Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Cowboy Loads for a newbie

Boolit Mold

Cowboy Loads for a newbie

I am wanting to cast RNFP and TC for my 38/357 in about a 125, 130 or 158 gr.
    What should I be looking for and is it readily available.

Boolit Grand Master
    You have many choices.

The RCBS line carries several bullets specific to cowboy shooting and are labeled CAS - Cowboy Action Shooting. Most are RNFP style.

Heck, everybody's got some kind of style that's suitable - Lyman, Lee, Redding, etc. etc. You'll have a harder time finding a maker that doesn't offer what you want than one that does.

Boolit Master

Somthing To Remember

If you have fixed sight guns (like my Original Size Vaqueros,) try to stay close to whatever weight shoots to point of aim in your guns. Also make sure it feeds in your rifle. I use the LYMAN 358665.

You can tweak a little further by playing with powder charges, but the CAS crowd aren't famous for hot loads. I got a few comments about 44 Specials with 5.0 of TITEGROUP and a 240 LYMAN.

Boolit Mold
    Mr. Brown, I cast from the Lee 125 gr. rnfp moulds and either use trail boss to the low side of the range or tight group to the middle of the cowboy specs and they shoot very well in my original vaqueros and my Marlin 38 spec cbc. The only problem I had was until I found an OAL that the marlin liked I sometimes had a hard time chambering the load. Good luck and happy shooting.

Boolit Mold
    I shoot one handed and like a little recoil so I went with the 158gr. sized to .357. That weight boolit also works good in my rifle. Keep a pistol cylinder on your loading table to make sure all your rounds will fit in your rifle. Nothing worse than getting to the fireing line and finding out that some of your rifle rounds won't fit.

Sam Carp