WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have homemade lube recipe for Sizing/depriming brass?

Boolit Buddy

Anyone have homemade lube recipe for Sizing/depriming brass?

Wanting to mix a batch of lube. Anyone want to share?

Le Loup Solitaire
    A lot of different people have a lot of different recipes for lube that is used for sizing brass....it is a big topic as well as how to apply it and how to clean it off. Concoctions vary from soap to STP and everything in between and one can have an endlessly good time playing with it all. I decided at one point to make it a simple project so I obtained some anhydrous lanolin (ordinary lanolin will work too). Next I got a hold of an ordinary (new & clean) ink pad....put a glob/blob of the lanolin on it and spread it around evenly and worked it into the pad. You take the case that is to be lubed and roll it across the pad and presto..it is lubed and ready to be sized in the resizer die. The stuff can then be cleaned off with alcohol or another solvent of your choice. Not much of a recipe..not complicated, but it works. Some folks mix the lanolin with alcohol and spray it on...do whatever is convenient for you. LLS

Boolit Master
    Anhydrous lanolin works well for heavy duty sizing. It's kind of a pain to remove afterwords, so I don't use it much.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

I just use a commercial Lanolin based spray lubricant called Lanox from the Automotive shop:
    ars longa, vita brevis

Banned
    I have used 2oz of lanolin in 10oz alcohol spray LIGHTLY but mosty use Hornady One Shot.

Boolit Master
    Or there's always VO-5 or Bag Balm........

Once again, not really a recipe, but they work.......

Dan

Boolit Master

I used to use lanolin or a lanolin mix for sizing machine gun fired 308. I was recommended something called Ultralube. It's in a spray can at Lowes. Just a little on a paper towel to touch with your fingers and wipe on the case. Works better than lanolin and not a greasy mess. One can will last several lifetimes.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_36318-75041-...ductId=3361382

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Good old cheap spray on kitchen no stick to the pan. The cheaper the better and it comes off quite quickly in the tumbler.
    No , I did not read that in a manual or stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.... it's just the facts Ma'am.

What's the difference between a pig and an Engineer ?
    You can argue with the Pig.

Boolit Master

1/2 STP and 1/2 light oil.
    After I get my cases prepped I run them in the vibratory tumbler for a while to remove the lube.
    Check the flash hole for media and load.....dale

Any more I use Johnson Paste Wax. One tub will last a long long time. Cleans off easy in the tumbler.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Buddy

Castor oil and/or Lanolin. Wal-mart has Castor oil. Can use straight or mix 50/50 with Lanolin if you want to use a pad/fingers. Lanolin in alcohol as fastfire said. Same as Dillon spray. Good stuff!
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    Sir Winston Churchill

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
    Herbert Agar

434-1

Boolit Master
    Not a recipe, but I really like Ideal wire pulling lube. A giant jug of it only costs like $5 and it isn't sticky when it dries. In general I prefer wax lubes for this reason.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

...lazy when it comes to sizing case lube, but I do enjoy making bullet lube

Love this stuff and smells divine.

A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

Boolit Buddy
    Marvels mystery oil, a little on your finger is all it takes.

Boolit Master

I bought a bottle of Alemite C-2 decades ago, and am still using it. Put a plug about the size of a lima bean in the Thumler's Tumbler, smear it around, fill the tumbler up to about 3/4 full with brass, close up, turn on, come back in 30 minutes and they are ready to resize.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Banned

Been using Mink Oil, like you use on leather boots. Works well, and I've heard it's exactly the same stuff as Imperial Sizing wax.

Boolit Grand Master

I use pure liquid lanolin bought at the health food store and mix 1 part lanolin to 12 parts alcohol. Put it in a small spray bottle, shake well before using and put the cases in an old gold pan (cake pan works as well, or plastic tub, etc.) and a couple sprays, mix 'em up by hand and size. Once sized I tumble them in pitch free sawdust for 30 minutes +/- and they are free of lube.

Larry Gibson

Lanolin and alcohol is the best, and you can make it yourself. HOWEVER, make sure the alcohol is 99% Isopropyl Alcohol. It mixes with lanolin much better. The 90% (or less) stuff, while it still works, tends to puddle the lanolin at the bottom of the container too much.
    I don't mind wiping off each loaded round. It give me the one last chance to inspect it.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Buddy
    I use mink oil also; sizing wise, it's pretty much equivalent to Imperial.

WP
    NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic and Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO

Boolit Grand Master

10% lanolin and 90% alcohol will make a superior spray-on case lube.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast