RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Another loose scape mount, need help.

Boolit Buddy

Another loose scape mount, need help.

My bushmaster 450 is really hard on scope rings. Twice now I found the scope loose. It kills aluminum, so I am switching to steel. Anyone know of a set of great steel scope rings. My first thought is Berrett, but that might be overkill.

Boolit Grand Master

Keep in mind if the rings dont give if the upper is aluminum the the uppers rail may be whats gives next.

Boolit Buddy
    Considering it is a flat top that would be bad. I don't shot hot loads so I am not sure why I should be having trouble. The first set was cheap, but the second set was not. Unless the second set was partially stripped when I installed it. Still want to try steel.

Boolit Grand Master

Check to make sure you have the correct buffer and spring in the rifle. A friend bought a new one and it wouldnt function with anything ammo wise. seemed smooth and right working action by hand. We took it to Cam[p Perry on our yearly trip to comercial row and bushmasters armmorer looked it over and found the wrong buffer was installed. A to light spring or buffer will allow the carrier to slam with to mush force.

Boolit Master
    My vote is for the Burris Zee Signature rings/mounts. The insert used in these rings not only keeps the scope from moving or getting loose, but they protect your expensive scope from getting scratched and gouged by rings that get tightened too much (or are out of alignment).
    They are a little more spendy than standard rings, but they are all I'll buy.
    Go here, to read about them:

http://www.burrisoptics.com/sigrings.html

Hope this helps...

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Love Life
    Badger Ordnance.

Vendor Sponsor

second the NO steel rings on a AR15 flattop upper .. on heavy hitting calibers like 450 and 458 socom you need to look for rings with wide bases ..IE the more surface area touching the upper rail the better.. look at 6 screw rings (6 screws holding ring halves together )
    a large crossbolt nut will also help in the tightening area
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Gentlemen, and I do use the term very lousily including for myself. Both of my 50 BMGs are AR uppers of the, DJs Habitual Tinkering design. Hence "Screwbolts" .

Now I know "Thunder" weighs 29 pounds and the "Montana" is 36 pounds. They both use DPMS smooth sided heavy uppers.

36" barreled Montana ( Montana rifle co barrel) uses a High rise upper that has vents, 20x Super Sniper Scope, (heavy) in Leapold HD steel rings. I and my friends have poped over 2700 primers in its chamber. No scope or mount fail/loosening. Tank type muzzle brake. IMHO, big brakes are very hard on mounts and scopes.

Thunder was built using 24" of M2 barrel re-threaded and chambered, mil-spec chamber. DPMS smoothy again but not high. Has 1/2", slide on riser that utilizes set screws to lock in place, threaded straight down from top. Wears a Bushnell 10x40 3200 mildot scope in a set of heaving steel mounts same as other rifle. I cut the riser with a band saw from the front 90% to the back, then removed enough material to taper the cut to build in 39 minute of elevation in the riser when grove is clamped together. I then drilled from inside the upper to the top of the riser and theaded the Top of the cut piece to 10-32 then installed on upper using 3, 10-32 socket head bolts up threw the charge handle race way. This securely holds things together. This upped has been fired over 3400 times, no failer of any kind, scope or mounts. I origonaly used a Madi-Griffen muzzle brake on this rifle but at 1800 rounds +- it was eroded to the point that the scope was starting to come back and say hello every time the trigger was pulled. Scope was not moving in mounts, recoil was, lets say "Noticeable" . This upper now carries a home made Tank Brake and is a pleasure again to shoot.

I do understand that a Light rifle will have different recoil properties, but these uppers launch heavy projectiles after consuming, depending on powder something in the neighborhood of 225 gr of surplus mil-spec powder.

The mount I used have 2 torque screws on each that pinch the rail threw a steel keeper.

I have one RRA lower dedicated to these 2 uppers. it carries fire control parts only with a second hammer spring , A1 buffer tube and stock extended with a 3/4" spacer and a Morgin adjustable butt pad.

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Check for tolerance stack on your mount screws, i.e., a too long screw in a too shallow hole.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure how to check if I have the correct buffer tube and spring. I did switch to a endine hydraulic buffer and found a set of badger ordinance rings. Time to take it back to the range and kill paper.

thanks again for the advice.

Boolit Master

Another source might be airgun scope mounts. Magnum break barrel air rifles are known scope killers. Take a look at scopes and mounts recommended for the RWS models 48 and 54 as they are known to eat glass and rings not up to the task.