RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do with IMR 3031?

Boolit Master

What to do with IMR 3031?

I have 7 cans of IMR 3031. I load .223, .22-250, 6.5x55 and .30-'06 for a Garand; all with full length gas checks (full length gas check= jacketed bullets only- no cast in any of these). Those are the only rifle cartridges I reload at this time. I shoot pistols for the most part and virtually all of those are cast loads. I'm not out of powder but would like to utilize the 3031 in something and get reasonable accuracy. Any suggestions? So much of what I've "read on the Internet" said that accuracy was poor in many calibers. Taken with a grain of salt for sure.

Edited 2014/06/12 to clarify jacketed bullets only and calibers of interest

David
    Last edited by David2011; 06-12-2014 at 11:19 AM.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

When I first got into reloading with jacketed bullets, I used IMR 3031 exclusively for medium-sized cases like 300 SAV and 7.63 Argentine. I found it to be a very useful and accurate powder when used in the proper application. It won't get extreme velocities from magnum cases, but that's probably not what you are after anyway. I still keep a can around for old-time's sake, although I have not used it much with cast boolits. You can probably use load data for jacketed bullets of the same weight, and work up. Accuracy will, I think, depend on the individual gun and load.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    Don't take anything for gospel, especially if it comes off the internet. As far as 3031 goes with cast, try it, you may like it. If you are unable to find data for cast, use jacketed data and reduce it. Just be smart about it. Study the burn charts and check with as many reloading manuals as you can find.

I am currently working with AA 2520 with cast, in my AR-10-----good luck finding published data. I am at 2 MOA (two different boolit weights) and 100% functioning with this ball powder at charges that are 80% of what I load with jacketed. I have expectations of tightening these groups by tweaking many other variables.

Goodsteel, has a thread going about 3031 and his M1A, using MiHa's 180 grain silhouette boolit. I would try his load, in my AR, had I any of this powder.

Winelover

for .308 Win. with 150gr. j-bullets it does not produce the fastest bullet speed ( It gives up about 200fps) but is one of the most accurate loads for use in multiple rifles I have found. and for hunting when the temp. is down it don't change much then eather

Boolit Master
    IMR3031 works quite accurate in the AR15 (.223) of mine with 55gr Jacket bullets and my 1:8 twist rifle.
    Its not the highest velocity either being its a fast powder.

Boolit Buddy
    Some of the load data I have seen show 3031 should work pretty well in the 45-70. I have an 8lb keg of the stuff.

Boolit Buddy
    I have been using 3031 in 30-30 and 22-250 for 30 years in Contenders, rifles and the Encore. I have used it in other calibers and had very good results, but for those 2 calibers, I use nothing else.
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

Boolit Master

3031 and 4895 are interchangeable...what works for 4895 should also work for 3031
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    3031 and 4895 are interchangeable...what works for 4895 should also work for 3031
    kaboom!

Boolit Master
    David -

Howdy !
    If you or some buddies have .35 Rem, that's a great use ofr IMR3031.

Lyman's .35 Rem load data, is really good !

With regards,
    357Mag

Banned

IMR3031 for your 06 Garand, should be a dandy ticket, also IMR3031 is really good in 223.

18 grains 3031 and the nato mold shoots around 1 moa in my Rock River ar. 20 grains is about 1.5 moa. Not the fastest load but very accurate.

Darrell
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear the fool than to open it and remove all doubt"

Eph. 2:8-10

Kill da wabbitt!!! KILL DA WABBITT!!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Love it in my 45-70

Boolit Grand Master

3031 is my go-to all around medium burning powder.
    It was the first powder I put in a metallic cartridge under my father's watchful eye. First loads I ever made were 3031 and a Lyman 311466. Back then, I thought that "3031" was so named because it goes in a 30-30 LOL!
    I have since used that powder with great success in:
    30-30
    303 British
    35 Remington
    358 Winchester
    and 45-70

It's an all-around powder that can wear many hats, but unlike unique and other "jack of all trades master of none" powders, there are several cartridges that I have found that it clearly dominates the field. Most are 308 based cartridges or something close to it in case capacity, but none have impressed me more with that propellant than the venerable 358 Winchester. Best powder ever for that application bar none.
    In that cartridge, I suspect you will find omnipresent supergalactic oneness somewhere in the 35.0 - 40.0 grain range.
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 06-11-2014 at 04:05 PM.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    I've used it for years in 30-30 cast, and now in my 38-55 for cast loads as well. Quite pleased with it, still have about 3 lbs. or so. Sure it's good in many more calibers, just not sure if usable in what you listed. Look it up in several reloading manuals, that should answer the question quickly.
    Chris

SHOOT IT!

It was "The" load for my .243. 60 grain bthp bullet, 30 grains of then dupont 3031 had good speed, excellent accuracy.
    Was busting crows out to 400 yards when they thought they were safe.

Was strictly a varmint round, not heavy enough for deer. I killed a crow once when a round hit a pencil sized twig about 3 feet in front of the crow. Looked like an shotgun blast went off right in front of him, bits of feather, twig, bark tumbling down.

It also shoots well in my 7.62x39 SKS but I really don't expect super accuracy out of that old Yugo girl.
    Still it barks well and puts them where I point them.

Don't believe everything you read. Load a few "moderate" rounds and try them out.

Boolit Master

Humm 3031 is a good powder for your 30-06
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    3031 is my go-to all around medium burning powder.
    It was the first powder I put in a metallic cartridge under my father's watchful eye. First loads I ever made were 3031 and a Lyman 311466. Back then, I thought that "3031" was so named because it goes in a 30-30 LOL!
    I have since used that powder with great success in:
    30-30
    303 British
    35 Remington
    358 Winchester
    and 45-70

It's an all-around powder that can wear many hats, but unlike unique and other "jack of all trades master of none" powders, there are several cartridges that I have found that it clearly dominates the field. Most are 308 based cartridges or something close to it in case capacity, but none have impressed me more with that propellant than the venerable 358 Winchester. Best powder ever for that application bar none.
    In that cartridge, I suspect you will find omnipresent supergalactic oneness somewhere in the 35.0 - 40.0 grain range.
    Back then, I thought that "3031" was so named because it goes in a 30-30 LOL! you mean it's not lol

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    SHOOT IT!

It was "The" load for my .243. 60 grain bthp bullet, 30 grains of then dupont 3031 had good speed, excellent accuracy.
    Was busting crows out to 400 yards when they thought they were safe.

Was strictly a varmint round, not heavy enough for deer. I killed a crow once when a round hit a pencil sized twig about 3 feet in front of the crow. Looked like an shotgun blast went off right in front of him, bits of feather, twig, bark tumbling down.

It also shoots well in my 7.62x39 SKS but I really don't expect super accuracy out of that old Yugo girl.
    Still it barks well and puts them where I point them.

Don't believe everything you read. Load a few "moderate" rounds and try them out.
    Ghosthawk that's the same 243 load I shoot in a encore pistol barrel

Boolit Master

It is a great powder for mid sized cases.

It is the best powder I know of for full velocity cast bullets in the .30-30

Unfortunately I have never used it in any of the cartridges you are loading.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford