WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steyr M95/30 cast loads

Hello from a fellow uk rifleman,
    I have recently been down this route with my 8mm Steyr Kropatschek and after doing various slugs (mine slugged out at 0.332" on the grooves) and a pound cast I brought a NOE 340220 mould from the recent group buy. It is a fantastic mould and Swede was a pleasure to deal with so I have no hesitation in recommending them to anyone. Only cast with it a couple of times now and am still learning but it is turning out some great bullets. I modified a Lee 0.329" lube/sizer die to 0.334" and made a new push through ram which, after rolling in Alox, sizes the bullets a treat. Heres my first attempt.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	108109

I couldnt find a M die that was of the right size so I made a spud to fit into a Lee 8mm Lebel neck sizing die and after a fair bit of fiddling and polishing it seems to do the trick as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	108110

Like you I am waiting for my variation to come through so I can bring it all together and get the old girl down the range for a bit of recoil therapy!
    I you want a few of the boolits you are more than welcome-just pm me a delivery address and I will stick some in the post.
    Good luck.

Boolit Master
    Silfield, PM sent.

ukrifleman.

Boolit Master

I wonder if 7.62x54r blanks could make good cases.http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...start=0&ndsp=6

I'd want to see what the flash hole looks like before I went too far.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

Doc do you mean to make sure they are boxer primed? Or does this cartridge need a large flash hole

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by petroid View Post
    I wonder if 7.62x54r blanks could make good cases.http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...start=0&ndsp=6
    Those appear to be long enough, have a brass case and the box has PPU for privi partisan which usually means a boxer primer. Worth a try...... I will if I see some of them.

Super Moderator

..............Graf & Son has PP 8x56R brass in stock :http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...ategoryId/793? for $63/100. Those blanks at $10/15 seem to be just a tad more expensive, and a bunch more work.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master

I read an article in an old American Rifleman in which the author claimed these rifles were made with more of a forcing cone rather than a leade. IIRC he had a like brand new rifle to work with.

To size a neck larger than normal I have used the Lee Universal Flaring Die with a custom made plug like an M die without threads. I had Jim inPhx make the first one then got my old Craftsman hobby lathe working to make additional plugs. Much easier than trying to make a plug for the Lyman M dies as there is no threading involved.

Boolit Bub
    Hi
    Slightly off topic, but what was the parent case you used to form for the Kropatschek? I tried using 348Win without success.

Quote Originally Posted by pdgh59 View Post
    Hi
    Slightly off topic, but what was the parent case you used to form for the Kropatschek? I tried using 348Win without success.
    I cheated and brought Bertram cases off the shelf. They are expensive here in the UK (nearly £3 each ) but at the moment I dont have the means to try and form the cases from the 348 brass. I will just buy a few as and when I can afford them and make sure I look after them really well!

Moderator Emeritus
    Ian if you are ever needing more Bertram for the kropatschek I can do them at £2.50 each for you.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Quote Originally Posted by dromia View Post
    Ian if you are ever needing more Bertram for the kropatschek I can do them at £2.50 each for you.
    Thanks Adam, thats very kind of you. I will take you up on the offer when I get her shooting properly and I have a few more pennies in the bank.

Boolit Bub
    Hi All

I just got one of the frankenstein 8x56r molds from a group by at NOE.

QUESTION - what do you recommend for a neck expander die ? Is there a Lyman neck expander for the 8x56r ?
    Last edited by HikerLT; 10-23-2014 at 07:32 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12