Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Need Blackpowder Lube recommendation for Star Lubesizer

Need Blackpowder Lube recommendation for Star Lubesizer

My present black powder lube is an Emmerts type 500ml beeswax, 300ml cooking lard & 48 grams lanoline. In my Star lubsizer it's too hard to flow unheated, and I've put the air assist up to 90 psi. I have a CH base heater and at the lowest setting (unit just noticeably warm) the lube is way too soft and goes all over the nose and glistens. So basically the lube goes from a relatively hard lube to mush with no plasticity in between when heated.

Anyone have a good black powder lube formula, or even a commercial lube, that will work in the Star??

I use this (http://www.dixiegunworks.com/advance...le+oil&x=0&y=0) about half and half with bee's wax for summer, and Two parts oil one wax for winter. I add about two table spoons of lanolin. Works good for me. Also use it with smokeless.
    LaMar
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

I have a SAECO lube sizer set up with SPG just for BP bullets, since it's so messy. What you might try with the Star is just hit it lightly with a hairdryer to gently warm it up enough to get it to flow. It probably won't take much.

I've got six Star machines, but I don't run the SPG through any of them...........

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    i have 2 sticks of bp lube i bought by mistake... and i will never use it. could mail it if you wanted to buy it.

Thanks for the offer Triggerhappy, but I'm looking for a more long term fix. I have this lube set up in an RCBS lubesizer and the physical act of squeezing it through sizer holes also makes it softer, and more messy. While I still got some in the reservoir I'll try Reloaderfred's suggestion otherwise it's new formulation like Malar's suggestion.

Boolit Mold
    I use a old/very good formula for my SASS/CAS and 45-70 cast bullets, all loaded with 3F or 2F KIK powder.

2 parts Gulf canning paraffin, 2 parts mutton tallow, 1 part bees wax. I make mine in 4 oz, 4 oz, 2 oz batches

First, melt the paraffin in a glass container, inside a large pot of boiling water. Then add the bees wax until it is also melted. Then add the mutton tallow until it also melts. Stir with a clean chop stick for a minute +\- Let the lube cool, then cap for an air tight seal.

Shelf life is very long, or indefinite (but, I haven't lived that long, yet)

When ready to load the Star lube reservoir, remelt the lube in the boiling water container, stir again, and use a 50 cc syringe to draw enough to fill the reservoir to 1 1/2" from the top.

Let it cool a while. I use a base heater to keep the casting at the base of the Star at 88 to 92 degrees.

works for me.

John