WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple pour spout/orifice lead pot?

Boolit Bub

Multiple pour spout/orifice lead pot?

Has anyone attempted a pot which has multiple bottom pour orifices? That is to say two or four or perhaps even 6 so that a 2 cavity, 4 cavity or even 6 cavity mold can be filled in one hit? I see most casting machines have a least a two pour orifice configuration, I figure with additional insulation to avoid spout freeze more should be doable?

I'm attempting a semi automated casting machine which uses a rotary drum configuration to bring the molds under the lead pot in turn hence my interest.

Boolit Master

Good luck to you with that. I have enough trouble with only one spout! It would make an interesting project, but, I would never be able to figure it out. I can't see that in my head. mikey

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeym1a View Post
    Good luck to you with that. I have enough trouble with only one spout! It would make an interesting project, but, I would never be able to figure it out. I can't see that in my head. mikey
    +1

Shad
    I believe in gold, silver, & lead, and the rights of free honest men... You can keep the "CHANGE"!

Shad

Boolit Grand Master

Diffrences in mold makers centerlines of the cavities will be the issue. Another will be alighnment between cavities and spouts. It is a neat idea but would probably only work with certain molds.

Boolit Bub
    Don't know about Magma master pot, but, their master caster works great pouring 2 at a time.

Boolit Master
    My Magma 40-pound Master Pots have two hole orifices although I currently have them set for one hole operation.

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeym1a View Post
    + 2 on that !

Banned

I use the magma master caster pot set-up with two spouts.
    I use it with 2-3-4-5-6 cavity molds so it's not an issue.
    I even made a go with a single cavity mold for a minute or two before swapping out the cover for single spout use.
    but since I have multiple casting pots I leave it just set-up with two holes and just use one of the other pots for the single cavity molds.

Boolit Bub
    Alrighty. Once I machine up my plans I'll be back to wow you all.....or not as the case may be

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    I have seen a couple of multi-pour type spouts done on the internet (cannot remember where, too many years of being hit in the head), but the common complaint was spout freeze. You have to keep the length of the spouts short or your have to come up with a way to heat it. From memory, one bloke had trouble with the lead being a little cooler in the spouts further from the pot, and this lead to his boolits in the end cavities not being well filled out when compared with the ones in the middle. To combat that, he turned up the heat on the pot, but then the boolits in the middle were well frosted, and the ones on the end looked good. I wish I had saved the page of the bloke that appeared to get it right. It was pretty cool.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCbr View Post
    Alrighty. Once I machine up my plans I'll be back to wow you all.....or not as the case may be
    Please do. These projects are one of my favorite things about this site.

People who are told it can't be done, but do it anyway.

Boolit Bub
    Ah yes spout freeze. I'd anticipated that which is why I have a Teflon casing around the spout head. Hopefully it yields something positive

Boolit Man
    Ladles work better, anyway, in my experience (with a lyman bottom pour). I had not thought of a multiple-pouring spout ladle, tho. Maybe I will make one and try it. 6 cavity molds are rather long (in .45 and put a premium on fast pouring. Mainly, I don't like how slow the electric pot is to do a melt (vs propane fired plumber's furnace) and I don't like the 20 lb restriction (vs 100 lbs or more) either. the furnace makes smelting out steel clips, etc, quite simple and swift. it's a nightmare with the small pots.

Boolit Bub
    Better late than never. Yes it's an old thread but it's mine more coming soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    So far so good. Four streams of silver molten lead running into my Lyman mold. I'll post a video up at some point.

The blue is homage to the master caster design, the plan being to populate the main frame with parts I'm working on using the MC pivot principal.

Galena would approve!
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Master

whenever an old thread comes back to life I groan a little, but not on this one---it has promise of new things. keep updating please.

This aparatus is totally worth a short video. I'm dying to see it in full swing.

Boolit Bub
    Will do. Currently it's just pouring into a hand mold so not complete. Still a lot faster than the Lee pro 20 pot.

Boolit Bub
    YouTube video of the spouts in operation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu9FyZoE-aA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast