RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Richard Corbin

Boolit Mold

Richard Corbin

Quick question for anyone who has dies ordered through RCECO: have you received any word from Richard in the past month?
    I had ordered a set of dies in January and sent a couple of e-mails last month asking for any estimate he may have on a delivery date. I've
    yet to hear from him. I had a great e-mail back and forth with him leading up to the order but now nothing. Any word or update you may have
    on him is appreciated.

SunUp

Boolit Master
    Well I ordered my set of .224" dies and core mold about 5 months ago got it delivered in about 4 days? Now maybe cause his site said it was on hand is why I got it so quick.

Boolit Master
    Having problem with a point form die I got from him. I have called repeatedly with no answer. Maybe somethings up?
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

I ordered a boat load of stuff from him about a year and a half ago and received half of it..walnut hill press ect everything except the dies..I waited about six months and couldn't get any replies concerning delivery estimates on the dies..like you I got plenty of replies leading up to the ordering but nothing after..so now I am sitting on everything except the dies...after 6 months of no answers I sent him an email saying I was disappointed with his service and I was going to look else where if he couldn't supply the dies ( I was talking to BT Sniper about getting some of his) I then received an email from RCE telling me he didn't respond to threats and BLAH BLAH BLAH ..It was a scathing letter to say the least and as a business owner I would never have sent something like this to a customer..so that's the last time I ever do any business with him...I think he is starting to believe he is ascending to godhood...Incidentally I have never heard from him since and my order and it was a $3500 die order..so good luck to you my friend...I have since sold all the other gear...and took up muzzleloading..much cheaper..lol
    ps the only good thing is he don't take money up front

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm really stumped as he has been in business for quite a few years with a good reputation. You'd think if he's had family/health issues where it would affect the delivery times that he'd post something on his webpage stating such. This not returning e-mails for a simple time estimate just doesn't jive with what I've heard about him. I will keep this updated if I hear from him, or not.

SunUp

May Liberty Increase!
    I last exchanged emails with him on 18MAY14. I hope he is well.

I've learned there's nothing fast in the swaging business. It's a totally different world than the reloading industry where you can get most anything you want right now. It has taken some getting used to.

I've got some RCE equipment and have enjoyed it. I have an issue with the bullet created by one set of dies in a particular rifle and Richard has been helpful in presenting solutions and explaining the reasoning. Sure, he's likely to get some money out of it, but he didn't steer me in the most expensive direction. He very well could have.

Regarding threatening to go somewhere else, good luck with that. I had an even longer wait elsewhere.
    WANTED: CH AutoChamp Mark IV, V, or Va - PM me if you've got one you'd like to part with.

May Liberty Increase!
    I think my last order was received within a month.
    WANTED: CH AutoChamp Mark IV, V, or Va - PM me if you've got one you'd like to part with.

I am not saying his stuff is bad quality...on the contrary..all the other parts I received were very good..but..you don't treat customers with contempt if you want them to come back...I felt I was led up the garden path then abandoned...any business deal I do and I have done plenty with good people on this site you must both walk away happy..not just one of you....I got the distinct feeling that he has so much business waiting he couldn't care less about an individual..if he.s years behind on crucial parts why don't he stop taking new orders and catch up..I hate being sold half the stuff I need with years of wait for the rest being left out of the conversation..I feel I have been scammed...I am only saying what happened to me and how I felt afterwards

Boolit Master
    I guess he's been busy. I did recieve an email. I love his press and dies. i just have a stubborn point form. It is a VLD profile and no matter what I try, I get stuck bullets. it will eject half way and then send the ejector into the lead. Not sure as to why .....almost wish I had done an 8s. He says they tested out great and likely user error? Not sure. Hope I can find the remedy. Hesitant to send them back as I might not see them for awhile. Might waste some more jackets in the meantime. LOL
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Buddy
    I ordered jackets from him a month ago. Deliver time was really good with in a week or 10 days.
    He said that jacket sales are abit slow right now . He also said he may be making 6mm jackets in the future if theres enough demand.
    I have some 30 cals that really are very good Prices are right too.

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    Quote Originally Posted by kweidner View Post
    I guess he's been busy. I did recieve an email. I love his press and dies. i just have a stubborn point form. It is a VLD profile and no matter what I try, I get stuck bullets. it will eject half way and then send the ejector into the lead. Not sure as to why .....almost wish I had done an 8s. He says they tested out great and likely user error? Not sure. Hope I can find the remedy. Hesitant to send them back as I might not see them for awhile. Might waste some more jackets in the meantime. LOL
    ^^^ something you can do that will help is try to polish the inside of the die with some metal polish and then treat the inside with moly paste just like you would a rifle bore, use a lathe if you have one... it will help, also make sure the seated cores you push up there are extremely clean, and you can polish them in some lemishine and ceramic media in the vibratory tumbler to do this before point forming...
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." -John Adams 2nd POTUS

Boolit Master

if your ejection pin is pushing up into the bullet try going a little deeper to close the meplat just a bit more this should keep the eject pin from pushing though and getting stuck in the core

Boolit Buddy
    Reload is correct, that is what I had to do with my 6s 6mm.

