Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: noe 314008 in 30 carbine blk hawk?

noe 314008 in 30 carbine blk hawk?

Has anyone used the noe 314 in a 30 carbine black hawk?I ask because a friend asked for a mold for his and I have had good luck with rnfp in wheel guns.I just have no idea whar the throats typicaly run in this model.

Boolit Grand Master
    My 30 Carbine BH has throats averaging .3085" (+/- .0002") and grooves right at .3080". Yes, it can SHOOT. I size to .309" with nominal .311" bullets (Lee Soup Can, Ly #311316) and get good results. You might lose some lube groove content if you size down a nominal .314" bullet to .309"--I suggest first sizing/lubing at .313", then re-sizing to .309"--perhaps even trying a mid-step like .311" just for grins.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

That's what I was afraid of.Iwas betting they were fairly tight for commercial ammo.I think I will just point him to a rn mold of correct size and make things easier.I just prefer a rnfp, vs rn but it should work fine for him.Thanks for the reply.

Boolit Master
    Mine is an OM, the throats and bore are as 9.3X62AL describes, and it doesn't seem to care whether the Lyman 311410s get sized .308 or .311, it just shoots them very well, and to the same point. I bought the MP .32 HBWC in .310 for it, and it doesn't care whether they get sized .308, .309 or .310, it puts them all in the same group too. Your friend's BH will probably like just about anything it gets fed. I don't remember ever shooting anything through mine that it DIDN'T like except some hoo-hah copper-washed GC boolits that were supposed to be all that and a ham sandwich...FAIL.
    Good luck and have fun with it. Ed

Boolit Grand Master
    This is my second BH chambered in 30 Carbine. Both examples are/were more accurate at 50 yards than were any M1 Carbine I ever fired, and only slightly less accurate than a Marlin Model 62 levergun I parted with a few years back.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master
    My NOE 314 was sized in a Star Sizer to .313" and lubed with Carnauba Red. My custom S&W loves this bullet, but be aware it runs heavier than the Ideal design... mine goes about 125 gr from COWW + 2% tin. I would think the 30 Carbine would like them very well. Check your gun's bore/groove diameter and make sure you aren't way too big with that bullet.

Regards,
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Bub
    My OM .30 Carbine, likes the lyman 311008 sized to .309". They drop .314-.315" and there is no problem sizing them down.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    My OM .30 Carbine, likes the lyman 311008 sized to .309". They drop .314-.315" and there is no problem sizing them down.
    That Lyman tool is a KEEPER, if it pours them out that fat. If you ever get tired of it, don't keep it a secret--I'll give it a good home.

Boolit Bub
    Yeah it is one of the few newer lyman molds I have tried that drops over the listed size. I had one .45 ACP mold that dropped them .444" x .448" they told me it was the alloy.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I had one .45 ACP mold that dropped them .444" x .448" they told me it was the alloy.
    OH, the ALLOY. Of course. Idjits.

Boolit Bub
    They did finally replace it with one that drops about .451-.452 behind the grease groove. It is about .448 ahead of it. That bullet is a pain to lube as it squirts out ahead of the grove if you have too much pressure. It does shoot pretty good in my Les Baer.