Load DataWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Sprue plate tinkering.

Sprue plate tinkering.

Team.

Has anyone tinkered with sprue plates and made them from different metals etc.

Thinking of trying some experiments with aluminium about 1/4 inch thick.

Any ideas/suggests/experience?
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    If it where me I would be looking for an aluminum alloy that was a little harder than the normal aluminum as I think the softer stuff would start to elongate the holes in the sprues quite fast if the sprues are a little cold .

Just my thought on it , YMMV

Keith
    Only dumb question is the one not asked

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOoA

I bought a new RCBS 250K and started casting with it. The first thing I had a problem with was having the bases fill out. I also had a problem of puddling up the lead on the sprueplate and having it run down the mold.

I made a new sprueplate and made it larger and ticker. I used a drill, die grinder and hacksaw. I put a trough in the top like the H&G molds have, and the result was well worth the hour I spent doing it. There is no problem with the bases filling out and my lead has a place to run when I fill it up.

Crabo
    Last edited by crabo; 05-28-2008 at 05:00 PM.

Crabo, you're a man after my own heart. Like the idea of the big puddle that doesn't run away.

IceUSA, I have a friend in the aviation business and have asked if he is able to source 2 x business card sized pieces of 1/4 alloy. We'll see.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    Red River Rick makes replacement sprue cutters--don't know if he does the trough modification, but doubt it would be a problem.

Aren't the sprue cutters for LEE six bangers aluminum?

Someone made replacement sprue cutters for blackpower cartridge rifle moulds that had a ring welded on top so you'd really have a puddle over the sprue hole. Mike Venturino mentioned it and then I didn't hear any more about them.

I usually make replacements out of 1/8" 5052 Aluminum. I used to work in a place that had a CNC punch press and worked out a deal with the operator to run me a couple dozen blanks from the DXF files that I sent him. We used 1/8" 5052 because it's what we had for scrap that we could "acquire". It's also the thickest that he would go with that 3/32" Dia punch for the sprue locations that I wanted for .22 molds. I just let the sprues overflow for a few seconds.
    I got some 3/16" and 1/4" 6063 the other day but haven't used it yet. They're not hard to make if you use the existing one for a pattern.
    Rick

Banned

I was given a pile of 1/4" stainless scrap. I have to mill it to get it flat because it was rolled and punched. It is easy to cut until I get to the taper for the ladle. It will eat those cutters. I have to mount them in a four jaw chuck and cut the taper with a tiny toolbit I ground. It was free so I can't complain. Makes great sprue plates though.
    I detest the Lee plates and the small puddles but won't invest the time to make plates for all of them I have.

interesting! The problem Ole' Dixie has had with our production molds is the sprue plate hole was not sharp....tends to dig/break off the lead instead of cutting it clean.....worse on nose pour molds. Problem cleared up by replacing the plate with one with a smaller pour hole and sharpened the bottom of the hole.
    Just some thoughts, James
    Dixie Slugs (dixieslugs.com)-Home of the Dixie Terminator