May Liberty Increase!
    Quote Originally Posted by Theditchman View Post
    ..you don't treat customers with contempt if you want them to come back...
    One could also suggest that you don't threaten folks when you want their assistance. I get the impression that Richard doesn't do this because he needs to work, he does it because its what he enjoys.

I know exactly what you're talking about. I've done it too. I was more than a little miffed that I got a press, lead wire, lead wire cutter, and other sundries with no dies; particularly when it was all listed as in stock. When I inquired about it, I discovered he'd had a death in the family and was dealing with the estate. That's when I found out he's a one man shop. I felt like a total idiot for the assumption I was dealing with a big reloading company. It's just a different world. One has to get out of the "right now" mindset and get into the "custom made for me" mindset, and it is very tough to do. This is just part of getting into a hobby that is very small.

kweidner, try a little more lube on what will be the bearing surface of the jacket. I've been having to place different amounts of lube on the nose and shank to aid in easy extraction without dents in the ogive on my 10S 6.5mm point form.

Boolit Master

my order was here in a couple weeks have you tried calling?
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

I did not threaten anyone...As a business owner (one man also) If you came to me for advice on starting a new hobby and gave me an order for all the components needed to carry out that hobby I would be morally bound to tell you up front that I could not supply all the parts or that there was a long wait for them...not sell you most of the parts and when you inquired about the rest ignore you

Boolit Mold
    SSG: Yes, I left a message recently.

I feel regardless of business or hobby, you have customers and their orders. They have no way of knowing what is going on in regards to the volume of (back)orders you may have and how much the delivery date may have to be pushed back. Regardless, when a customer asks for a simple estimate of expected delivery time, answering in a expedient fashion is just common sense. Richard went out of his way answering my questions of regarding the best set of dies that would fit my needs. Several e-mails went back and forth. I'm sure he was busy with other orders during that time. So now, after several months, I'm asking for an update on the status and receive no replies. It's a bit disappointing. I'm trying to give him the benefit of doubt but with each non-answer, I have to consider whether to cancel. I'm afraid by doing that, that will about the only way he'll respond considering the previous posters' experiences. As I said, I'll keep you posted as to the final outcome. Again, thanks for the responses. I hope this turns out for the best so that future customers reading this can be assured of timely service from RCECO.

SunUp

How about three years for two point dies? Prepaid, even. I like his products but will not order anything from him that isn't in stock . . . The last set of dies I ordered only took a year to get, but he didn't get the order. Swages take time to make correctly, even 2nd-rate stuff. Patience, grasshoppers, and look for other die-makers if you you are not satisfied with the way you are treated by your current source. I sure as hell did.

Boolit Buddy
    I made 2 orders in the last month with Richard and have gotten them both (Walnut Hill press, 44 die set, 40 die set and 308 die set). I inquired about what I wanted, was told what was in stock or in current production and ordered accordingly. Richard was prompt in answering my emails both before and after order. From what I can see, all these guys run small shops, except maybe Dave Corbin. We can sit around saying what they "must" or "should" do, or just accept the concept of ordering what is in stock or knowing there will be a long "indefinite" and mostly "silent" wait for what is not.

I work in the field of psychology. I find there are many really technical people, and there are many really people oriented people, and there are NOT many really technical, people oriented people. I respect Richard as a really technical person with some really good qualities. One, he doesn't make promises he doesn't keep on delivery time (if that means no promise at all, so be it.) He doesn't charge your credit card until the order ships. Until then, you are free to cancel and go elsewhere for what you need. He makes innovative, robust, well designed, and well made products and sells them at a reasonable (but not cheap) price.

I am kind of an old man, and I have learned that appreciating people for who they are and not burdening the relationship with my own expectations of who I think they should be, gives ME a much more harmonious outcome in most situations. I won't tell you how long it took me to learn that, or how many times I "must-ed" or "should-ed" on others before I learned better.

I am new to swaging and new to this forum and really appreciate the privilege to be a part of both.

Boolit Master
    rolltide love the handle! I am going to try polishing it with some flitz and see if it makes a difference. The ones that eject are incredible looking and accurate. Not all stick. It seems to make it half way out of the die before being impaled by the ejector if it's gonna happen. I have used tons of lube thinking that is the problem still with no consistency. I have never had this kind of problems with my .22 stuff but then the larger caliber the more pressure etc.