RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: IMR4227 and 280 LBT WFN load?

IMR4227 and 280 LBT WFN load? 44 mag...

I know I had it written down somewhere because I have some loaded with 20.5 gr. and it wasn't a max load and I don't load from memory. That would be interesting, in a gruesome way Does anyone have published load data for this weight bullet and IMR 4227?
    thanks
    Last edited by Bagdadjoe; 06-07-2014 at 07:29 PM.

I use IMR 4227 in my 454 Casull currently with hard cast PB RNFP 250gr and I use 27gr - 28gr. I have not chronoed it yet so I can't tell you what the speed is but it is a much more pleasant load than that same bullet using 34.5gr of H110 and seems to be accurate enough for what I want it for out to 50 yards. I have not shot it at 100 yards yet as I want to chrono it first to see if it is even worth testing at 100 yards. Sorry I can't get you right on your mark for the bullet you are asking about but that is all the 4227 experience I have so far with cast.
    Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
    For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
    This above all: to thine ownself be true

Once again I left out the most pertinent information. 44 magnum. Birthdays are causing slow corrosion in my brain. Sorry....

Boolit Mold

I was just getting ready to do some loads myself. Was looking for some recipes for a lyman 270gr gchp. Closest I found was a ly429640 275gr fpgc with a MAX load of 23.0gr of imr4227.also showed a MAX load of 20.0gr of 2400 with the same bullet . The site I found this at does not have many cast loads. Sounds like you were in the ballpark with your memory load of 20.5gr.
    Did a quick check of IMR load data and they only show for a j bullet, 280 sft-jhp with a start of 20.gr of 4227. When I run into this I SOMETIME use start data for the heavier j bullet and use that for my start load for my cast stuff.

I have a few left that I loaded marked 20.5 gr and since I don't run "max" loads I knew that was ok...just couldn't remember how close to the top I was in case I wanted to see if a tad more might squeeze some more accuracy out of it. You know how them reloadin' guys are I got this data from one manual or another...just can't lay my hands on it.

Hodgdon has data for IMR4227 and 280 grain jacketed bullets. Your load is just above the published minimum.

http://hodgdon.com/

Wonderful! Thank you very much.