WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Haven't seen these in awhile.....

Boolit Bub
    Uh, no thanks. I'm not paying match ammo prices for plinking ammo.

I love that little 25/20. On the other hand I found 22 ammo for $2.25 a box today.

Boolit Man
    Ah, the good old days of high school when Eley lr hollow points 29 cents a box-remington hollow points were 40 cents a box at the same time. I bought as many a week as my paper route would finance.

In Remembrance
    My son in law came to visit this week for a few days and had just had a gunsmith go through his 2 22's that he inherited from both of his grandads, but didn't have any shells. lol I gave him a federal 550 pack and a F150 to carry them home in, so he made out pretty good. lol

Boolit Grand Master

Dating myself. I remember when Woolwoths's Department Stores had 500 round bricks on sale for $1.75. They had a very nice reloading section back then. Normally two bricks would last a week and a half.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Dating myself. I remember when Woolwoths's Department Stores had 500 round bricks on sale for $1.75. They had a very nice reloading section back then. Normally two bricks would last a week and a half.
    I remember when Woolworths had guns and reloading equipment. The Remington shotgun slugs came in boxes of 25 and they were around $5 too. I would use my grass mowing money to get a few boxes of 22 ammo and drool over the maple laminated Remington 600 on the wall. I still have some Imperial 22lr's I bought from KMart with a 69 cent price tag on them. I believe they are from the early 80's.

Here's a link that will take you back in time. Grab your box of tissues.
    http://www.sportingcollectibles.com/22_ammunition.html

Oh wait a second...what's this I have here?

In Remembrance

I`ll date myself by saying I would pick up beer and pop bottles from the ditches by our farms for the .02 cent deposit. When I had enough for several 50 count yellow and black Winchester/Western LR solid .22`s (total was less than a buck with some change) I`d get ahold of my friend. We had a town dump that had a rat problem near the Flint river. A high school chum and I would ride our bikes the nearly 5 miles with our .22`s to shoot the rats. We always used all our ammo on the vermin, we then rode home carrying openly our rifles and were never stopped by the town cop.Robert

Boolit Master

Got my first Swede 96 from Woolworths, put it on layaway. Swede had all matching numbers and I think went for $50. They had Norma 156 gr Alaskans for $10 a box. Couple of years later bought another Swede, parts gun but brand new barrel, used that for a sporter. Looked in some of junk drawer and found CCI SR primers marked $1.59/100. Tim

Boolit Master

PSA has had .22lr in stock, pretty much every day, for some time now, if you're willing to pay $0.10 per round for bulk-pack type stuff.

I'm personally not willing. $0.06 was my cutoff price. I'm rationing my stash until availability opens up more.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by C. Latch View Post
    PSA has had .22lr in stock, pretty much every day, for some time now, if you're willing to pay $0.10 per round for bulk-pack type stuff.

I'm personally not willing. $0.06 was my cutoff price. I'm rationing my stash until availability opens up more.
    I'd really like to know PSA's reason for the $50 bulk packs of 525 Federals. They usually have good prices and I've ordered 22 in the past from them. Their other ammo doesn't seem that high either. Why gouge on 22?

Quote Originally Posted by 1989toddm View Post
    So what's the best .22 replacement? I'm very tempted to invest in a centerfire lever gun to replace my Henry 22. 22 hornet, 25-20, what else is in that class? Something that is easy to "load down" and hopefully my kids can learn on?
    22 hornet, 25-20, 32-20, 38 spl/357 mag from least to most favorite choice.
    my reasoning which is easiest to find cases for - which has the most molds available
    which can handle the widest range of boolit weights -
    I like Lee's 105 swc loaded in 38 spl cases over small charge of a fast powder like bullseye, red dot or 231.
    some of the best plinking fun you can have outside of a 22LR - look for a Marlin but don't turn you nose up at
    any of the other lever guns you find.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    I'd really like to know PSA's reason for the $50 bulk packs of 525 Federals. They usually have good prices and I've ordered 22 in the past from them. Their other ammo doesn't seem that high either. Why gouge on 22?
    I would imagine they payed not a whole;e lot less than that to buy them from a distributor/wholesaler. They can't be expected to sell them for a loss. Retailers are offering to pay more just to get a fees boxes to sell, so the distributors charge more.

Supply and (artificially induced panic) demand at work.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    22 hornet, 25-20, 32-20, 38 spl/357 mag from least to most favorite choice.
    my reasoning which is easiest to find cases for - which has the most molds available
    which can handle the widest range of boolit weights -
    I like Lee's 105 swc loaded in 38 spl cases over small charge of a fast powder like bullseye, red dot or 231.
    some of the best plinking fun you can have outside of a 22LR - look for a Marlin but don't turn you nose up at
    any of the other lever guns you find.

Been shooting the .32s a good bit lately. Model 30, Pre 30, 31, HE. They all do great. Cheaper than .22LR too!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    I can't believe anyone remembers Woolworths, that was my first job, got fired from it to, seems I was getting too friendly with one of the girls that the manager was trying to get friendly with. Of course he was more than twice her age and a drunk, IIRC he liked screwdrivers, had one in his hand constantly, even while walking around the store. Don't remember them selling guns or ammo or reloading equipment here, but you gotta remember where I live. That was a 51 years ago, don't seem that long.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master

They were 8.49 at wally world and junk at that price $50 per is part of the problem. My son and I shot a box every week keeping the duds to try again. At $50 we will shoot the 9mms we load for less.

Note we have primers and powder from years ago purchasing. The 22lrs we find now are for squirrel hunting.

Keep spending the big bucks for 22lr and keep up the shortage IMHO

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragonrider View Post
    I can't believe anyone remembers Woolworths, that was my first job, got fired from it to, seems I was getting too friendly with one of the girls that the manager was trying to get friendly with. Of course he was more than twice her age and a drunk, IIRC he liked screwdrivers, had one in his hand constantly, even while walking around the store. Don't remember them selling guns or ammo or reloading equipment here, but you gotta remember where I live. That was a 51 years ago, don't seem that long.
    The one in Bismark ND had an awesome gun and reloading section in the early to mid-seventies.They stocked P/W, Texan, Mec and Pacific shot shell presses. For cartridge they had RCBS and Lyman for sure and at least one off brand like Texan or Blair (Blue in color but long before Dillon).

As a twelve your old their sale onbricks of 22 ammo was what dreams were made of. Later when I was shooting a lot of trap and loading on a Pacific 266 (purchased at Woolworths) I would stand and stare at the P/W progressive (model 800?) but it was something we couldn’t afford.

Dad is a leftie so the Pacific 266 worked for both of us.

Boolit Bub
    Nice, great buy, hope you have fun with it!!!

Boolit Buddy
    I was in our local "Feed N Seed" a few months ago and asked about 22 ammo. The clerk said "We got some". By the time I got to the counter they were out. Clerk says "I set one aside for myself -- I'll just give that one to you". Federal 525 round box - $26.00.

So on the way out I asked to see the store manager. Soon, here she comes, wondering what I'm going to complain about. I tell her that clerks like ____ are the reason I shop at her store and that I appreciate being helped by nice people like him. She smiles. Made my day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12