Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 38 or 357 snub nose for carry and boolits

Boolit Man
    the .38 is just wussy loaded in the USA. You can go ahead and use +P+ 9mm in the revolver without a worry. For a snubby, I'd use the 100 gr corbon, it's 1300 fps and 400 ft lbs, and it will actually expand in animals, while the .38 snub lhp and jhp loads will not. Flesh and blood being flesh and blood, I have a low opinion of them (and snubbie revolvers in general) as defensive tools, if you have to actually hit somebody with a bullet. for bluffing and missing, they do just fine.

Boolit Master

Compared to a combat shotgun or an AR, a snubbie is a poor defensive tool. Compared to being 60 years old and partially handicapped, a snubbie in ANY caliber is infinitely better than going hand-to-hand with a 20 year old meth head. Some people like revolvers, some like semiautos. Both have their good and bad points. I have decided a that a hammerless 5 shot .38 Special J frame is the simplest and most reliable concealed carry weapon I can handle under most circumstances. I carry either 135 gr Speer HP or my own 160 gr soft lead HPs, neither of which are hyper-velocity rounds.

I'm not sure about how long an airweight J frame would hold up to a steady diet of 1300 fps loads but I'm pretty sure an SP101 would.

In the winter I carry a hammerless 5 shot .44 Special L frame airweight loaded with 240 gr SWCs at moderate (800-900 fps) velocity. I'm pretty sure for a revolver it will stop at least as well as a supersonic 9mm anything.

These are my choices. Others may decide differently and that's fine. We're all welcome to our opinions.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by happie2shoot View Post
    I am pretty picky about the 357, I have 18 of them with barrels
    from 2 1/4'' to 20'', all SS and all but 1 Rugers.

I had a revolver gunsmith class from Ron Powers in 1988 and learned
    the weak points from the different guns, or strong points, that's why
    I like Rugers.

Remember the Speer reloading manuals that listed the pressure that
    the different rounds could operate at, all the weak guns now made
    have made manufactures gun shy to load to the full potential.

Measure the outside wall thickness on some of the 5 shot guns,
    the smith is .050 and the sp101 is .060 and look at the frame
    under the barrel on the sp101 then the smith, they have fine
    threads to deal with how thin is there.

There is more and once you learn the difference you will see why
    Rugers kick but.

The sp101 will out last the other 5 shot not to mention take higher
    pressure loads, kinda like their BH 45 will.
    There's no doubt in my mind that the SP101 is a strong gun and I've owned my share of them. I currently have a 38 Spl. DAO version of the SP101 and it is the one that I'll keep. The SP101 is more than strong enough to handle .357 mags, I just don't care to shoot them out of snub nose revolvers.
    For me, the airweight, internal hammer DAO 38 Special J-frames are better suited for pocket carry. I think I'm in the same camp as the Professor (or is it The Perfessor? ) It's a big tool box and everyone picks the tool they think is best for them.

Boolit Master
    You mean we have to pick just one??? Pleeease don't make me! I mean, there's a reason I carry at least two, and sometimes 3 guns, plus a couple knives, plus... And I know I'm not alone here.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Buddy
    I've carried a J-frame for personal protection since the late 1960s and still rely on one for daily carry. I load mid-power, cast WCs or SWCs for practice and shoot a couple of cylinders of full power from time to time to ensure I'm familiar with the added recoil. I still have and shoot the first J-frame I ever owned that is now 49 years old. It is as tight as new, because it has been used a lot but never abused. I have no worries shooting the occasional +P loads through it; I just do not shoot them regularly. I now prefer the SS 640 to my original M-36 to facilitate pocket or IWB holster carry. But I shoot both, DA, at 7 to 15 or 20 yards and have no problem grouping on a paper plate. I have nothing bad to say about the Rugers discussed earlier except that they are generally larger and heavier than I personally want to carry daily. Just my thoughts for the Glorious 4th of July. Keep Shooting, Ed

Carried a Colt Cobra for 30+ years. Recently swapped to a Ruger LCR after gifting my wife with one. Bought another for myself. Nothing sharp or snaggy, lighter than the Colt. +P rated. Don't draw blood from the Colt hammer reaching for my back pocket. Good stuff.

Banned
    EdS - I totally agree, the J-frame Smiths are a lot stronger than most folks will admit. They're not in the same league as the SP101's (which my New England friends would label as "wicked strong" ) but they're not fragile either. The airweights are not rated for +P but they will certainly safely handle a few from time to time. I shoot snubnose revolvers in DA only and have no problems getting hits. I think the DAO, internal hammer J-frame is a sound concept.

