pictures of my own set on the Bullet Swaging section of the Antique Reloading Tool Collectors' Forum.

According to Landis, the .224-30-40 Pfeifer Rimmed Magnum was a shortened and necked down .30-40 Krag case that held around 30 grains of 3031, 4320 or 4064 and bullets of 50 to 55 or 60 grains weight, with charges reduced accordingly as bullet weight increased. Rifling twist could be 14" or 16", and either worked well. At the time of writing (1947) Joe Pfeifer had made over 600 rifles up for this wildcat using .30-40 or .303 British brass and nary a complaint had come back. They were mostly made on single shot actions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast