WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Electric Smoker

Moderator Emeritus

Therer are several commercial versions on the market for different grills and smokers. I had one for my Klose that worked well, I just wasn't a fan of charcoal.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    This is a GREAT idea MaryB!!! We need to talk!!

Shiloh

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jailer View Post
    Nothing wrong with an electric smoker, they have their place. They are especially good at low smoking temps for things like bacon, back bacon, jerky and cheese. I use my PID to control mine.

TXgunut check out a smoke generator if you don't want to mess with constantly adding chips. Works on the same principle as the charcoal maze maryB posted. Used in conjunction with a PID it makes a smoke effortless.

http://www.amazenproducts.com/Produc...tCode=AMNPS5X8
    Thanks for the link. Looks like I just replace the existing tray with this thing. Looks like Mary's charcoal maze. Was thinking the dust and pellets were a bit expensive but then remembered what I pay for the chips I'm buying. Would come in handy for an all-night turkey session. OTOH I'm not sure I really need smoke after the first few hours.
    Thermostat on my smoker seems to work quite well, haven't even bothered to use the probe yet. May buy/build a PID for my pot someday but smoker's doing just fine.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Pulled Pork

My education continues, ya'll have talked me into doing pulled pork this weekend. Picked up a 5# pork butt tonight, thinking a good rub and 5-6 hours @ 225 degrees.
    Have some chicken quarters to add after hour two.
    Sound right?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Moderator Emeritus

I picked up an 8 pound butt for the 4th of July. Will have a few friends over for a simple meal, pulled pork, beans, slaw

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    My education continues, ya'll have talked me into doing pulled pork this weekend. Picked up a 5# pork butt tonight, thinking a good rub and 5-6 hours @ 225 degrees.
    Have some chicken quarters to add after hour two.
    Sound right?
    Skip the time measure of cooking. Cook it to an IT of 205 foil it and then give it about an hour rest in a well insulated cooler with a few towels or blankets tossed in to take up the free space.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I picked up an 8 pound butt for the 4th of July. Will have a few friends over for a simple meal, pulled pork, beans, slaw
    That's my goal as well, except I'm taking the whole mess over to my moms. This weekend's project is a trial run.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jailer View Post
    Skip the time measure of cooking. Cook it to an IT of 205 foil it and then give it about an hour rest in a well insulated cooler with a few towels or blankets tossed in to take up the free space.
    That makes sense, does the cooker temp sound right to you? Instructions suggest 200 for most things and that hasn't worked out well.

Moderator Emeritus

I have put 2 equal sized butts on at the same time. My Traeger temps are very even across the grate so cooking temps were identical. One finished 1 1/2 hours before the other. I always foil wrap and toss in a cooler lined with towels. With 2 or more butts in a cooler they can rest for up to 8 hours and will still be steaming hot when they come out.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Really good tips here. I own all 3, but haven't used the charcoal one in a couple (3-4) years. Just easier to Plug-N-Play or turn the valve and push the button.
    Keep the water pan filled, or you end up with meat fibers. I soak my wood chips in water for 10-20 minutes, then drain and throw them in the chip pan. You can never have enough thermometers around. It sure beats food poisoning! Err on the high side of temp. 5-10 even 15 degrees too hot won't really hurt you, as long as you keep the water pan going. Did I say water pan? Err on the low side and you might meet Mr. Food Poisoning. Did I mention food poisoning?
    Boil some water. Put your temperature probe in there, and if it says 212F then you're good to go.
    The above are observations I've learned over the years. I hope they might help ..... Lee
    I have never used the water pan but I usually only do briskets or pork butts. I have cooked for as many as 40 people with requests coming in for bigger and bigger groups. It's getting to the point that I am considering investing in a Fast Eddy by Cookshack.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    That makes sense, does the cooker temp sound right to you? Instructions suggest 200 for most things and that hasn't worked out well.
    I run mine at 225 for a shoulder or butt so yes your temp is good. Anywhere from 225 to 250 will work fine, it doesn't have to be exact.

I have put 2 equal sized butts on at the same time. My Traeger temps are very even across the grate so cooking temps were identical. One finished 1 1/2 hours before the other. I always foil wrap and toss in a cooler lined with towels. With 2 or more butts in a cooler they can rest for up to 8 hours and will still be steaming hot when they come out.
    MaryB's post above is exactly why you cook to temp and not by time.

Moderator Emeritus

Yup when I catered I never told the customer that I could serve at exactly x time, I gave them a 2 hour window and said when the food is ready it is ready. To many variables, outdoor temps, humidity, wind, fuel, how much fat is in the meat all make a difference in how long it takes to cook.

Boolit Master
    I like to smoke beef at 220*, pork at 225*, but I do fowl at 235* - 260* (chicken pieces lower, whole chicken a little higher, 12 lb. turkey 260*) depending on the size of the bird. You need to be careful to get poultry though the 40* to 140* degree internal temp range without too much lingering.

Baby backs are usually done in about 3 hrs.
    Beef ribs take 6 1/2 to 7 hrs.
    Pork butt takes about 9 1/2 hrs.

I'm kind of old school; I use an offset smoker, start my fire with mesquite lump charcoal and when it's going real, real well I throw a 10 - 12 inch long chunk of hickory, apple or pecan in the firebox and plop my meat down on the grate. All fuel added after that is wood.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Moderator Emeritus

When I had my Klose and burned all wood I used oak only. All I could get here in MN. Made some great food with it though!

Boolit Grand Master

Pulled pork class went well, was working on something in the back yard all day so tending the smoker was no biggie. Even went to a lunch meeting (bbq) at the range while it was cooking. Had a little help from my brother and sister grading my homework, straight "A's". They're both accomplished smokers so I'm pretty pleased with that. Used pecan chips and a very good storebought rub.

Moderator Emeritus

Traeger baby back ribs cooked hot at 275

Boolit Master
    Oh come on Mary. Have you mercy? I haven't had baby backs in probably 2 weeks.

smokeywolf
    Last edited by smokeywolf; 07-01-2014 at 04:33 AM.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds good. Keep it simple. Found some fresh tropical fruit salsa at the local Hy-Vee market. That would go well with your pork butts.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master
    When I had my Klose and burned all wood I used oak only. All I could get here in MN. Made some great food with it though!
    I have mesquite, hickory, and cherry. Oak is my wood of choice for smoke.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master

Scored a nice pork butt and even tossed a couple of racks of ribs in the cart while I was in the neighborhood. Here in TX it's a crime to operate a smoker with an empty rack and I'm not taking any chances, suspect enforcement activity will be high. It's only a misdemeanor but no sense in spoiling the mood.

Moderator Emeritus

Besides the butt I will toss on some chicken quarters to pull for sandwiches or tacos.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast