RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .44 special cylinder throat vs bore diameter question

Boolit Grand Master
    Asking even a soft lead bullet to obturate beyond the forcing cone is asking a lot at 44 Special pressures. Since it is well beyond the case mouth and pressures are plummeting it likely won't happen.

since that's in agreement with what's been said before I'd fix the revolver too.

just a comment.....we say "bore" when we really mean barrel diameter way too often around this place.
    Last edited by 35remington; 06-17-2014 at 07:09 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Al -
    I had a pretty good idea that distractions and disgust would be major
    players in that mini-drama. Been there, done that. I wish I could
    run as linear and thorough a testing plan in my private life as I could
    when I was doing if professionally. Too many distractions and competing
    required things that must be done, and no doubt the irritation factor
    isn't there when it is somebody else's "stuff" and time and money.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Bub
    I have a Ruger/Lipsey Flattop .44 Special. Chamber throats measure .432 (using a .440 round ball driven through the throat with a punch, then a Lyman dial caliper to measure the slug). Groove diameter at the forcing cone was bad enough that I could feel the threading constriction with a patch and fitted jag while cleaning it. When I first got the gun I did not have the dial caliper, but knowing that Rugers in .45 & .44 have a tendency to crush down the barrels at the forcing cone, I ordered a Wheeler Bore Lapping Kit The bore lapping procedure made me nervous, but I managed to enlarge the forcing cone enough to where I could barely notice it. I still experienced leading though.

This morning I did a bit more lapping, this time cleaning the bore and using a measured slug. After firing two .430 255 grain cast bullets over 4 grains of Trail Boss (using the 600 grit abrasive compound), I could no longer feel any constriction. Slugging the bore produced a diameter of .430... the same diameter as the bullets I am shooting. I haven't determined a procedure to measure the bore diameter beyond the forcing cone, but I'm pretty sure there is a way to do that. Accuracy with my old eyes is questionable, but good enough for my purposes, though I may order the next batch of bullets sized a bit larger.

As to the aforementioned Wheeler Bore Lapping Kit, their procedure is to apply the abrasive to the bullets before using and then loading them into the case. This is a messy procedure that will leave residue in your dies that will require removal before using the dies again. This morning, I just put the compound on the exposed band of a the Keith bullet with a bit more compound forward of it, figuring that upon firing the gunk would be driven back toward the bullet. I would think that a better option might be to use a cut-down cartridge or maybe a .44 Russian cartridge, load it light, seat the bullet with most of the driving bands exposed and then apply the compound to the loaded shell. You should not expect any level of accuracy with bullets used in the lapping procedure. This would keep the grit out of your dies.

Several years ago I bought a forcing cone cutting kit that cuts forcing cones to 11°. Now every revolver I buy gets the treatment. My Uberti Frisco had a minor flaw in the forcing cone so I recut it-

With one of my Uberti Hombre's I took it one step further, I cleaned up the forcing cone then did a little fire-lapping-

Before-

After-

This revolver is now smoking accurate and leading was greatly reduced.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12