MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Accurate Molds 31-170D

Boolit Buddy

Accurate Molds 31-170D

Is this a copy of the Ranch Dog Mold (TL311-165 RF ) for Marlin 30-30 rifles ? I got a Marlin recently from a friend (336 RC on barrel ) and want to cast for it.

Thanks

Boolit Master

Without doing an exact comparison of the dimensions it seems to be close. I think the Ranchdog bullet dimensions are still active on the Ranchdog site. You could pull the two up and compare. Just a word of caution....I have several Marlin 336's and the Ranchdog bullet doesn't fit my rifles very well. Too much engagement in the throat to come anywhere near using the crimp groove. I know many folks are very pleased with this bullet, but not my rifles. If I seat the bullet to have gentle engagement with the throat the base of the bullet and gas check are well below the neck of the case.
    Good luck,
    Rick

There were 2 RD designs, one for Win, one for Marlin. Due to the large meplat, neither really worked fantastic in MY 336. I would recommend pound cast of your chamber before selecting a mould.
    Whatever!

While you are considering a 30 caliber mold you should consider three outstanding molds, Lyman 311291, Lyman 311041, and RCBS 30-180-RN. 311291 has a 100+ year history of pleasing shooters and is still Lyman's bread and butter mold. Somewhere around 1950 Lyman 311041 joined the Lyman line an has been a favorite of shooters and is still strong. RCBS joined the group with 30-180-FN. 30-180-FN drops from the mold at about 190 and with lube and GC will weigh 195 grains, a real hammer of Thor. All three have reputation for very good accuracy and any one would give you an all around boolit. The Ranch Dog molds are a favorite of mine also, I really like that awesome big flat nose all of the Ranch Dog boolits have. A good plan would be to get one good mold now and over time get them all.

The Accurate 31-170D is a very good copy of the Ranch Dog TL311-165-RF first mold (.227 nose and .916 length of bullet). A later RD mold uses the same name but is a little shorter (.253 nose and .857 length of bullet). You can buy Ranch Dog boolits from Carolina Cast Bullets to test with your rifle before buying the mold.

Boolit Buddy
    Exactly!
    Just a word of caution....I have several Marlin 336's and the Ranchdog bullet doesn't fit my rifles very well. Too much engagement in the throat to come anywhere near using the crimp groove. I know many folks are very pleased with this bullet, but not my rifles. If I seat the bullet to have gentle engagement with the throat the base of the bullet and gas check are well below the neck of the case.
    Good luck,
    Rick

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lastborn View Post
    Exactly!
    Just a word of caution....I have several Marlin 336's and the Ranchdog bullet doesn't fit my rifles very well. Too much engagement in the throat to come anywhere near using the crimp groove. I know many folks are very pleased with this bullet, but not my rifles. If I seat the bullet to have gentle engagement with the throat the base of the bullet and gas check are well below the neck of the case.
    Good luck,
    Rick
    me three. Ranchdog designs don't work in my rifles either

Boolit Buddy
    Ordered RD boolits (sized .311) from Carolina Cast and seated to crimp grove. The loaded rounds chambered fine and gave no trouble at all. Loaded approximately 40 with H4895 and shot them at fifty yards. Five shot groups were under 2". There was no leading in barrel afterwards and lube was at crown. I like the boolit from Carolina Cast and believe the Accurate Mold will do what I want.

Thanks for the info and help.