WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: 270 winchester

270 winchester

been thinkin bout my favorite rifle cartridge for some time now and wonder if there may be others with an afinity to the old 270 winchester like myself.

my first big rifle experience was with my grandads winchester model 54 in 270 winchester. my first elk fell to that rifle as well. would like to get back into the oldster but hear of few loading cast or patched loads for the 270 winny.

any others out there that have a love afair with the old 270 ... and if so ... do you cast boolits and shoot em thru it or paperpatched 270 shooters?

would like to hear of others fun and experiences with boolits and the 270 as well as papered boolits in the same. i know that a couple rifles i had in the past would shoot the jacketed into a 25 cent piece anytime i wanted to settle down and do some shooting. would love to be able to repeat this accuracy with boolits ... papered or bare.

thanks

Nope, .270 WIN's too old (though not old enough) and oddball (though not odd enough) for me.

I like .22's .284's .35s and .50s:

.22s for zip and mist.
    .284's for good BCs and flat trajectories (good enough for anything in the western hemisphere).
    .35's for economic silhouette and heavy brush
    .50's for a shoulder massage and entertainment (and it ain't going to shrink).

Boolit Master

I love my M700 mountain rifle, but don't cast for it. There is a group buy discussion going on right now about having a 150gr GC mold made. I'm very tempted to give it a try...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Buy-discussion

I cast for my 270. It is an old Savage 110. I tried paper patching the Lee 6.5mm Sweedish 170 grain mold up to .278". It tumbles as it is. I'm going to have it cut down and try it again. It might work. I also shoot plain boolits through it. I bought an older, out of production Lyman 280642 off of a member here and it shoots great. The second load I tested with it (17.0 grains of IMR 4198 and a .6 grain Dacron wad) shot a 3 shot group from 50 yards that measured .2 inches from center to center. If you want me to, I can send you some to try out. Just PM me. I am also signed up for the group buy. The third drawing is the one I want.
    I pity the baker,
    I pity the nun

I pity the one
    Who tries to take my gun

Oh, I forgot to mention it. The first paper patching sticky is all about the 270 Win.
    I pity the baker,
    I pity the nun

I pity the one
    Who tries to take my gun

well i am embarassed to say that i did NOT read that sticky post at the top of this section. i didnt do what kinda iritates me in others in not reading before posting a question. thanks for the direction and reference. it is a GREAT post!

Isn't a winny the sound a horse makes?
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

It really is. Gear did a great write up on his process and there is so much information contributed from other members as well.
    I pity the baker,
    I pity the nun

I pity the one
    Who tries to take my gun

pdawg ... nice!!! am i to udderstood that you be a 270 fan?

I wanted to add a Colt Sauer to my collection and really really wanted a 308 first and 30-06 second. But it appear so do many others. Then a 270 that showed hunting scars popped up for $900 out of Texas. What the heck, I bought it. Really didn't want another caliber to load, dies, cases, bullets, and mold. What a sweet shooting cartridge that in a medium weight rifle doesn't kick one around. I was expecting to pay about $100-$150 to refinish the wood (hunting scars) but now I consider the scars character as I am sure this rifle dropped a many of the small Texas deer, hogs and what ever came in front of it! I have a new Lee mold that was discontinued 20 years ago for this and about 1000 gas checks but I have yet to use it as the 130 jacketed bullet had acceptable recoil and I found a bunch for cheap. Sorry if I got off topic but in my book 270 is one sweet cartridge that deserves to live a long life.

i completely agree on the sweetness of the 270. i have been having an afair with this cartridge for most of my life. ive had several rifles but the magnum bug and bigbore has been an attention getter to me and clouded my eyes for the longest time.

now having been in alaska for a bunch of years ... i met many folks living there that have used the 270 to good effect on all the game that lives there. three of these folks have cabins along a river and live where only river travel in summer and snowmobile in winter access. these fellers depend on the old 270 for their yearly meat and bear protection. still dont know myself if i would want to depend on it and the fairly lite bullets for bear protection but ... they have several grizz skulls to prove that the flat and hot shooting 270 does all for them

for myself i will return to being a fan and owner of another Winchester model 70 in this snappy cartridge. cant think of anything it will not handle where im going to hunt here in the northwest of Oregon.