Airman Basic - I've got to give you a big thumbs up as well. 30 years with a Colt Cobra ! I would guess that you were more than just a little familiar with that tool. Those D-frame short barreled Colts were just between the J-frame Smiths and K-frame Smiths in terms of size. Did you ever see one with the hammer shroud? Colt had this little part that could be screwed to the frame that converted the gun to a semi-shrouded hammer like a S&W bodyguard Mdl 49. Some people liked them and some thought they were trouble.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bannor View Post
    the .38 is just wussy loaded in the USA. You can go ahead and use +P+ 9mm in the revolver without a worry. For a snubby, I'd use the 100 gr corbon, it's 1300 fps and 400 ft lbs, and it will actually expand in animals, while the .38 snub lhp and jhp loads will not. Flesh and blood being flesh and blood, I have a low opinion of them (and snubbie revolvers in general) as defensive tools, if you have to actually hit somebody with a bullet. for bluffing and missing, they do just fine.
    Hmmm.......ok.
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master
    Bought a three inch 36 in the early seventies. Have shoot five ofunique and several 158 bullets for thousands of round. Still tight, still shooting it

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Airman Basic View Post
    Carried a Colt Cobra for 30+ years. Recently swapped to a Ruger LCR after gifting my wife with one. Bought another for myself. Nothing sharp or snaggy, lighter than the Colt. +P rated. Don't draw blood from the Colt hammer reaching for my back pocket. Good stuff.
    That is awesome! I doubt most guys have owned guns longer than you have owned that one!
    After rebuilding my "arsenal" after the divorce, I have only a few and shoot them all. But still focus on two, a S&W 642 and GP100.
    The 642 disappears in my pocket. The GP keeps me fresh for work. Boring? Yep but I know I can use them.
    Jerry
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Quote Originally Posted by bannor View Post
    Actually, everyone should have a snubnose, they come in a wide choice of weights from many manufacturers. I think a 38 special LCR with a 148 wadcutter or the old FBI load is tough to beat. Both can be handloaded for those that are inclined to do so. Revolvers keep on shooting after a lightweight bottom feeder jams.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT
    http://357shooter.blogspot.com/

Boolit Man
    I use to live on a ranch here in Idaho full time, I still live here a lot,
    and the gun I carried was a 3 1/16'' sp with one shot load first up
    second a 158 cast at 1000fps and the last 3 187fng/c LBT at 1300fps.

That gun would shot the 187 in 4'' at 50yds standing no rest.

One winter a mt lion killed a elk in our 2.5 mile long driveway, there
    is bears and wolf too.

My wife carried an sp too, our boy was 3 years old then and I
    told her to always have that gun on her to protect them.

We still have 4 of them and when the new one, a 4.2'' gets proven,
    that may be the hiking gun.

Forgive me Lord for if I get the g27 proven I may carry it, 183 cast
    at 1200 will work too, it shoots that load accurate with a 4.060'' LW
    barrel, I just need to prove it with about 200 rds.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by theperfessor View Post
    Compared to a combat shotgun or an AR, a snubbie is a poor defensive tool. Compared to being 60 years old and partially handicapped, a snubbie in ANY caliber is infinitely better than going hand-to-hand with a 20 year old meth head. Some people like revolvers, some like semiautos. Both have their good and bad points. I have decided a that a hammerless 5 shot .38 Special J frame is the simplest and most reliable concealed carry weapon I can handle under most circumstances. I carry either 135 gr Speer HP or my own 160 gr soft lead HPs, neither of which are hyper-velocity rounds.

I'm not sure about how long an airweight J frame would hold up to a steady diet of 1300 fps loads but I'm pretty sure an SP101 would.

In the winter I carry a hammerless 5 shot .44 Special L frame airweight loaded with 240 gr SWCs at moderate (800-900 fps) velocity. I'm pretty sure for a revolver it will stop at least as well as a supersonic 9mm anything.

These are my choices. Others may decide differently and that's fine. We're all welcome to our opinions.
    Couldn't agree more. My grandfather had a lemon squeezer he use to carry around and I only wish I could have got it. Even though I was the closest to him, I refused to take something that wasn't given to me and all his guns just got taken by the rest if the family.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Groo here
    Unless you just "want" to, I would never get a specific size gun in a shorter shell if the longer one is made.
    All I need is to go out the house with a 38 and have 357s in the speed strip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The only 38 we have is dads airweight.
    Everything else is 357--- M60pro,SP101,smith k,l and n frames , GP100 , Pythons,,,etc.
    I know that some can't shoot 357s in a snub,and some don't want to. but much of the " flash,bang,kick" problems
    are due to lack of training , experience, Fear, Shortcircuit between the headphones,etc.
    I carry Sp101,M60pro[full up 357 125gr],or Robaugh R9s [9mm].
    The Robaugh is the harder of the 3 to shoot as it is so light and the grip is metal.
    The revolvers have rubber grips that fit and have a little give.
    Trying to have grips that "hide" is not really a good thing unless they " FIT".
    If they don't fit , you don't shoot well, if you miss you might hit a "good guy--BAD".
    The revolvers are good to at least 25yds, and with Mags would take a deer if needed.
    The robaugh , although accurate , is really a 7 to 10 yd gun.
    Think of what you will do with it, and choose .........

Banned
    Groo, I can't throw stones at your logic. That's sound thinking. You're correct that .357 magnum is not "backwards compatible" with the 38 Special and could pose a problem if you had long cartridges and short chambers. In my 44 magnum I opted to go to all magnum length brass to simplify my logistics; but that's hardly a pocket gun!

I opted to alter my thinking for my 38/357 loads and made the 38 Special my standard cartridge and only use magnum brass when I very specifically want to shoot magnum loads. I have far more 38 Special guns than .357 magnums, so that works out well for me. I can shoot .357 magnums just fine, I just don't care to shoot magnums out of short barrels. I know the muzzle energy of a .357 mag is far better than a 38spl., even from a short barrel, I just prefer the little 38's for concealment. I have better tools available when a bigger gun is practical.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123