Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 50-90 sharps

Boolit Mold

50-90 sharps

Recently acquired a Win 1885 in 50-90 Sharps.
    Literature states blackpowder loads only.
    I am sure it is strong enough for smokeless.
    Is the rifling twist unsuitable for smokeless loads/accuracy?
    Anyone with experience with either the 50-90 or Win 1885 in 50-90 , would love to hear your experiences with either.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by minitjob View Post
    Recently acquired a Win 1885 in 50-90 Sharps.
    Literature states blackpowder loads only.
    I am sure it is strong enough for smokeless.
    What published load do you want to try in it, and which manual did it come from?
    With those particulars, somebody can probably predict the performance you can expect.
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    I've been shooting the 50-90 S in a Pedersoli 1874 with bullets from 390 to 600 grains. With the lighter bullet my charges of 5744 go up to the low 30's of grains weight, up to 105 grains ffg Goex with the 600. The gun has an 18" twist and shoots well at 100 yards. The red cover AA reloading manual also shows smokeless loads. The barrel shank threads (I think) are 15/16-16 so there is not much room for error in smokeless loads. BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Master
    I have a 50-90 on order with Shiloh , that should be here in the early summer of 2008 .

I had never really considered shooting smokeless in this rifle .

I did however just recently acquire a pair of moulds for use in the 50-90 .
    Got a RCBS 50-450FN and a RCBS 50-515FN . Both are NIB or LNIB for the great cost of $86 shipping included

These moulds normally sell for about $115 EACH
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

In Remembrance
    Accurate Arms sent this to a shooter over on the Shiloh forum to help him develop a load for his .45/110. It should apply to any low-pressure straight-case cartridge.

Method for calculating/determining a charge for loading with Accurate 5744 powder for RIFLE calibers at reduced levels:
    We have a very simple method to determine a reduced load on any calibre using 5744 powder.
    Determine the maximum charge per volume, by filling the case to the base of the seated bullet.
    Multiply that value by x 0.40 (40%)
    That will be a good safe, reduced load that will produce velocities of between 40 and 50% of a full power load.
    One can then load up to 48% for maximum lead bullet loads.
    If you want to obtain the maximum possible velocity and pressure with jacketed bullets, it would be between 60 and 65% of full case capacity.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Buddy

I have been shootin 5744 in a 50-90 and 45-90 for quiet a while. It works good in my barrels. Usually shoot them at a little better than original velocities. Just my 2 cents worth.

I have a Ped 50/90 "Boss Gun" in 50/90. The barrel twist is 1 in 26", and will stabilise a Paul Jones 650gn Creedmoor bullet pushed by 105gn FG.

Not sure whether smokeless is appropiate as that big case would hold a lot of powder and you would need to achieve a high loading density to avoid ringing the chamber.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Buddy

Try XMP 5744, it works good in my 50-90, 45-70 encore barrels.

Boolit Buddy
    The Third edition of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook has a number of loads listed for the .50/90 Sharps, fired from a Shiloh Sharps Sporter. The data shows a 1-36" twist in the test rifle, 30" bbl. They show safe loads with bullet weights from 334-498 gns. using a variety of smokeless powders inc. SR4759, IMR-4227,4198 and 3031. All smokeless loads listed include the use of a Dacron over-powder wad.
    Hope this helps ....

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido4198 View Post
    The Third edition of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook has a number of loads listed for the .50/90 Sharps, fired from a Shiloh Sharps Sporter. The data shows a 1-36" twist in the test rifle, 30" bbl. They show safe loads with bullet weights from 334-498 gns. using a variety of smokeless powders inc. SR4759, IMR-4227,4198 and 3031. All smokeless loads listed include the use of a Dacron over-powder wad.
    Hope this helps ....
    "All smokeless loads listed include the use of a Dacron over-powder wad. "

You are begging to ring the chamber. When the cases quit extracting you will know why.

This cartridge is a BP only deal.

Boolit Buddy
    BP only dittos..

Ringed chamber guarnanteed.....smokeless / dacron filler data

It's a BP caliber.......

GTC