Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Electric Smoker

Boolit Master
    Rack of baby backs and a rack of beef ribs on the smoker right now. Rubbed and marinated, heat and smoke from mesquite lump charcoal and pecan wood. Baste (for pork) is apple cider vinegar, butter, brown sugar, honey, kosher salt and Chinese sauce.

Mrs. smokeywolf keeps asking why my cell phone keeps dinging. It's my reminder that, it's our anniversary in about 5 more minutes.

Here's the baby backs, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20140712-00186.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	110412

smokeywolf
    Last edited by smokeywolf; 07-12-2014 at 07:05 AM.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Something to consider that a lot of people don't - let the meat sit out overnight so it can come to room temp. Putting cold meat from the fridge into a smoker will add hours to the cooking time, takes a long time to warm up the interior temp.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Longer and slower a piece of meat cooks the better the flavor and texture. I can rush it but it is not as good.

That's the basis of smoking and BBQ. There's no need to hurry a big chunk of meat, patience has it's reward. Thanks for the reminder.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    Something to consider that a lot of people don't - let the meat sit out overnight so it can come to room temp. Putting cold meat from the fridge into a smoker will add hours to the cooking time, takes a long time to warm up the interior temp.

I don't think overnight is a good idea for safety's sake but letting it come to room temperature is a good idea for steaks, chops and eggs. If the outside wasn't at room temp for so long I'd be tempted to agree. Bacteria forms on the surface of meat but the smoker should deal with that forthwith. I like the concept but it scares me, rondog. Care to elaborate?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    Ive left it out in the cool basement for many hours, but leave it it for only a couple at room temp.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by reloader28 View Post
    I'm not a fan of Myron Mixon, but we bought his book and tried his brisket recipie a couple of times. With hundreds of championship wins, how can he be wrong?
    We think it is AWESOME.
    6 1/2 hours and its done. Very, very juicy and you can cut it with plastic ware. Excellent flavor.
    Harry Soo has an Umami Brisket recipe that is very tasty. The neighbors I had over to the house all complimented on the great taste and tenderness. It takes some time but is definitely worth it.

Yup the weber Smokey Mountain cookers are very efficient and easy to control charcoal smokers
    That they are. I love using mine. Temps are easy to control. My wife says she doesn't want to know what I spent for it, lol. But so far she has been happy with all of the meat that has been cooked/smoked with it.

Quote Originally Posted by silverado View Post
    I want to go ahead and call Bologna on anyone who says charcoal is too much hassle. I can cook 12 hours on a load of coal without adjusting anything on my weber smoker. Not to take away from gas or electric, but to correct some untrue statements.
    The Minion method will get you an even longer cook time on the WSM (Weber Smokey Mountain).

Also I've found I prefer using Kingsford Competition Briquettes in my smoker and regular Kingsford Blue for use in my charcoal grill.

For a thermometer I bought and like using a wireless thermometer. It has two probes - one for the smoker and one for the meat. One or both can be used. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ANCXJR6/ is the model that I have.

Boolit Master

Dad got a used Mr. Meat Smoker, I think that was the brand, back in the '70s. A vertical electric, with 3 racks (levels) and a water pan beneath the lowest one. He would put a venison roast on the middle one and some pork on the lower one. On the highest, he would put 4 chicken halves, bone side down. He'd put it on around 7 in the morning and check the water from time to time. He'd take the meat off around 5:30 or 6. It was delicious, great flavor and just fall apart. It lasted around 10 years before it burnt out. I had a Bradley for about 6 years before it burnt up. They are all ridiculously simple to use and most all give good results.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have put 2 equal sized butts on at the same time. My Traeger temps are very even across the grate so cooking temps were identical. One finished 1 1/2 hours before the other. I always foil wrap and toss in a cooler lined with towels. With 2 or more butts in a cooler they can rest for up to 8 hours and will still be steaming hot when they come out.
    Sealing my economy Chargriller with P-gasket, and adding an extension tube on the chimney down to the grate, REALLY helped to even out the temp.
    I also have a small charcoal holder for the side away from the firebox. I found that only a couple of briquets is all it takes to maintain consistency.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    You can do a lot to modify the Chargrillers to even out temp and increase smoke and heat retention.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Grand Master

Scored some St Louis style pork ribs and a couple more pork shoulder roasts this past week. Chicken thighs were on sale too. Happiness is a full freezer.

Boolit Grand Master
    +1 ^^

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234